couple questions about 1100's

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
dreschau
Motorcycle: 1983 gl1100 interstate

couple questions about 1100's

Postby dreschau » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:42 pm

i've done some searching but didn't find anything that really answered my questions.

i've got an 83 gl1100i. rides pretty good other than a few things that need tended too. one thing that gets to me though when riding, if i downshift to slow down it will frequently back the back tire.

this is the first shaft driven bike i've ridden, trying to figure out if it's normal, or something wrong with mine. i've ridden dirt bikes, four wheelers, an old ninja, and my buddies fatboy and all of those i can downshift to break just like i would in my trans am just fine. on my 1100 is the only bike i've had this issue with.

does this sound normal? if it is normal, is it because it's a shaft drive and all the other were chain or belt drive? if it's not normal what should i look into doing to fix it?

one more question, is it normal to for it to feel underpowered below 3k rpm? seems like it'll cruise at 3k+ all day and be perfectly happy, but if i get below 3k it just feels week. i know it's happy to be rev'd high, i'm not worried about how high i rev it, just wondering if it's normal for it to be weak below 3k. if it's normal then that's fine. if it's not normal, what should i look into doing?

thanks for any help anyone can provide.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: couple questions about 1100's

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:28 pm

Are you saying you're locking the rear wheel when you downshift? If so, I don't think it's due to shaft drive, if anything it's due to the rotational mass of an 1100cc engine and transmission, and downshifting technique. Are you "blipping" the throttle when you declutch as you shift gears, so to as have the engine speed matched once you re-engage the clutch? If not, you're a) wearing out your clutch unnecessarily, and b) causing your wheel to lock, which wears it quickly, shocks your driveline and transmission, and can cause loss of control. To ride these bikes smoothly, you really do need to engine speed matching on downshifts.

As for the power under 3,000 rpm - completely normal. 1100's like to be revved up high, and there isn't a lot of torque down low.

Wingsconsin
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 - Pearl Orange
1996 GL1500 Aspencade - Pearl Blue
1992 GL1500 Aspencade -Candy Red
1983 Suzuki GS850GL - Blue & Black

Postby Wingsconsin » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:37 am

The happy zone on my 1100 is 2500 & up to 5000 RPM's.
I try to stay close to the 2750 RPM's when riding as it seems to really love that 3000 mark to 4000 mark..the real power comes on at more like 5000 but I am just taking it easy....

Engine braking is an acquired skill that needs some practice...but you may be expecting too much, How is the rear tire..? On my 1100 I need new rubber -soon - and the rear can skid (braking) and slip(accelrating) quit a bit when I am playing aggressively....
Postings are my opinions based on experience and acquired knowledge.
Your results may vary. Universal disclaimers apply.

Motorcycle Adventure Storys writen by me
http://neverlost-justexploring.blogspot.com/

dreschau
Motorcycle: 1983 gl1100 interstate

Postby dreschau » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:55 pm

thanks for the tips. no, i was definitely NOT rpm matching when i was downshifting, hadn't even thought of it to tell you the truth, but now that you've mentioned it, when i pull in the clutch the rpm's drop down to idle (just under 1k) pretty damn quick.

it's sort of the opposite of my trans am, in my ta it doesn't give 2 flips when or how i downshift, the rpm's will go up of course, but there is no jerking, however if i upshift slow and don't rpm match it's jerky as hell. if i shift fast then it's butter.

so from the sounds of it i'm just babying the wing too much, need to rev higher, shift faster, and rpm match better.

i really appreciate the pointers guys.

oh, and the tires are great, dunlops with about 500 miles on em.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:47 am

Cars have a little device on them called a dashpot. It's hooked onto the throttle linkage, so that when you let off the throttle, it gradually shuts it over the course of a second or so. Coupled with a much larger, heavier flywheel, car engines take some time to return to idle when you come off the throttle. If you've ever heard a racing car quickly "blip" their engine, you'll notice the difference - they have no dashpot, and a much lighter flywheel, so they return to idle almost instantly.

Motorcycles also have no dashpot, and very light flywheel, so they return to idle very quickly as compared to a car.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”