Timing Belts changed, now strange noises.

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
jbaljeu
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100

Timing Belts changed, now strange noises.

Postby jbaljeu » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:15 pm

The local Honda dealer charged for 4 hours (at $ 80.00 per) to change the timing belts, oil, coolant, rad hoses and thermostat, all bought at a Napa store with part numbers found and suggested on this site. MANY thanks.

Now there is a strange noise coming from the timing belt housing area. Hard to describe but chatering with a slight squel is as close as I can come up with. Clutch in or out, in gear or out, most noticeable while idling.

The mechanic, a nice enough fellow is rather young and I can't help wonder if he has worked on many 33 year old Wings and if he might have missed checking on something while replacing the belts.

I'll be taking the bike back and not wanting to sound like a jerk, if I could be some what knowledgable and possibly suggest a cure from what might be not right, I'd be most appreciative.

Jerry in Sarnia, ON. Canada.

P.S. I know many of you suggested I do this work myself but I have neither the tools or the work space to have done this.

scotterichmond
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000
[img]http://images.goldwingdocs.com/scotterichmond_32376/Modestly_restored_1975_GL1000_750/engine_repainted_even_new_embl_3919.jpg[/img]

Re: Timing Belts changed, now strange noises.

Postby scotterichmond » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:28 pm

first question that come to my mind is belt tension. or maybe the idler pulleys being noisey.

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:48 pm

Assuming the noise wasn't there before the belts were changed,one can only guess that it is from whatever was worked on.
If the belt tension is wrong (too tight),they can sing to you.Some little belt noise is normal,and I do mean SOME.I really have to listen hard to hear them.
There is lots of info here on the proper method of setting the tension,installing the belts and checking and cleaning the idlers.
If needed,print them and take them with you when you visit the installer.Not to be condescending to the mechanic,but for better information.
The "by the book" settings don't seem to be very accurate due to the age of the machine.
Spring tension,the book method, varies with age and the belt tension needs to be checked by some other method.
And no there is not a "brake in" period for timing belts.

Hey..you can also key the mechanic to register on this site...Tell him about all the great information here...I could help him fix more problems and become a master of the Wings :D
Here's a link to the 1500 belts from the Admin.There is a section that deals with setting the tension.It needs to be set accurately for your bike too.http://www.goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewt ... =14&t=9774

scotterichmond
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000
[img]http://images.goldwingdocs.com/scotterichmond_32376/Modestly_restored_1975_GL1000_750/engine_repainted_even_new_embl_3919.jpg[/img]

Postby scotterichmond » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:52 pm

As usual Virgil, you are spot on.

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:30 am

Virgils right, I think the belts are too tight, setting the tenison on the belts is kinda tricky, you really need to hand rotate the crank 360 degrees after setting the belts, now when thats done at 180 degrees feel the tension on both belts, one might be extremely tight or loose, what I do is I will make a note of that and put it back at my starting point T-1 I will then find a happen medium place on the tension so its equal as it spins not too tight and not too loose I call it it's happy place, but feeling the belt as you rotate it will do the trick....a belt that's too tight can be ruined a good tensionor [bearings]in short order, the bearings are put under extereme stress and results are high heat and failure in time..Many times fella's that are not sure of this procedure forget to rotate the crank and feel the tension as you do...I think that's what happened here...One thing about doing this yourself, you can actually feel the tensionors and wiggle them, if there's play in them or they feel loose, then there's a good chance they are worn out, that also could be making the noise if they are, but a good mechanic would have seen that, one would hope....Tensions too tight is all I bet...Virgils right so is Scotty..Oh what I was saying before feel the belts as you turn the crank you will find 100 percent of the time that one belt will be tighter than the other then as it goes back around the other one will tighten up, so you gotta find the sweet spot to even things out...

jbaljeu
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100

Postby jbaljeu » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:00 am

Took the bike back to the dealer and suggested to the mechanic what the noise might be. Dealer called two days later to say the bike is ready. The mechanic was not there so I could ask him what he did when I picked it up but the noise is gone. I guess all is well again.

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Postby thrasherg » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:47 am

Glad to hear they fixed it, I hope they didn't charge you to correct the problem.. Now go and enjoy your wing.. :D

Gary

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”