83 aspencade blown 30 amp main fuse:(

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
dnesbitt69
Motorcycle: 1987 gl1500
aspencade

83 aspencade blown 30 amp main fuse:(

Postby dnesbitt69 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:25 pm

crap, been working on the small things, turn signals not working on start up, but power up after a couple of miles, and the neutral light always on, while the gear indicator stays in neutral while shifting gears. i read a post about how to install the new fuse links, and eliminate the old 30 amp bar fuse, sounded good so what the hey. i made the transition in great fashion, and decided to go for a ride. fifty miles from home bike starts smelling like burned rubber, engine only runs on high rpm, then it drops dead.
get it home the main 30 amp fuse is blown, know this because i use the stupid fuse that lights up when it is blown, noticed i didnt get the starter relay back in its holder just right and the four prong plug that connects to the relay had grounded against the frame , not sure if the red or the red and white wire grounded.
1. replaced the fuse ran the bike on the center stand for approx 30 min fuse blew, bike stopped running
2. removed the new fuse replaced the old blade fuse ran the bike on the stand for approx 30 min fuse blew, bike stopped running
3. replaced the new fuse system, pulled the RED wire, main electric wire to the bike, the fuse link light showing the fuse had blown went out, indicating i think that the red wire is the bad circuit in the system
4. the only thing i notice while the bike is running is that a black gadget, with air fins on it and lots of big wires, located under the false tank on the left side as your sitting on the bike gets HOT.
5. no notice of burned wires or rubber etc
6. radio still doesnt change stations, though you hear interference when other electrical things are activated, as usual, turn signals still delayed, and neutral light still on, seem to be going backwards.

i realize this is a long posting but i am trying to keep my 83 and enjoy it, any help is really welcome.
farside

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Re: 83 aspencade blown 30 amp main fuse:(

Postby dingdong » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:51 am

Have you hard wired (soldered) the three yellow wires from the stator yet? That eliminates the connector that causes excessive heat and loss of charging efficiency.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

dnesbitt69
aspencade

Postby dnesbitt69 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:29 am

yes they were redone a couple of weeks ago

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:34 pm

Is the wire at the top of the solenoid still grounding out against something? When the 30 amp fuse blows, which wire is hot?

If it's not any of them, you've got to find which circuit is causing the overload. Pull all of the glass fuses out except for ignition (obviously) and start the bike. Gradually put the fuses back in one by one, waiting several minutes until you see which one causes the 30 amp fuse to blow.

dnesbitt69
aspencade

Postby dnesbitt69 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:37 pm

with all the fuses pulled about 20 min of running a puff of smoke and a blown 30 amp fuse. found a circuit of wires, not rubber coated, more of a heat resistant type cover, i think two blue and three green, they "Y" off then go into a red plug, the other "Y" end appears to go into the dashboard display, the wire seems to come up from the engine compartment area just in front of the carberaters on the right side. trying to follow the wiring diagram but could use some additional assistance.
thanks for all
farside

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”