15A fuse blow

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
gase07
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100

15A fuse blow

Postby gase07 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:42 am

I have a 1981 Goldwing. A couple months ago I removed my windjammer faring. Currently I'm without front turn signals. I have a new headlight and most of the necessary wiring for the faring is tucked behind it in a waterproof bag. A few months ago I had some problems getting my bike started. One of the things I did was change the starter relay to a more updated one. Unfortunately, i made the four prong connection backwards and upon first trying to start up the bike could smell electrical burn. I quickly turned off the bike, realized my mistake and then put it on properly. The only consequence seems to be a dashboard neutral light that is on anytime the bike is in neutral and anytime I pull in the clutch. Maybe that's a result of the aftermarket model. I don't know. I've since changed the relay again. It still does the same thing.

Recently, i changed the tach cable and speedometer cable and have done some more thorough cleaning than I'd ever really done since purchasing the bike.

Since that time, my 15a fuse blew. I replaced it and the electrical systems work again but only temporarily. The fuse burns out again after just a minute or two. I'm without brake lights, rear turn signals, dashboard lights and horn.

Maybe this is related to my relay issue? Maybe I bumped something significant while cleaning or installing other parts? Thoughts? I not even sure where to start to solve the problem.

goldminerusa
Motorcycle: 1982 gl 1100standard, 1983 1000c

Re: 15A fuse blow

Postby goldminerusa » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:00 pm

Seems to me that somewhere in the harness there`s a burned and / or grounded wire, a result of connecting the 4 prong backwards. In the MANUALS section of this site you may find a wiring schematic of your bike or maybe you got a HONDA service manual, with the schematic i`d start doing point to point wiring checks on all the 4 prong wires and the 15A fuse. Remove the battery first! In my srvc man. the R/W and the R go to the regulator/rectifier, the G/R goes to the silicon rectifier and on to the Neutral Sw. and then the Neutral indicator bulb, and the Y/R wire goes to the Engine Start Sw. The 15A fuse powers all the lights, horns, turn relay and front / rear stop sw`s.

gase07
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100

Re: 15A fuse blow

Postby gase07 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:55 pm

After changing the starter relay and again replacing the fuse the problem seems to be fixed, even if only temporarily. But your response will be a good place to start should I eventually have a similar problem. Thanks!

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”