Back Together & Running

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
gr8jeep
Motorcycle: 88 GL 1500 2003 Shadow 83XS650 82 Virago

Back Together & Running

Postby gr8jeep » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:48 am

Well , got my water pump in , oiled er back up , radiator filled and ran it for a good 10 to 15 mins to get the fan to kick on , threw a clean piece of cardboard underneath to see if i had any leaks . Went out this morning and the cardboard is clean as a whistle , yippie !! No leaks ! " Knock ON Wood" Will see if it is still dry after a ride . I followed the DIY section here to change the water pump , did my timing belts while i was right there and all went well , This site is great :!:

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Back Together & Running

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:07 am

Awesome! Isn't it a great feeling to know you did all this stuff yourself? And now you know it's done right - you can trust your bike just a little bit more.

tom84std
Motorcycle: '84 STD 1200
2002 VTX1800
2007 Shadow 750
69 BSA Bitsa
2004 Virago
VW Trike

Postby tom84std » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:50 pm

Yes this site is great! What's also great is when you perform a task as complicated as the one you just did and it works out well. When my brother gave me his bike it came with a lot of neglect and problems. It actually took several weeks to correct everything. In replacing the water pump I didn't have this site to help me and had to actually do it twice because I had left out a critical O-ring which resulted in a puddle of oil under the bike overnight. Live and learn! I'm pretty new here but have learned to appreciate the knowledge and expertise that can be found here.

scotterichmond
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000
[img]http://images.goldwingdocs.com/scotterichmond_32376/Modestly_restored_1975_GL1000_750/engine_repainted_even_new_embl_3919.jpg[/img]

Postby scotterichmond » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:18 pm

and now it's your turn to pay it forward with your experiances.
welcome to the world of wings !

gr8jeep
Motorcycle: 88 GL 1500 2003 Shadow 83XS650 82 Virago

Postby gr8jeep » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:43 pm

My expirience with the whole job was its not for a begginer but thats just my opinion , i put many miles on my boots going from the garage to the house to look at the computer to make sure i was following the steps correctly , things would have been easier if my laptops wireless connection would have been better and i could have had it in the garage with me , something i am going to work on . I am a Building Maintenance Mechanic by trade so i am mechanical , the metal washer that is imbedded in the seal between the water pump and oil pump thru me for a loop thinking i had destroyed the housing when in fact it was the metal inside the rubber seal . It cost me 16 bucks for a used housing and as i was pulling the old seal outta the used housing i saw what i had missed . 16 dollar lesson , glad it was just 16 bucks . The step by step instructions where very good , i did mess up the neutral switch but caught it before i had all the bolts in and tight . Had my wife come out and used the extra set of hands to ground a wire to the case so i could reach in and turn the switch with the case pulled away , other then that i did it by myself , i have had it running but need to take it out for a ride , i think it has been raining here in Upstate Ny for the last week on and off , Thursday looks good here the last i looked so that will be the day i hope for a test drive . My next adventure is to figure out why my cruise control on my GL 1500 does not work and why my neutral light or OD lights won't comes on , also i noticed the kill switch does not work .... i have checked alot of stuff about the cruise but without any luck so far . Forgot to mention the timing belts , i found as long as i kept checking the marks and kept everything where it was supposed to be it was pretty easy , but i did have everything apart and out of my way , even though the belts didn't look bad i changed them after seeing what happens to the engine if they fail .

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”