1982 goldwing project

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
myersluv1
Motorcycle: 1982 goldwing

1982 goldwing project

Postby myersluv1 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:56 pm

ok so here's the question. a friend of mine wants to sell me there 1982 Goldwing. it has been completely disassembled for some reason. he has all the original parts in a big box. i know nothing about motorcycles except that i've always wanted one. i'm pretty good at figuring things out. so the question is, is it worth my time and money to invest in it or will i be biting off more than i can chew. he only wants 300 for it. but i don't want to waste 300 if i will not be able to put it together.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: 1982 goldwing project

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:01 am

There's no way anyone here can tell you whether or not you'll be able to put it together. Are all the parts there? Do they work? Are you capable of doing it? Do you have lots of time on your hands? You're at a disadvantage not having seen how it all came apart.

The first thing to do would be to get a Honda service manual, read it cover to cover a couple of times, then take inventory of the parts you have and try to determine if you have any missing pieces.

patbrandon1
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 I
1981 Honda CM400C

Postby patbrandon1 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:22 am

Hi myersluv1, welcome to the forum. This is a great site, and WingAdmin does a fantastic job. The people here are both kind and helpful.

BUY THAT BIKE FOR $300. Worst thing that would happen...you end up not wanting to finish, and part it out, no money lost. You would make your money back in parts very easily. If I lived closer to Texas, I would buy it. But reading the service manual, looking through the How-To Articles on here, and asking lots of questions, you will have that Oldwing up and running in no time. Good luck, and keep us posted

doctorpaul
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100I

Postby doctorpaul » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:19 am

First of all, you likely have no way of knowing if all the parts are there. I bought a "bike in a box" a few years back. The PO honestly believed it was "all there" ... it wasn't! Secondly, there is some reason the machine was disassmebled and it probably wasn't good. Thirdly, if you "know nothing about motorcycles", this is probably NOT the way to learn. Despite the fact that the older GLs are a relatively simple machine, you will need a fundamental understanding of motorcycle systems, a reasonable level of mechanical ability and quite likely some tools you don't presently possess. At best, the project will be frustrating. At worst, your safety may be in jeopardy.
Dr. Paul
1980 Honda GL1100I
NE Oklahoma

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:10 pm

Buy it.... $300 man come on...If you need help with it we can help, if you need parts for it we can help, is it going to cost more $$ yes... Is it a gamble yes, will you get all of you're money back if you don't get it running, YES...All you have to do is part it out..Side covers are getting more and more expensive these days..same with all plastic parts, you will get your funds back just on all the plastic parts on the bike alone..... Here's an idea for you, if you want, once you purchase it and you are unsure what goes where you can post a photo of it and we can help, there's nothing like seeing something to describe what you're speaking of.. Shoot the fairing in good shape will bring a pretty penny.. :D Just go to ebay and research some of the parts and there prices...Who know's if a timing belt broke and the valves are bend, nobody knows...If they aren't you are in good shape man..Now if this bike has been out in the weather for years and everything is rusted together screw it..Even a good mechanic will curse the heck out it.. :D

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Postby RoadRogue » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:59 pm

If you were already into bikes big time this would be a good project,provided that everything is there and in working order,and you already haave the needed tools.
Just to give you an idea of costs to put it back on the road, it cost me close to $750 to put my 1100 on the road after I bought it in running condition. Between new tires ,timing belts brake pads and all fluids and bulbs. You are going to spend over $1000 to put this basket case on the road easily ,and thats doing all the work yourself.
Take a look around and see what you can buy for that same $1300-$1500 in your area. I reccomend that you start riding on a smaller bike than a wing. there are alot of skills you need to develop to stay alive on the road before you tackle a big touring bike that weighs close to 800lbs.

Thats just my opinion and my 2 cents worth. :lol:

Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”