Thermostat & fan switch

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
bykerbiker
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Interstate

Thermostat & fan switch

Postby bykerbiker » Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:27 pm

Hi I now have a 1983 GL 1100 Interstate the problem is it has no thermostat and the rad fan has a switch installed for switch it on and off whilst watching temperature guage . Whilst the bike ran well enough the engine never got up to temperature , I think the thermostat is absolutely necessary for correct engine temperature and fuel consumption whilst checking out fan switch it appears there are 2 kinds ? and until I get to it I wo'nt know which one . Any part no's for thermostat and switch would help in locating parts . Looking at the How-To-Articles [ these are a fantastic help ] there seems to be almost everything except thermostat renewal, is there an easyway to achieve renewal ? or does it involve radiator removal ? I'd be very grateful for any advise . This site is really excellent and a real help to a new owner, I shall be asking a lot more for advise and assistance whilst getting the GoldWing upto scratch for the summer when I hope to do a really long trip from the U.K to the Alguarve in Portugal. Once again this a terrific site and you guys must be proud of your efforts. regards

Johnyy Smoke
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100
Vetter. "Its like Deja Vu all over again".

Re: Thermostat & fan switch

Postby Johnyy Smoke » Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:55 am

Not sure on the 83,but you have to pull the radiator on my 1980 to change thermostat.
Go to bikebandit punch in your model and you will find a schematic showing the fan switch and temp sending unit location.Regards, Johnyy

HondaWalt
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100
1980 CB 900C
1974 CB 550

Re: Thermostat & fan switch

Postby HondaWalt » Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:00 am

Recently I had to replace my thermostat without removing the radiator. I gained entry from the right hand side of the bike
(orientation based from sitting on the bike) using a long extension with socket combination. Once the torque was broken I then used mechanical fingers (cable type fingers) to un-screw the thermostat. Use the reverse procedure to install the new part and then torque to spec.
HondaWalt

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”