Fuse Block replaced and all is well

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Wingsconsin
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 - Pearl Orange
1996 GL1500 Aspencade - Pearl Blue
1992 GL1500 Aspencade -Candy Red
1983 Suzuki GS850GL - Blue & Black

Re: Fuse Block replaced and all is well

Post by Wingsconsin » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:22 pm

If I remember correctly the fuse block was held in with 1 bolt and a crimped over side opposite that held it in place. I mounted the new block to the wood, and used the old bolt thru the wood to secure it. The wood is very thin and slid under the crimp side and that held it in place. Use your imagination and you will figure it out. Plastic would work too.. ABS sheet, etc. Just measure carefully and it can work.

Postings are my opinions based on experience and acquired knowledge.
Your results may vary. Universal disclaimers apply.

Motorcycle Adventure Storys writen by me
http://neverlost-justexploring.blogspot.com/

ram11397
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade

Post by ram11397 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:43 pm

Finally got around to doing it

Managed to remove from old lid to new one.

Rick
1982 GL 1100 Aspencade

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:20 am

It looks good, and you even kept the label! Good job.

patbrandon1
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200I
1982 GL1100I (Crashed)
1981 Honda CM400C (Sold)

Post by patbrandon1 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:37 am

Great job! Looks really nice. I know it is a bit tedious to do, but I'm glad I did mine. Even though my glass fuse box wasn't real bad, I just like blades better. Thanks for sharing, and we always like pictures. :D

rosco054
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100 Interstate (WIP)
2010 Triumph Rocket III Touring

Post by rosco054 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:35 am

The power wire looks to be larger that the other wires going into the fuse box. it looks to be about 10 Ga. When you made your 4 in 1 adapter did you make it out of thicker wire (10 Ga.)? I have a 1980 GL100 and I want to re-do the fuse block to blades, but was wondering about the power wire to the box.

Wingsconsin
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 - Pearl Orange
1996 GL1500 Aspencade - Pearl Blue
1992 GL1500 Aspencade -Candy Red
1983 Suzuki GS850GL - Blue & Black

Post by Wingsconsin » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:45 am

rosco054 wrote:The power wire looks to be larger that the other wires going into the fuse box. it looks to be about 10 Ga. When you made your 4 in 1 adapter did you make it out of thicker wire (10 Ga.)? I have a 1980 GL100 and I want to re-do the fuse block to blades, but was wondering about the power wire to the box.
When I did mine I simply used the existing wire to attach the 4 (serial buss) wires on to. The added thickness appears due to the 4 wire ends wrapped around the stripped off wire from the existing connection. Each serial bus wire was wrapped around using a union type splice and then soldered into place before shrink wrap and some tape was added.
Just pay attention to detail and you will figure it out pretty easily.
Postings are my opinions based on experience and acquired knowledge.
Your results may vary. Universal disclaimers apply.

Motorcycle Adventure Storys writen by me
http://neverlost-justexploring.blogspot.com/

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Post by littlebeaver » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:22 am

Ram, very impressive job man... I like it... All of my clips seem to be nice and strong still, all is well except my labels on the top plastic cover are real faded, It's painful to see that as I don't know what is what... I suppose I can try an make one up.... I wish someone sold just the label, I'd purchase one.. :shock:

TymK12
Motorcycle: 1980 GL 1100 interstate

Post by TymK12 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:27 am

ram11397 wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:17 pm
Hi,
Yes that was what i was asking. Also pictures help
thanks
Rick
[/quot

So I've got a 1980 interstate and want to do the same thing to mine. I ordered the fuse box but just to be completely honest.... I'm lost! Do you guys have wiring diagrams that I need to download? 4 wires off 1 I get but which wire is it? Could use some help. I pick up really fast and I'm mechanically inclined I'm just ignorant when it come to this

patbrandon1
1982 GL1100I (Crashed)
1981 Honda CM400C (Sold)

Post by patbrandon1 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:43 am

TymK12 wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:27 am
ram11397 wrote:
Hi,
thanks
Rick
[/quot

So I've got a 1980 interstate and want to do the same thing to mine. I ordered the fuse box but just to be completely honest.... I'm lost! Do you guys have wiring diagrams that I need to download? 4 wires off 1 I get but which wire is it? Could use some help. I pick up really fast and I'm mechanically inclined I'm just ignorant when it come to this
Were you asking for this? It may help if I understand your post correctly. If not, I'm old and get confused easily.

The wire you need to splice into four leads.
The wire you need to splice into four leads.

Any questions I can help with, just let me know. I am not the best at explaining stuff, but I can answer questions pretty gooder.

TymK12

Post by TymK12 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:37 pm

patbrandon1 wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:43 am
TymK12 wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:27 am
ram11397 wrote:
Hi,
thanks
Rick
[/quot

Were you asking for this? It may help if I understand your post correctly. If not, I'm old and get confused easily.

