Motorcycle Jack Stand

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Dakotaman
Motorcycle: 1983 Honda Goldwing Standard

Motorcycle Jack Stand

Postby Dakotaman » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:07 am

I am curious to know, if anyone here has bought and used the Motorcycle Jack that Canaian Tire sells, and if it is any good for an 83 wing Standard. It is on for a very good price right now, but am not sure of it's quality. Any info or suggestions would be appreciated.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Re: Motorcycle Jack Stand

Postby themainviking » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:17 am

If you mean the Aluminum one with a rated load capacity of 1500 pounds, I have purchased one, and it is a pretty nice jack. Fit and finish are excellent, and it will indeed lift a GL1800 so is probably good for it's rating. It is also light enough to carry without getting a hernia.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:24 am

I think you're talking about this one? http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4 ... ?locale=en

It looks to be absolutely identical to the one I have from Harbor Freight: http://www.harborfreight.com/1500-lb-ca ... -2792.html

If so, I've used it for a few years now on my 1100, 1500, and a couple other motorcycles. It works well, with a couple caveats:

- You definitely need to strap the bike down to the lift. It is not steady enough (for my liking, anyway) when it's lifted the bike fully up in the air in order to work safely on the bike. 1000 lbs of bike is a lot to balance, and a 1000 lb bike falling on you can kill you. Once strapped down, it's very steady.

- The release pedal, the one that lowers the bike back down, is set for much lighter bikes. With a big Goldwing, it slams the bike to the ground fairly quickly. I drilled a hole in the release pedal and put a nut and bolt in it, so that when you press the pedal, the end of the bolt contacts the frame of the lift. That keeps the pedal from pushing in far enough to fully open the release valve, and lets the bike down slowly.

themainviking

Postby themainviking » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:32 pm

No, that is not the one that I got from CTC, although I do have one like that also. It is very heavy to move around, and I did not trust it to hold my goldwing up and then let it down, as what WingAdmin said is totally correct. I do like your modification though WingAdmin and that may just make the steel jack acceptable for a GL1800. The one I got was called a "Nascar Advantage Aluminum Motorcycle Jack" and was a truckload special for $169 (supposedly half price) It is actually made by Torin and is the one shown here.

ImageImage

SteveB123
Motorcycle: 1982 1100I, 60A Poorboy, MSD coil

Postby SteveB123 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:31 pm

Dakotaman wrote:I am curious to know, if anyone here has bought and used the Motorcycle Jack that Canaian Tire sells, and if it is any good for an 83 wing Standard. It is on for a very good price right now, but am not sure of it's quality. Any info or suggestions would be appreciated.

Haven't used it on the GW, but used it on my previous GSX1100F, not a light bike. Works fine. Got mine on sale too.
Current:82 GL1100 Interstate, 60 Amp Poorboy, MSD coil
Previous: 93 GSX1100F Katana
82 GL500 Silverwing

Dakotaman

Postby Dakotaman » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:34 pm

Two concerns, that I am wondering about, is the width of the support part, and the and if it will fit underneath so that it will be sitting good, without placing any other supports on top of it's own supports. I've read on here that some have used pieces of wood, maybe 2*4s to help with the width, if it is a bit short for the Goldwing. Feel free to add suggestions if like.

firstwing85
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
1983 V65 Magna

Postby firstwing85 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:13 pm

I have one of those lifts, I love it, the width is fine on it.
On my 1200 I do have to use a chunk of wood at the back if I plan to remove the exhaust, with out the wood chunk it does lift on the headers and you can't remove them. other then that it is great.
I don't regret getting it for one second. it even has securement tie down hooks to secure the bike while on the lift which makes it more stable while you're working on it.
Johan

Dakotaman

Postby Dakotaman » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:33 pm

I was just in my garage trying two 2*4s on top of the jacks supports, and placed them the same way the supports run. It gives me more width, which I think is better, but my exhaust pipes will be resting on them too. I read on here that someone else did something similar, and he said it worked. I'm open for suggestions!!

