Aspencade starter switch replacement

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
dummysales
Motorcycle: 1983 Aspencade 1100

Aspencade starter switch replacement

Postby dummysales » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:11 pm

The '83 Aspencade 1100 has been working its way to not starting by being very aggravating on how it allowed me to push the starter button in order to engage the starter. The last time it started I had to push significantly on the bottom of the button in order to engage the starter. Now, there is no starter engagement with any finesse of the button. I've had some experience with the little white plastic box inside the switch housing. They tend to break and the switch falls apart. So, I've located and purchased a used switch. Now the issue is that the plug of that switch harness is located where the head light used to connect to the bare bones bike. With the Aspencade fairing in place, it looks rather daunting to be able to open that "safe box" in order to get to the connection.

Any hints on how to do that with the fairing still on the bike, or am I relegated to the chore of pulling the fairing? The service manual doesn't show any of the detail concerning the fairing nor give instruction on how to change it. Appreciate the wisdom you'll offer, gents.

portugeezer
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1982 Gl500
1984 Honda Magna V30

Re: Aspencade starter switch replacement

Postby portugeezer » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:36 pm

I have really fat hands. I can get them inside the faring through the holes the signals are mounted in.

dummysales
Motorcycle: 1983 Aspencade 1100

Re: Aspencade starter switch replacement

Postby dummysales » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:43 pm

It would appear that the "safe box" is mounted in the head light brackets of the stock bike without the fairing, not within the fairing inner space, such as the radio equipment. It is possible that I could pull the headlight out of the fairing, but I don't believe that would give access to the "safe box" or "junction box" where it seems most of the stock bike connections reside in lieu of the normal headlight mount.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”