My Goldwing House

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
patbrandon1
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 I
1981 Honda CM400C

My Goldwing House

Postby patbrandon1 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:31 pm

Just wanted to share something I was blessed to be able to do. I don't have a garage, and wasn't liking putting my Wing in the garden shed where I couldn't really do anything to it in the winter, or on rainy days. So rather than trying to find someone to marry that has a garage, or would buy me one, I was able to make a garage/shed kinda thing. It is a 12 X 12 steel roofed, steel sided combination workshop, Wing shelter. My great friend Ryan did a lot of the work. I had broken my back around seven years ago, and couldn't do the high stuff. I asked him if he would help, and he did almost all this work for nothing. Although I am not a rich man by any means, I will persuade him to take something for his labor. I am very grateful. Here are a few pictures I took. Ryan has more, and I may put them up too, when I get them.

The first photo below shows the slab that I put it on. It was part of a patio that I never used. It did present some challenges for getting things level and plumb. There were some cracks and dips. But it was actually fun getting it all figured out. Believe it or not, when I put a level on any part of this building, the little bubble is dead center. I probably took too long getting it so precise, but it pays off when sheeting.

Second photo is the roofing, siding, and rafter lumber. Stuff is kind of expensive. But I did some siferin, and figured that the wood, and windows that I got for free, were worth between $500, and $600. Some of the biggest expense was the fascia, and soffit material. But I wanted it to look nice, and be low maintenance.

The third pic is just a photo for Ryan that he wanted me to send him to show how close I was to needing his help on the roof.

The last pic is the completed project, less the roll up door to be installed on Friday.

I will post a %100 finished Wingarage as soon as it is all done, with my GL1100 in it. Total cost of the materials for the whole project out of pocket is $1,187.94. I plan on trying to give Ryan $500 for his work. I have a tough time taking help for free. Thanks for checking it out.
Attachments
Someone tore down an old shed and deck, and I got all the wood for free
Someone tore down an old shed and deck, and I got all the wood for free
I did have to buy the rafter lumber.  $540 doesn't go very far any longer, does it?
I did have to buy the rafter lumber. $540 doesn't go very far any longer, does it?
I primer sealed all the frame.  It was varied in color and such, and the paint just made it look nicer.
I primer sealed all the frame. It was varied in color and such, and the paint just made it look nicer.
Completed, except for the roll up door to be put up Friday.  Also, I will redo the downspout that I temporarily re-routed.
Completed, except for the roll up door to be put up Friday. Also, I will redo the downspout that I temporarily re-routed.

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Re: My Goldwing House

Postby thrasherg » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:15 am

Congratulations, that looks very nice and is a great size for a bike.. you need to run electricity to it, so you can put a battery saver on the wing whilst it's laid up for winter.. :lol:

Gary

patbrandon1
1981 Honda CM400C

Postby patbrandon1 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:00 am

thrasherg wrote:Congratulations, that looks very nice and is a great size for a bike.. you need to run electricity to it, so you can put a battery saver on the wing whilst it's laid up for winter.. :lol:

Gary

Thank you Gary. I will be running electrical to it. I had to run a 50 ft extension cord to my garden shed to run the tender for years, and it will be nice to be able to just plug in. You know that shed someone tore down and let me have? It had wire and boxes still attached, and I was able to save that too. So I will have little expense in running power to it. I also salvaged a 4' flo light fixture. I will probably buy another one of those though. I am like a kid with a new toy with this workshop shed. :D Thanks again.

patbrandon1
1981 Honda CM400C

Postby patbrandon1 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:35 am

I found a few more pics of the project.
Attachments
This is what the neighbors mostly see.
This is what the neighbors mostly see.
Putting on the siding, Monday, I think.
Putting on the siding, Monday, I think.
Believe it or not, the Wing will fit through the side door if need be too.
Believe it or not, the Wing will fit through the side door if need be too.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:20 am

Depending where you live, insulation might be a good thing. If you check the craigslist or newspaper classifieds etc in your area, sometimes styrofoam roofing from flat roof projects is availabe for next to nothing and makes great shed and garage insulation.