Dakotaman

Postby Dakotaman » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:27 pm

Wingman, did part of your exhaust pipes rest on the Jack support, or would your Goldwing be a bit different than my 83 Goldwing Standard? Where did you place the Jack, for you to get good support, without resting on the exhaust pipes?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:31 pm

Dakotaman wrote:Wingman, did part of your exhaust pipes rest on the Jack support, or would your Goldwing be a bit different than my 83 Goldwing Standard? Where did you place the Jack, for you to get good support, without resting on the exhaust pipes?

On my 1100, it rested partway on the headers and mostly on the engine. Never had a problem with this. The only way I could get the bike to balance correctly was to have it rest partly on the headers.

Dakotaman

Postby Dakotaman » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:42 pm

I'm not a mechanic, but your saying the pipes that come out of the heads and down close to motor, which the exhaust pipe and then the muffler are connected to are the headers? Did you use any wood also? I measured the rubber covered supports, and they are 12" long. Was your Goldwing an Interstate or Aspencade, and would my Standard be similar? Thanks for replying!!

Dakotaman

Postby Dakotaman » Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:06 pm

Correction on the size of my support platforms on my Jack Stand. They are less than 12 inches long. I would like to know from someone if I can use it with my Goldwing Standard, even if I have to modify it with wood pieces. If I can't I will return it.

Dakotaman

Postby Dakotaman » Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:42 pm

If I use wood with the stand, should the would be at a 90 degree across the foot platforms, or parallell with the jack foot platforms? Does the Jack have to be under the framing, or can the two pieces of wood be under the motor? I don't want to try it until I really know how it can be done.

themainviking

Postby themainviking » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:23 pm

I know, if it was me, and I was going to put wood crosswise or 90 degrees to the jack arms, I would make it into a squared off framework, so that the wood could not separate. I picture one of the pieces of wood turning over and dumping the bike off the jack. When I was at Wing Ding 33, last year (2011) they were selling saddle like things that fit right over the arms of jacks which perfectly aligned to the bike frame rails, and left about a quarter of an inch free below the motor, so they sat right against the frame and the bike did not rock. With care, I have not found this to be necessary, but sooner or later I am probably going to make one of these. I really hate the wobbly nature of my GL1800 on a flat jack. If I had the room, I would have a full jack table, but we ain't all lucky enough for that. :lol: The jack I just bought has two pieces that fit on top of the jack arms to add 1 9/16 inches to it's height. I think they just might be bendable into what I want. Or not - we'll see.

ImageImage

Dakotaman

Postby Dakotaman » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:29 am

Wingman, and whomever else has a 1983 wing standard. From what I can see, my actual frame by the motor is much higher than the bottom of the motor. Putting my , exhaust pipes lower than the bottom of the motor. I don't suppose a person can use the bottom of the motor for support either. I don't want to be a bother, but this is puzzling me. Can one of these Canadian Tire Jacks even work with my 1983 wing standard? If it can, would someone that has my year of wing, tell me how they accomplished it?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:44 am

Dakotaman wrote:Wingman, and whomever else has a 1983 wing standard. From what I can see, my actual frame by the motor is much higher than the bottom of the motor. Putting my , exhaust pipes lower than the bottom of the motor. I don't suppose a person can use the bottom of the motor for support either. I don't want to be a bother, but this is puzzling me. Can one of these Canadian Tire Jacks even work with my 1983 wing standard? If it can, would someone that has my year of wing, tell me how they accomplished it?

Nothing wrong with using the bottom of the engine for support. It's bolted directly into the frame, and it's quite solid - it's not like an oil pan on the bottom of a car engine.

Dakotaman

Postby Dakotaman » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:42 pm

Thanks for replying Wingman!! I was wondering if it would be solid enough. I certainly feel better hearing it from you!! Thanks again!!!

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”