Electrical upgrades?

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Fab
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Standard

Electrical upgrades?

Postby Fab » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:35 pm

Hi all,
I am currently stripping and rebuilding an `82 standard. It wasnt running when I got it so I have no idea what works and what doesnt.
Is there anything that will need to be replaced/upgraded while I have it apart?
Any tips gratefully received.

Mike

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Re: Electrical upgrades?

Postby thrasherg » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:58 pm

The electrics on these bikes are marginal, replace any incandescent bulbs that you can with LED bulbs, it reduces the power requirements and helps make the electrics of the bike more reliable. You might also want to consider a 35watt HID conversion, it consumes almost half the power of a stock headlight and produces lots more light!! The timing belts and hoses are all made of rubber and age, so again replace any rubber belts and hoses (whilst you have it apart, that includes brake lines). Check the connections from the alternator to the rectifier/regulator and if possible remove the plugs and solder the wires together to reduce resistance and stop any risk of corrosion causing your electrics to fail later on. You might also want to replace the ignition coils and leads for something with a bit more punch (that is also younger). The coils are not a known problem, but they are getting old and technology has improved so modern coils will probably give better starting and cleaner running. If the fuel pump is electric, check that it is operating well and maybe clean the filters out on the pump.. Can't think of anything else, but I am sure others will give plenty of suggestions.

Final thought, check everywhere that a wire connects to the frame for earth, clean any rust from around the mounting point to get the best possible connection, bad earths are always a pain to find/fix.

Gary

goldminerusa
Motorcycle: 1982 gl 1100standard, 1983 1000c

Postby goldminerusa » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:03 pm

I was given an `82 standard this past march in similar condition. I recommend that you do a point to point electrical test with a good quality digital tester, that will help pinpoint problems early in your bringing it back to life. Believe me,,,i used 3 original harnesses to create 1 properly functioning harness. Clean every single pin and spade, male and female connector in that harness. Ditto all the switches. The 4-5 hrs done now may prevent having to pull the harness after you put the bike back together and will ensure that the bike is getting all the juice the feeble alternator can give.

goldminerusa
Motorcycle: 1982 gl 1100standard, 1983 1000c

Postby goldminerusa » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:35 pm

Forgot to mention, re connect each cleaned connection with a smear of di-electric grease to prevent moisture from getting in. And, get a marine grade 30 amp fuse holder and use it to replace that cheap dogbone factory fuse at the starter solenoid. And clean / grease the frame grounds, really important. Without a stable electrical system all we really got is a fancy boat anchor. Hope this helps.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”