Starter Issues?

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
portugeezer
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1982 Gl500
1984 Honda Magna V30

Starter Issues?

Postby portugeezer » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:21 pm

I got my carbs cleaned and synced. I replaced my belts today and that went smoothly. I then took the bike for a short ride and it ran pretty good! This bike has had what is IMO a weird problem since I got it 5-6 weeks ago. The PO said he had just put a new battery in the bike but when I got it home the battery was very dead. I charged it overnight and the bike would crank the starter. If I left it off a charger within two days the battery would be dead. For the past week or so even when the battery is charged I hit the start button and there seems to be either a tremendous load where the starter doesn't even turn or the bike starts right up. I removed the starter and cleaned it up. One of the brushes looks a bit ify but seems ok. I bench tested it and it worked fine. I put it back in and again I got that tremendous load thing. I decided to try jumping it from my car. The positive terminal on the battery got super hot immediatly and almost set the boot on fire. After that the solenoid stopped clicking. The fuse was fine but I still think I fried it so I ordered a new one. Does this sound like the starter is fried? I have an extra for my GL1000 will that fit? Right now I'm pretty much stumped and can't really do anything until I get the solenoid anyway.

portugeezer
1982 Gl500
1984 Honda Magna V30

Re: Starter Issues?

Postby portugeezer » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:06 pm

I just took the starter off my GL1000 parts bike. I was looking on Ebay and they list the same repair kit for both starters so I thought maybe I can take the ends off the 1100 starter and put them on the 1000 starter so the mounting tabs would be correct. I opened this one up to clean it and there are washers in the ends that the 1100 doesn't have. I then looked at the how to artical and I see that the washers are missing on the the 1100 starter. Could this have caused the failure? I keep finding things the PO fudged up on this bike! I'm beginning to wonder if I'll ever get to the end of it!

scotterichmond
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000
[img]http://images.goldwingdocs.com/scotterichmond_32376/Modestly_restored_1975_GL1000_750/engine_repainted_even_new_embl_3919.jpg[/img]

Postby scotterichmond » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:21 am

I've been using this kit, it has way more in it than I have ever needed@ a good price.i like ti put the armature in a drill press (or a lathe if you have one) and lightly resurface the comutator, then carefly clean out inbetween the segments. lots of grease in the gears, a little in the end bushing and back together just the way I find the shims ( nevver seen one the same)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/STARTER-REBUILD ... 1291454%26

Johnyy Smoke
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100
Vetter. "Its like Deja Vu all over again".

Postby Johnyy Smoke » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:14 am

I used to clean and rebuild electric motors at a former job.When you stick the armature in a drill press-wrap some very fine emery cloth around a pencil eraser (use a rubber band) and lightly touch it to the armature commutator while it quickly spins.Cleans it right up.Use a single edge razor blade to clean between the slots afterwards.
Use a touch of naptha (zippo lighter fluid works well) on a clean rag to wipe it off after your done,it will remove any oil/grease residue.Treat the commutator like a light bulb-any oil\grease can be detramental to the life of the commutator.Regards,Johnyy

Johnyy Smoke
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100
Vetter. "Its like Deja Vu all over again".

Postby Johnyy Smoke » Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:38 am

Hang in there on the repairs.The P.O. of my bike said "all it needs is a rear tire". Well, I started wrenching on it the first week of April-and finished up 3 weeks ago.I got the timing belts installed, ride 2 weeks-water pump failed, fixed that- head gasket failed, fixed that ,front shocks leaked, fixed that, rear shocks joined the leaking game. Then the fuel pump went, etc ,etc ,etc.
I found a few screw ups from the millions of mechanics that worked on it in the past. water pump had only 2 crushable washers instead of 3-and they were all on 1 bolt. Front shocks had only 1 bush retaining ring-the other shock didnt. No exhaust gaskets in any of the 4 pipes.
I think that I finally (fingers crossed) got to the end of that trail, as the bike has been running just awesome. Once you get your wing the way you want it-then it will run forever. Regards, Johnyy

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:14 am

I agree - I did the same thing with my 1100 - basically fixed/replaced everything. Once you get it to a known state, it tends to just stay that way, with normal maintenance. When, after a couple years, something DID actually go wrong on my 1100, I had to shake my head in disbelief, because it had been so long since I actually had to fix something! :)

portugeezer
1982 Gl500
1984 Honda Magna V30

Postby portugeezer » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:03 am

My GL1000 was that way too. I ride that one almost every day. Thing is I just got that one to the point where it's great and started on this one! I was super frustrated with the starter thing! I'm going to take the carbs out again in the spring and put in new needles and also the seats if I can find them. I hear you can still get hydrolock regardless but I want everything as right as I can get it. If I hadn't found this site I probably would have sold both of these wings to those Harley guys that drop them from a crane and cheer! I thank everyone again for the help!

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”