P.S.: I love the Bay City area
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:30 am

thrasherg wrote:Congratulations, that looks very nice and is a great size for a bike.. you need to run electricity to it, so you can put a battery saver on the wing whilst it's laid up for winter.. :lol:

Or just use one of these things - I love solar!!

5-Watt Solar Tender Charger With Built-in Controller

hockeystuff54
Motorcycle: 1980 honda goldwing gl 1100

Postby hockeystuff54 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:00 pm

always great to have a spot that you can use to work on your bike without having to move stuff or being crowded ,im rebuilding an 80 gw and that was one of my first priorities ,you can never have enough working space ,and its sure nice to have the power supply,great job on the wing house ,

hockeystuff54

Postby hockeystuff54 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:30 pm

this is the shop im putting up to house my winter projects ,you can never have enough space

patbrandon1
1981 Honda CM400C

Postby patbrandon1 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:47 pm

Some nice suggestions. The solar tender is on my new Christmas list. I appreciate you guys taking time to comment. My roll up door isn't going to be in until Friday or Monday now, but that really doesn't matter. There may not be snow here for a bit, but you never know in this Michigan state. So I am spending some time, over thinking the side door ideas. :idea: The panel I cut from the sheet steel for that opening is what is going on the outside of the door. So the tolerances are going to be very close. And because the sheeting has humps on it, the hardware install need some pondering. Do you guys think that a half inch plywood sheet on a 2X4 frame will be strong enough for a 3' door? I think I got it figured out though. I will post pics of what I come up with. hockeystuff54, that is quit a bit of room you are making. You must have some large Winter projects in mind.

hockeystuff54

Postby hockeystuff54 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:48 pm

just keep in mind to make sure you have a god header for your dooor ,thats the most important part as you can always adjust size by shimming ,of all the things you want is a door that operates smoothly and freely,god luck with it and post some completed pics when your done

patbrandon1
1981 Honda CM400C

Postby patbrandon1 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:59 am

I put the roll up door on Sunday. I am going to build the side door Monday. I have brown corners to put on, and it will finish the look a little. Almost completed, and all before the snow flies. I also fixed the downspout I had to temporarily re-route.

Better downspout appearance.
Better downspout appearance.

New 6' X 7' roll up door installed.
New 6' X 7' roll up door installed.

hockeystuff54

Postby hockeystuff54 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:30 pm

good job ,looks good and is practical,now you can get the bike work done and be warm and dry,well done

patbrandon1
1981 Honda CM400C

Postby patbrandon1 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:58 pm

Thanks hockeystuff. I did make the side door today. Yard work called, so I didn't put the steel sheeting on it. Tomorrow that will be done. And, my brother-in-law is giving me a motorcycle jack he bought many years ago, and never used. So, a few more days, and a few more photos, after the sheeting is on the door, and the corner trim in place. Then I can post the last photo, and one of my Wing in her new home, all snug and ready for some TLC.

In the pic, you may notice the leaves. I had to rake rather then finish the workshop. It was finally dry enough to rake some. It has been rather wet and rainy here for like three weeks, so I had to get while the gettin' was dry. ;)

Do you think I should paint the hinges and lock set to match the roof and corner trim? I see many sheds with black hinges, but what do you all think?
Attachments
Side door hung, waiting for sheeting.
Side door hung, waiting for sheeting.

patbrandon1
1981 Honda CM400C

Postby patbrandon1 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:42 pm

Done! I have a few things like shelves, and a heater to install inside, but the outside is finished. Here are a couple final photos.
Trim corners in place
Trim corners in place

In the next pic, my buddy Ryan (who did a lot of the work) inspects the final product.
Ryan Inspecting
Ryan Inspecting

patbrandon1
1981 Honda CM400C

Postby patbrandon1 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:02 am

On a sadder note, my valve stem on the rear tire failed, and the tire went flat. Good news is, it wasn't while I was riding, bad news is, when it went flat, it fell against the new shed. I'm not sure how, as the bike was leaning away from the shed, but fell the other way. Oh well, there was only a very small dent in the shed, and the bike sustained no major damage. I am going to miss some riding because of the valve stem. My original plan was to get new tires, and do the maintenance when one has the rear tire off. I have the tires, now I need to order 90 degree stainless stems. Missed a couple really nice fall days I could have been riding. Things could have been much worse. Maybe I will post some inside pics when it is all done. It is a nice little shop inside.
Attachments
Middle arrow indicate where it fell on the building.
Middle arrow indicate where it fell on the building.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:42 am

Although you got a small dent on the shed, I would MUCH rather have a valve stem fail while parked than while at 65 mph on the highway!! You're absolutely right, it could be much worse.

