My1st Goldwing

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Neilnwks
Motorcycle: "1982 GL1100I Interstate"

My1st Goldwing

Postby Neilnwks » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:06 pm

I havn't ridden in 25 plus years but always knew I would someday and that it would be a Goldwing. I picked up a 1982 1100 Interstate with 69,000 miles. I plan on changing all the fluids and filters before riding but reading the forums I gathered that I should also change the timing belt. What other maintenance should be performed on this Goldwing prior to riding. Thanks for this forum and all people posting on it with their knowledge and experience.

portugeezer
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1982 Gl500
1984 Honda Magna V30

Re: My1st Goldwing

Postby portugeezer » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:40 pm

Just the typical stuff. Make sure the brakes aren't locking up. Check all of your lines and cables. The belts are a must. I changed mine today. Not too bad if you take your time. The pulleys like to move so keep rechecking everything as you go then turn the enigine a few times by hand to make sure you don't kiss your valves with the pistons. Get that radiator out of the way so you can see everything before you start. Little Beaver posted an alternative way to do it here but I did it the old school way. I have a GL1000 and a GL1100. I have become addicted to them! You probably will too! Let us know if you need help. I learn new things every day and don't know everything but I'm pretty sure between everyone on this forum we do know everything :lol: . By the way welcome!

patbrandon1
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 I
1981 Honda CM400C

Postby patbrandon1 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:58 am

First off, welcome to the site Neilnwks. This is a great Goldwing site. I go to others sometimes, for a broad look at things, but this one is tops for kind people willing to help.

As far as your question, the two most important things on your bike are tires, and brakes. For safety, these are very important to have as good as you can get. Braided stainless brake lines are something to look into for sure. I changed out all the brake fluid, and put on new lines, and pads as soon as I got mine. But the belts are for sure something to determine if they need changing, and most likely they do. Worth the effort, because these motors will run a VERY long time, if cared for. I ran Seafoam in my crankcase for 80 miles, running gently, and this really helps clean out whatever gunk may be in there, and helped a great deal with shifting. I would also flush the radiator, there is a good how to for this. If you do need to change the rear tire, make sure you do this...viewtopic.php?f=11&t=77. Also look over all of the how to atricles for a good idea of what else to do, i.e. carb sync, starter cleaning, etc. If I think of anything else, I will surely let you know. Have fun, and be safe.

Johnyy Smoke
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100
Vetter. "Its like Deja Vu all over again".

Postby Johnyy Smoke » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:50 am

Change thermostat and rad hoses while your in there.Look for leaks at the weep hole of the water and fuel pump.And you might want to buy a large box of assorted metric o"rings-you will find them VERY handy! All the above posts are spot on-an exaple of the great advice given here. Keep us informen of your progress.Regards,Johnyy

Wingsconsin
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 - Pearl Orange
1996 GL1500 Aspencade - Pearl Blue
1992 GL1500 Aspencade -Candy Red
1983 Suzuki GS850GL - Blue & Black

Postby Wingsconsin » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:58 am

Whenever I get a new-to-me bike I like to do everything...All the required maintenance items that may have been overlooked...replace parts with new, and clean and inspect everything...it usually requires new tires too...

I will spend about $500 updating everything (over the course of a month or so) but when I am done I have done 2 things I am certain about...
1) Establish a time line start point for regular maintenance -
2) assured myself the tires are good, the brakes work well, the fluids are clean, etc.

Brakes, fluids (rear final drive, radiator, oil, fork oil, brake fluids) and other maintenance are easy, reasonably affordable and a great idea..as well as getting you acquainted with the wrokings of the new bike.. All these things have an excellent "how to" somewhere on this board and with advice from teh folks here ..anyone with some willingness to get dirty can do it...

When I am done with a bike it is ready to RIDE with soe confidence it will get me home again .

Postings are my opinions based on experience and acquired knowledge.
Your results may vary. Universal disclaimers apply.

Motorcycle Adventure Storys writen by me
http://neverlost-justexploring.blogspot.com/

patbrandon1
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 I
1981 Honda CM400C

Postby patbrandon1 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:21 pm

Neilnwks, as Johnyy above said, we do enjoy being kept up to date on the progress of people's projects. For me, it is watching people enjoy their new toy, and I do learn a lot from others. If you find easier ways to do things, or tricks you have found through the years, I love that. It was on here that I learned that regular Pledge furiture polish between yearly waxing, is a great way to keep the shine up without much labor. It even works on the windshild and seat.

One last thing. Try to be patient. I fix things for a living, and once something has me frustrated, it wins, and I go bang my head on stuff. That is the time to go have a soda, or coffee, and get on here to find some direction. If you are patient, and careful, you will fall in love with your Wing. They truly are great machines.

portugeezer
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1982 Gl500
1984 Honda Magna V30

Postby portugeezer » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:04 pm

Very true! I get really frustrated sometimes with these bikes! I'm on my second one now and I have to say I would have never gotten the first one going without help from these guys! Just take your time and look at as many things on the repair you are about to tackle as you can. Ask questions here! I have asked at least a dozen and gotten answers! Good Luck with your bike!

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”