Centre stand positioning

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Newport
Motorcycle: 1983A Aspencade
2012 Triumph Tiger XC

Centre stand positioning

Postby Newport » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:18 am

My '83 centre stand goes too far back making it almost impossible to get off the stand.
I have read articles where the frame cross tube has been weakened and twists due to corrosion but this is not the case.
29 years of the bike weight thumping back onto the centre stand has resulted in both the centre stand itslelf and the frame section that it goes against being dented but all is still quite solid.
I will be extending the length of the stand itself where it goes against the frame and also applying some weld metal to the areas that have become a little dented and I am sure all will be ok.
This will give the stand an extra 45mm of length in the area where it comes to the position where it is supporting the weight of the bike.
What I would greatly appreciate is a photo of a centre stand showing the correct angle of the support foot on the ground when the bike is on the centre stand.
Maybe even an angle reading from perpendicular would be good.
Does someone have a bike that would be in original condition?
Probably one that has not done a lot of miles (or kilometres if you are from Australia as I am)

moffat
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100
Interstate

Re: Centre stand positioning

Postby moffat » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:16 am

Are you are 100% certain that the bottom cross over bar is not corroded as its a very common fault with these machines as you know and mine was no exception.
I rewelded my cross over and had to shim the stop on the centre stand where it hits the cross over bar to prevent it going too far. A good test of the problem is to see if the bike rear wheel is well off then ground when on the centre stand, if both wheels are touching the ground when on the stand you have a problem. The rear wheel should be about 1 inch off the ground as far as I can remember
I used flat bar of different thicknesses and araldited them on to ensure I had the correct gap then welded a spacer onto the centre stand to alter the stop gap. Now its easier to get off the centre stand. Hope this helps

Newport
2012 Triumph Tiger XC

Postby Newport » Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:31 pm

Reply to moffat:
Yes I am quite sure that this is not corrosion.
I do thank you for the reply and interest.
The original design is in my opinion somwewhat flawed as the weight of the bike is taken on a relatively small area of the stand and mating surface on the cross over member.
My modification will extend the mating surface out to the full with the tubular section of the stand that houses the pivot pin.
Quite a bit of welding and machining and I am confident I will end up with a good fix.
Another forum member has sent me photos showing the correct angle of the bike on the stand so that will also help me to get it corrected.
Thanks again from the land down under.

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Postby RoadRogue » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:33 pm

I think that you are going to find that the cross over tube that the centerstand is mounted to has in fact corroded from the inside to the point that the wall thickness is now thin enough to dent with the normal use of the centerstand. It is not uncommon for this to happen. drill a small test hole(1/8" or less) in the cross tube to check its wall thickness in several places, you have to weld it to fix it anyways. 8-)
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

Newport
2012 Triumph Tiger XC

Postby Newport » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:51 am

I had actually done just that and can see no difference in wall thickness at the bottom compared to the vertical sections. You are correct in that the surface is dented where the stand comes to rest but then again so is the stand itself in the same area and it is certainly not corroded.
I am modifying the stand and the mating surface on the bike such that the stand bearing area is now pretty much as wide as the tubular section that the mounting/pivot pin goes through.
Quite a bit of welding to extend the mating width on the stand and today it has been on a milling machine to get the extended surface true.
I will be filling in the central section on the cross-over that does not currently abut the stand.
I will of course admit that I do not wish to pull the bike apart having just finished a rebuild on a bike that I never rode before dismantling.
Had I done so I might have realised the stand issue and corrected it during the rebuild.
The bike was trailered from previous owner direct to my home workshop.
Added to that I have a powder coated frame that I don't want to mess up.
All of that said if I reckoned corrosion was the problem I would address it.
I will post a photo of completed work and be honest about the result.

Newport
2012 Triumph Tiger XC

Postby Newport » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:36 am

Here is an update on my work.
With the help of a friend who has a great home machine shop the extended stand has been machined and I have some work planned as per attached photo to even further increase the stand bearing area by modifying the frame member. See photos.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”