gl1100 engine install

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
trashtruck
Motorcycle: 1982 gl1100 interstate

gl1100 engine install

Postby trashtruck » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:18 pm

I'd like to spend a few minutes discussing an important step during engine install that I haven't seen posted anywhere else. This is for those of us who haven't pulled a goldwing motor before. I recently had to replace the stator in my 82 1100 and discovered something about the pulse generator on the rear of the motor. When you remove the cover, you will see a center rotor with two magnetic pickups on both sides. What you don't see is a spring loaded armatur plate sitting under the vacuum advance unit. While dissasembling I had made the mistake of removing the bolt from the center rotor and removing the rotor before I removed the vacuum advance housing. DON'T DO THIS! Instead, remove the cover, remove the vacuum advance housing THEN remove the center bolt and take the rotor with the spring loaded armature plate out AS A UNIT. During reassembly, you cannot install the armature plate onto the shaft and get the rotor on. The rotor has a small lip at the bottom that must sit under the arms in the plate. To install, spread the spring loaded arms and make sure the lip of the rotor goes underneath the arm tangs, then install on the shaft AS A UNIT, making sure that the armature plate lines up with the small pin in the shaft. NOW you can continue the reassembly.
This is my first goldwing so I don't know if this holds true for other models/years. I'm posting this to try to help someone else down the road not to make this same mistake, unfortunately, I don't have pics as when I discovered this I was in my driveway working in the 38 degree rain.

WHAT IS THE SPEED OF DARK?

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: gl1100 engine install

Postby virgilmobile » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:38 pm

Yup...It's really annoying when you find extra parts under the bike after you get it back togeather.
I missed the little pin in the shaft for the advance mechanism once.
Lucky I found it on the floor before I got the rear wheel back on :mrgreen:

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”