Cranking issue

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
timwingard
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 Interstate

Cranking issue

Postby timwingard » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:46 pm

My GL1100 seems to have trouble cranking at times. For example a couple of weeks ago I stopped after riding 30 minutes at an advanced auto, went in for about 5 minutes and came back out and my starter tried to turn but just couldn't crank the motor. Sounded like it could not overcome the compression. So I went inside and asked if they could test. They came right out and when I went to show them the problem it cranked right up. He then tested both the battery and the starter and said both was fine. More recently I discovered that when I run into that problem I can tun the engine stop switch to off, and crank the engine, no issues. If I switch it to on while cranking if fires right up. I am wondering if any one has any idea what is causing the engine not crank and then 5 minutes later recover and fire right up. Also, am I hurting anything by cranking with the stop engine switched to off and then flipping to on. I bought this battery new Spring and charge it every couple of weeks even when riding.

scotterichmond
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000
[img]http://images.goldwingdocs.com/scotterichmond_32376/Modestly_restored_1975_GL1000_750/engine_repainted_even_new_embl_3919.jpg[/img]

Re: Cranking issue

Postby scotterichmond » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:37 am

Are you turning the fuel valve off EVERYTIME you stop the engine?

timwingard

Postby timwingard » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:18 am

I rebuilt the carbs over the winter and had a similar problem. I took the plugs out and spun the engine and it threw gas about 5 feet out of one cylinder. Since then I took that carb out, bent the float to allow less gas in. Every since then, I try and cut the fuel off everytime I stop. But sometime I forget. Still I would think since the engine spins freely with the engine stop switch to stop, that that may not be the problem, but maybe it is.

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:08 am

""""More recently I discovered that when I run into that problem I can tun the engine stop switch to off, and crank the engine, no issues. If I switch it to on while cranking if fires right up.""""

I've been thinking bout this statement.....
The 1100 uses both a mechanical and vacuum operated ignition advance system.

It is possible the mechanism on one or both are stuck in the far advanced position.
Normally,the ignition fires something like 10 degrees before top dead center when cranking and then advances to around 38 degrees on max advance.
IF its rusted stuck at 30degrees BTDC it will make it hard to start because the starter will have to overcome the pre-tdc ignition.

Do check the timing....It can also be just a weak starting system.eg..battery,electrical connections,oxidized cable connections or worn bushings in the starter.
Measure the voltage and current draw on the starter if possible.

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:18 am

timwingard wrote:I rebuilt the carbs over the winter and had a similar problem. I took the plugs out and spun the engine and it threw gas about 5 feet out of one cylinder. Since then I took that carb out, bent the float to allow less gas in. Every since then, I try and cut the fuel off every time I stop. But sometime I forget. Still I would think since the engine spins freely with the engine stop switch to stop, that that may not be the problem, but maybe it is.

Be careful about bending the floats....they need to be set correctly....your hydrolock issue came from a leaking needle valve or seat...adjusting the float will not stop this....changing the fuel level in the carb WILL have a affect on the fuel mixture as that cylinder runs...

An example..my 1500 was a bit rich running from 1500-2500 rpm range...I lowered the fuel level by just 2 millimeters to lean the carbs out just right.

For hydrolocking....I too just cut off the fuel as every once in a while,mine would do that too. :cry: Something about the moon phase,barometric pressure and gumbo I think. :lol:

timwingard

Postby timwingard » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:11 pm

Virgil, thanks for the feedback. I will continue to work on this issue. I may rebuild the starter since I have an extra and they both work. I really don't want to tangle with trying to get to the advance unless I absolultely have to. Interesting idea however about the advance being stuck.

moffat
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100
Interstate

Postby moffat » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:58 am

I had a similiar problem once and I always turn off the fuel tank petcock to ensure no gasoline leaking past the carbs into the engine which may cause hydrolock.
I found that after a run the bike would not crank over and the battery seemed flat until leaving it for few minutes then it was fine?. The problem was a dirty return connection to the battery from the top rear engine mounting bolt. I removed the bolt cleaned the connection and all was well. So it could be a poor battery return connection somewhere.

timwingard

Postby timwingard » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:23 am

I just want to do a follow-up on this issue since I feel I have solved it. The cranking issue continued to deteriorate over time so I decided to do the rebuild on the starter to see if that helped. In short I cleaned it, put in new grease, and put it back together. The brushes had plenty of life so I left them in. It now cranks strongly. I did experience some starter clutch slippage after the rebuild, but that seems to have gone away. It is normally in the 30s - 40s when I am riding now so maybe the temperature has something to do with the clutch slippage. Since then I have rebuilt a second starter as well since I have it. It had even more carbon build up since the brushes were practically all used up. If you have 80K miles on your bike and you haven't cleaned your starter, I suggest you do so because that might be the limit for the brushes. I went to my local dealer and they ordered the brushes from Honda, so they still have some in stock.

moffat
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100
Interstate

Postby moffat » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:04 am

Well done, glad you have sorted it out at last . Great to see positive feedback and an explanation of the outcome of a problem . It keeps us all intereted and there is nothing worse to petrol heads than an unanswered question.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”