Weird brake problem

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Thylanes
Motorcycle: 1983 Goldwing Interstate
1980 Kawasaki KZ750

Weird brake problem

Postby Thylanes » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:29 pm

I have an odd problem with brakes that hopefully someone here will have some insight into.

I have an '83 Goldwing Interstate with about 70000 miles on it. In the last month or two, I've noticed something unusual with my rear brake.

At times, it seems like there is NO rear brake....pedal goes down all the way, but no effect at all. Other times, the pedal is as hard as a rock, and it feels (from the way the engine is lugging) that the brakes are actually dragging a bit. This condition only lasts a few minutes, and then goes away.

I dont know where to start looking....anyone have any suggestions?

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Re: Weird brake problem

Postby RoadRogue » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:29 pm

when was the last time the brake fluid was flushed out. should be done every two years. Brake fluid is hydroscopic, it absorbes water from the air, this water causes all kinds of issues with the braking system. Anything from simple rusting of internal parts which can cause sealing surfaces to fail to pluging of vital small passages which could cause ( and it sounds like the case with your bike) dragging brakes. Plugged return port means the fluid stays in the caliper. Flush it out with new fluid , if that doesnt fix it then you may need to disassemble the entire system and clean the crud out by hand. See the how to articles on rebuilding the calipers. Dont cheap out on your brake system its going to save your butt. 8-)
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:50 am

RoadRogue is right - the GL1100 rear brake system really doesn't take well to lack of maintenance. Biannual flushes should be considered normal maintenance. If it has been some time since it was serviced, you may be looking at cleaning out and/or rebuilding the rear master cylinder and caliper.

Wingsconsin
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 - Pearl Orange
1996 GL1500 Aspencade - Pearl Blue
1992 GL1500 Aspencade -Candy Red
1983 Suzuki GS850GL - Blue & Black

Postby Wingsconsin » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:15 pm

WingAdmin wrote:RoadRogue is right - the GL1100 rear brake system really doesn't take well to lack of maintenance. Biannual flushes should be considered normal maintenance. If it has been some time since it was serviced, you may be looking at cleaning out and/or rebuilding the rear master cylinder and caliper.

But do not worry...with the helpful "How to's" here you can do this as well...
I was able to do it on all the calipers (3) and master cylinders (front & rear) on my new-to-us GL1100 I and now it works perfectly.

Postings are my opinions based on experience and acquired knowledge.
Your results may vary. Universal disclaimers apply.

Motorcycle Adventure Storys writen by me
http://neverlost-justexploring.blogspot.com/

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”