Bleeding Brakes

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
heholdem
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 Interstate

Bleeding Brakes

Postby heholdem » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:50 pm

I know that bleeding the brakes on a Wing is supposed t be hard but, C'mon man.
Over the weekend I did a tire and brake job on my 81i and am still not able to get any good pressure. Before I started i had very good pressure on the fronts, and nominal on the rear, now i have nothing but squish. I have bled the front and rear brakes many times and in multiple ways. I tried a regular bleed, a bleed with a mityvac type pump, the zip tie the lever to the handle bar trick, and bleeding each banjo at every intersection to no avail. I finally noticed that the front master reservoir had bubbles coming up from it when I would repetedly pull the lever, I am guessing that it is time to rebuild the front and rear master cylinders.
Any other ideas?

Bled here, both sides
Bled here, both sides

and here
and here

and here, notice no bubbles
and here, notice no bubbles

and after pumping lever,bubbles
and after pumping lever,bubbles

Athough I have not seen bubbles in the rear master cylinder I am going to assume its seals are bad as well

Bled here
Bled here

and here
and here

Wingsconsin
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 - Pearl Orange
1996 GL1500 Aspencade - Pearl Blue
1992 GL1500 Aspencade -Candy Red
1983 Suzuki GS850GL - Blue & Black

Re: Bleeding Brakes

Postby Wingsconsin » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:01 am

Rebuilding the master cylinder(s) is a good step in the right direction, but it makes me wonder why it worked before and not now... :?

The bubbles are coming from somewhere...? Did a hose get bent & perhaps cracked during the brake job?
My 1980 has steel brake lines so I did not have to worry about it..but 30+ years old rubber parts can be brittle if bent at a harsh angle?
Check for cracks along the hoses just to be double sure....

Postings are my opinions based on experience and acquired knowledge.
Your results may vary. Universal disclaimers apply.

Motorcycle Adventure Storys writen by me
http://neverlost-justexploring.blogspot.com/

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:05 am

Not necessarily. I often see bubbles coming up like that, and it simply meant I hadn't gotten all the air out yet. It takes a very little bit of air to cause soft brakes.

Make sure the brake fluid, when poured into the reservoir, is done so gently, so no air bubbles are introduced into it.

I have gone through nearly a pint of brake fluid before to successfully bleed a set of brakes. I just keep pouring it into the reservoir, and pumping it out (Mity-Vac) from the calipers as fast as I can get it to pump. Sometimes I will also pump the brake lever slowly at the same time the Mity-Vac is sucking fluid out the bleed nipple. I try rotating the steering so that the bleed nipple is higher than the rest of the caliper (don't do that with the reservoir open!).

If you're seeing bubbles come up, keep pulling the lever (slowly) until it stops. Eventually the air will have to go away, unless like you said, there is a physical problem with the master cylinder or a fitting itself, and it is sucking air in - but you would typically see a leak when this is happening.

heholdem
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby heholdem » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:58 pm

Thanks for the replies,
I have done inspection on all parts, hoses, and linkages and have not seen any leaks or cracks. I thought it odd too that both the front and the rear, which were ok before the work was done, are both soft now. I guess I will get some more fluid and try try again. If however after another quart of fluid and trying some more tricks I see no change then I'll look at doing the rebuild.

scotterichmond
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000
[img]http://images.goldwingdocs.com/scotterichmond_32376/Modestly_restored_1975_GL1000_750/engine_repainted_even_new_embl_3919.jpg[/img]

Postby scotterichmond » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:47 pm

I have found that when you have bled the brakes lots and still feels like air, then open the "banjo" fittings and bleed them. works for me everytime.

brianinpa
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 Standard - Vetter State
1984 GL1200 Standard

Postby brianinpa » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:57 am

Something else to try is to apply the breaks and use a zip tie to lock the break lever in the applied position. Walk away with the breaks applied and check it again the next morning. Leaving the break applied allows air to return to the reservoir as it works it's way back up the break lines.

Brian

If you aren't having fun doing it, find something else to do.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”