I love your little shop, it looks professional, even the soffets look great. I'm working on plans to build a little house of my own right now - I don't think it's going to get started before the snow flies this year, so probably in the spring. With the trailer and three bikes filling my garage, I need some more space!

NKYWinger
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade
2003 GL1800

Postby NKYWinger » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:56 pm

That is one nice looking bike garage, you should be proud of it! Insulate the heck out of it and put in a heater so you can spend those cold, winter hours in a warm shop working on the bike!
--John--

FTCS(SS) USN Ret.
'83 GL1100 Aspy (SOLD)
'03 GL1800
'08 Lees-ure Lite
GWRRA 339547 KY - 'G'
DS# 1547

Ghostrider52005
Motorcycle: 1985 GL 1200 LTD, 1984 GL1200 Interstate, VS 700 Suzuki Intruder.

Postby Ghostrider52005 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:53 pm

Great looking lil shop. Mine sits on the covered porch on the end of my house. No sides just the house roof extends out over the porch which is as wide as the end of the house. Totally cleared of everything else, porch swing etc I can fit all three bikes on there if I remove the insta trike from the wifes interstate.
Id toyed with the idea of enclosing the entire porch and turning it into a sort of attached bike garage. The wife isnt that crazy about the idea since for her trike to go on there in one piece one end of the porch would have to have a wider ramp built and do away with the steps since it is about a foot above ground. Still working on her though :lol:
For now my bike and the intruder sit on the porch and her trike outside in drive with a fabric cover. Once Im sure she wont be or I wont be taking it out again this year Ill pull the trike and put the bike itself on the porch also and just cover the trike attachment.
I would like a garage but my son in law has a bike shop 1/4 mile up the road where I do most of my work on them so the shop to work in part of seems a little redundant.

patbrandon1
1981 Honda CM400C

Postby patbrandon1 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:21 pm

Yes WingAdmin, I feel pretty blessed that the valve went when it did. I now have the stems, and rubber. All I need to do is get them mounted. I usually ride until there is snow flying, but the powers that be decided this year I will park it early. Please keep us posted when you start your Wing room. Thanks for the compliment on the appearance. I did take plenty of time doing the little things that help make it look not so much like a shed. I didn't want it to be an eye sore to my neighbors. The neighbor on my north side has one that is pretty ugly, and I figured one of those is enough.

NKYWinger, thank you. And my niece's husband has some one inch Foam Insulating Sheathing left over from his building, and said there would be enough to do my whole shed, and doesn't want any money for it. Blessed again.

And thank you too Ghostrider52005. Keep working on her about your modification. Flowers and candy never worked for me, but that might help. What worked most for me was getting some of the Honey-Do list done. Nice for you to have a shop you can use so close. If I had that, I probably would't have built, but maybe I would have anyway.

I worked on the shelves today and took a pic of the process just for grins. This was all cleaned up and raked spotless yesterday. Mother nature and I can make a mess pretty quickly.
Attachments

patbrandon1
1981 Honda CM400C

Postby patbrandon1 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:41 pm

Getting closer to totally done. Need to pick up some wire, and get real power to it. I just have an extension cord to the box right now. That should be done by next Sunday. It was 66 degrees here today, so I did some calking, and put in peg board. Supposed to get some snow this week. Sad that I haven't put the new tires on yet. Have had some unusually nice riding weather, and bummed that the valve stem went bad on the rear tire. I did get the chrome 90 degree valve stems, and am going to get some Dyna Beads. When the snow gets here, I'll feel better.

Here is a pic of the inside work area so far. Almost complete.
Attachments

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”