83 Asp motor into 83 Int

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
sparrowhawwk
Motorcycle: 78 GL
83 Int
76 Moto Guzzi Convert
73 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
76 Convert #2
83 Goldwing #2

83 Asp motor into 83 Int

Postby sparrowhawwk » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:49 pm

I bought an 83 Interstate with a seized motor. It was partially disassembled so all wiring was not hooked up. I have a rebuilt 83 Aspencade motor in the frame and most wires hooked up but having an unexpected problem. The wiring coming out from under the right cylinders is different. The original had one two wire plug. Two cloth covered slightly different green wires. To start with I cannot find where it was supposed to plug in to the bike. The new Aspencade engine has the wiring from under the right cylinders with two plugs on it. One two wire green and black that I suspect are the neutral wires and another four prong with red, white, yellow and blue wires. These are also cloth covered. I suspect that if I could find a plug for the original two wire harness that the two wire plug on the new motor would likely plug into it? Still cannot find where the original plugged in within the reach of the wire which appears to be the same length as the original?????????? :x

sparrowhawwk
83 Int
76 Moto Guzzi Convert
73 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
76 Convert #2
83 Goldwing #2

Re: 83 Asp motor into 83 Int

Postby sparrowhawwk » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:35 am

YES! Figured the connection had to be there some place so I started pulling the rad out again. Darned if it wasn't caught between the shroud and the radiator where I couldn't see it. That little stunt cost me a day but with luck I should be close to having it together tonight. Still have to empty whatever is in the fuel tank and put in new fuel lines and filter before I try to start it. I'll fill the carb bowls first so it shouldn't take much cranking to start assuming everything else is good.
Still don't know what the other six pin plug with only four wires is used for on the Aspencade as my manual only goes to 82.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:46 am

sparrowhawwk wrote:I bought an 83 Interstate with a seized motor. It was partially disassembled so all wiring was not hooked up. I have a rebuilt 83 Aspencade motor in the frame and most wires hooked up but having an unexpected problem. The wiring coming out from under the right cylinders is different. The original had one two wire plug. Two cloth covered slightly different green wires. To start with I cannot find where it was supposed to plug in to the bike. The new Aspencade engine has the wiring from under the right cylinders with two plugs on it. One two wire green and black that I suspect are the neutral wires and another four prong with red, white, yellow and blue wires. These are also cloth covered. I suspect that if I could find a plug for the original two wire harness that the two wire plug on the new motor would likely plug into it? Still cannot find where the original plugged in within the reach of the wire which appears to be the same length as the original?????????? :x

This is the gear position switch wiring. On the Interstate, there are only two wires, one for Neutral and one for 5th (overdrive). On the Aspencade, there are wires for every gear. You'll have to connect them as appropriate:

1983 Aspencade wires:
Neutral - Green
1 - Yellow
2 - White
3 - Blue
4 - Red
5 - Black

1983 Interstate wires:
Neutral - Light Green/Red
5 - Green/Orange

So you need to connect the green wire on the engine harness to the light green/red wire on the bike harness, and the black wire on the engine harness to the green/orange wire on the bike harness. The connectors will obviously not mate, so you'll either need to cut the connectors off and hard-wire them, or (preferably) buy one of each connector, and make your own custom adapter.

sparrowhawwk
83 Int
76 Moto Guzzi Convert
73 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
76 Convert #2
83 Goldwing #2

Postby sparrowhawwk » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:22 am

Thanks for the color codes. That is the last unknown so now I can get it hooked up correctly.

sparrowhawwk
83 Int
76 Moto Guzzi Convert
73 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
76 Convert #2
83 Goldwing #2

Postby sparrowhawwk » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:11 am

Got lucky with this one. The Asp. motor wiring has two plugs. One six pin with four wires and one pin with two wires. The two wire plug matches the two wire plug on the Int. so I have a neutral light with no wiring changes. Don't have the shift lever hooked up yet so don't know about the 5th gear light yet. Should have it ready to test fire this evening. Forgoing cosmetics for now. Just need to get it running and the sidecar on so I can get back to riding for the winter.

sparrowhawwk
83 Int
76 Moto Guzzi Convert
73 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
76 Convert #2
83 Goldwing #2

Postby sparrowhawwk » Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:01 am

Been slowly piecing it together when I can. Finally got to prefill the carbs and give it a try. Can't believe it but it started almost instantly and settled down to an idle in a couple minutes. :D Still need a couple small things finished and the body parts installed but it will be ready to test ride soon. Think I'll change out the front tire first though. Tire wear shows it has been run under inflated along with the usual sidewall cracking of an old tire. The rear appears to be quite new so ok there for now. I have to get a set of sidecar mounts made and powder coated and the sidecar installed. No time right now to worry about modifying the steering but I will tie the sidecar brake in. Don't know why but I miss winter riding more than summer. Oh yeah, one more thing. The elbow fitting and rubber hose going into the overflow tank need replacing and Honda no longer lists those parts for the 1100. A friend tells me the 1500 parts are the same if anyone is looking for them.

wingit11
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade
1990 GL1500SE/California Sidecar Friendship III

Postby wingit11 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:31 pm

You may want to contact Jay at DMC Sidecars right there in Enumclaw. He is a wealth of information and he could set you up with all the mounting hardware for your sidecar. Here is the link to his web site.... http://www.dmcsidecars.com/

Glad to here the project is going good.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”