Sea Foam and tool kit ???

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
aznyaz
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100I

Sea Foam and tool kit ???

Postby aznyaz » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:35 pm

I haven't been on in a few weeks, been riding alot. The last time I posted I asked what could be causing a mid throttle sputter and I got several good possibilties. So far, all I have been able to do is run some Sea Foam through and even though I've only put 60+ miles on since I added it to a full tank it appears to have cleared the sputter up somewhat but not completely (could it be working or is it power of suggestion?). The bike felt really good through most of the throttle range today. I will let you all know how it works out. I may run another tank with Sea Foam just for good measure. Is that over-kill or good practice? Is there a limit to how many times you should run it through? Have not been able to check plugs since I don't have a tool kit with the bike and in spite of having spark plug sockets of various sizes in my tool box, none of them work, so I'm looking for an 81 GL tool kit if anyone has a spare one laying around or wants to sell one. Will check ebay as well.

Wingsconsin
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 - Pearl Orange
1996 GL1500 Aspencade - Pearl Blue
1992 GL1500 Aspencade -Candy Red
1983 Suzuki GS850GL - Blue & Black

Re: Sea Foam and tool kit ???

Postby Wingsconsin » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:57 am

..Spark plug socket -- yep ..none of mine fit either..but luckily we have the original tool kit for it so I am able to use the one they included...

Seafoam is a remarkable product...It is a cleaner, and a fuel stabilizer so it can stay in your bike a long time with no ill effects. I use it every other tankful but when I experience issues I would use it every tank as well...A few ounces is all it takes, a heavy dose will help clean better, but regular use seems to be the most effective and acts as a preventative too....The down side to a heavy dose or too frequent use is the exhaust seems to smell badly while it is burning off the bad stuff...a good thing I think..but a bad smell sometimes too... :?

Postings are my opinions based on experience and acquired knowledge.
Your results may vary. Universal disclaimers apply.

Motorcycle Adventure Storys writen by me
http://neverlost-justexploring.blogspot.com/

aznyaz

Postby aznyaz » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:59 am

Not sure yet if Sea Foam has done much. I've got 90 miles on this tank (@ 1 oz./gal. of gas, a total of 6 oz. of Sea Foam/tank), I didn't notice much change this morning, in fact it seemed to sputter like it did before adding. I'll keep trying it though before I start digging into other possibilities.

I do need to get a tool kit, but do you know off-hand what the spark plug socket size is?

Wingsconsin
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 - Pearl Orange
1996 GL1500 Aspencade - Pearl Blue
1992 GL1500 Aspencade -Candy Red
1983 Suzuki GS850GL - Blue & Black

Postby Wingsconsin » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:24 am

Spark plug socket size.... :oops:
Not really..I just know the one I had in the drawer didn't fit..so I used th eone from the tool kit and it worked fine...never really looked at it.... :roll:
Postings are my opinions based on experience and acquired knowledge.
Your results may vary. Universal disclaimers apply.

Motorcycle Adventure Storys writen by me
http://neverlost-justexploring.blogspot.com/

aznyaz

Postby aznyaz » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:59 am

I checked the plug spec and the hex size is 5/8" which is standard but the socket is probably too thick to fit into the plug well so I will need a tool kit or a thinner socket to get the plugs out.

scotterichmond
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000
[img]http://images.goldwingdocs.com/scotterichmond_32376/Modestly_restored_1975_GL1000_750/engine_repainted_even_new_embl_3919.jpg[/img]

Postby scotterichmond » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:10 am

I run seafoam in every tank. about 2,000 miles now. I could not be more please with how great this bike runs , since I started this .

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”