GL1100 Standard 1980-82 Color Schematic for Fuse Box Mod.jpg

Any questions I can help with, just let me know. I am not the best at explaining stuff, but I can answer questions pretty gooder.
That actually helps a lot I just wasn't understanding why he had the 4 bus wires. Really not sure if I can do this without messing it up but I really want it done. I want to do a few upgrades on my bike in not to worried about originality I'm needing function

patbrandon1
1982 GL1100I (Crashed)
1981 Honda CM400C (Sold)

Post by patbrandon1 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:48 pm

TymK12 wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:37 pm
That actually helps a lot I just wasn't understanding why he had the 4 bus wires. Really not sure if I can do this without messing it up but I really want it done. I want to do a few upgrades on my bike in not to worried about originality I'm needing function
Some people do get a bit nervous when changing anything electrical on their bike, and rightfully so, especially if the don't do it a lot. But if you take your time, you can do this. Just make sure you mark any wires you cut, or disconnect, with some masking tape and a sharpie or whatever. You don't HAVE to solder and heat shrink the connections. I've seen people just crimp them, and it works. I just do it to be sure vibration doesn't dislodge the wires. I know my buddy that did this over 4 years ago just crimped his, and it is still working fine.

Also, there was enough slack in the wires so that this could be done without pulling on the wires too much. That is always a concern of mine. Like with the three yellow wires from the stator. I had to lengthen them to solder and heat shrink them well. But with the fuse box on my '82 1100i, there was plenty of play. There probably is on yours too.

You can do this if you take your time, and you can call me if you run into anything that is a problem, and I'll be happy to help you through it. I'm attaching another pic to show you what I'm trying to explain. Plus pictures make things groovier. Also attached is a wiring diagram more specific to your bike. My previous post contained one for a 1100 Standard. This one is for 1100 Interstate. Very similar though. If it doesn't show up well on here, you can always PM me your email address and I can send it there. It would probably show up bigger.

The position or orientation of where you place your fuse box may differ from mine. Mine is actually opposite of the original one. That was because it was easier to get the top on and off with it this way. You may have a slightly different box that the top comes off of more easily.

Keep us posted on your progress please.

TymK12

Post by TymK12 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:33 pm

patbrandon1 wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:48 pm
TymK12 wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:37 pm
Some people do get a bit nervous when changing anything electrical on their bike, and rightfully so, especially if the don't do it a lot. But if you take your time, you can do this. Just make sure you mark any wires you cut, or disconnect, with some masking tape and a sharpie or whatever. You don't HAVE to solder and heat shrink the connections. I've seen people just crimp them, and it works. I just do it to be sure vibration doesn't dislodge the wires. I know my buddy that did this over 4 years ago just crimped his, and it is still working fine.

Also, there was enough slack in the wires so that this could be done without pulling on the wires too much. That is always a concern of mine. Like with the three yellow wires from the stator. I had to lengthen them to solder and heat shrink them well. But with the fuse box on my '82 1100i, there was plenty of play. There probably is on yours too.

You can do this if you take your time, and you can call me if you run into anything that is a problem, and I'll be happy to help you through it. I'm attaching another pic to show you what I'm trying to explain. Plus pictures make things groovier. Also attached is a wiring diagram more specific to your bike. My previous post contained one for a 1100 Standard. This one is for 1100 Interstate. Very similar though. If it doesn't show up well on here, you can always PM me your email address and I can send it there. It would probably show up bigger.

The position or orientation of where you place your fuse box may differ from mine. Mine is actually opposite of the original one. That was because it was easier to get the top on and off with it this way. You may have a slightly different box that the top comes off of more easily.

Keep us posted on your progress please.

Fuse Box Wire Numbering Done.JPG

GL1100 Interstate 1980-82 Color Schematic.jpg
Thank you for the info. I have alot of plans for this bike. I've got a buddy that wraps vehicles and I'm gonna do some LEDS and upgrade the headlight to LED so I want a better fuse box

patbrandon1
1982 GL1100I (Crashed)
1981 Honda CM400C (Sold)

Post by patbrandon1 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:34 pm

TymK12 wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:33 pm

Thank you for the info. I have alot of plans for this bike. I've got a buddy that wraps vehicles and I'm gonna do some LEDS and upgrade the headlight to LED so I want a better fuse box
I just put this LED in mine and love it. Now all of my lights except the instrument panel are LEDs. Great fun project you are doing, and I think you'll like the upgrade.

SHOW CHROME 10-106 H4 CREE LED REPLACEMENT HEADLIGHT BULB
SHOW CHROME 10-106 H4 CREE LED REPLACEMENT HEADLIGHT BULB

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SHOW-CHROME-10 ... 1438.l2649

It took a bit of internal modification to make it fit well. I made a video of some of it and will put it on YouTube after I have edited it. I will post a link to it on here when I do that in the next couple of days.

Hoosier Jack
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Interstate

Post by Hoosier Jack » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:36 am

This is great stuff and something I want to do too. But I think I'll wait until next winter since we are close to riding season. (Although it snowed overnight here)

Not to change the subject but I would just like to change the dog bone fuse now and put in a blade fuse and am wondering what others have used to do that. I bought one about a year ago but the orientation was funky.