GL starter o-rings

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Iggys
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Interstate
1983 GL1100 Interstate

GL starter o-rings

Postby Iggys » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:08 pm

First, thanks so much for this site! I followed the excellent tutorial for removing and servicing the starter on my '83 Interstate, But upon assembly I put the large thin o-ring on the gear reduction end. It seemed to make sense as there was nothing there to seal in the grease. Though it may not be doing anything at all. Now I don't have one for the brush cap. Can I leave the one where it is and add the other? Is there a source other than the " Oh we have to order that" Honda dealer ? On the installation note I had pulled the starter out while on the center stand before reading about the side stand. Should I gently roll off the stand and use the side stand now for installation? Thanks in advance.

IAAustin
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100

Re: GL starter o-rings

Postby IAAustin » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:48 pm

Well, I see this post is a little old already, were you successful? I was going to mention if you still are looking for a seal of that diameter, you may have luck at a tractor implement, or perhaps even a bead of RTV. I also didn't read the steps first and had mine on the center stand, but upon discovering that didn't want to risk moving it and left it as is.

indianakid
Motorcycle: 83 GL1100 I

Postby indianakid » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:58 pm

hi Iggys.

i too hope that you have your wing back on the road and all is well.

but if you don't i would remove the o-ring from the gear box end of the starter as there is not room designed for it and if it is installed there would be too much clearance as a result.

i would remove it and install it on the brush cap side where it should go. i agree with using a fay surface seal of RTV on the gear box side to help retain the grease. also if the o-ring is bad i would use the same technique on the brush cap.

if the bike is on the side stand the sprocket will hang a little more centered and make installing the starter easier.

shiny side up,
indianakid

Iggys
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Interstate
1983 GL1100 Interstate

Postby Iggys » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:10 pm

Thanks guys for replying on this. The centerstand/sidestand issue was thankfully not. Starter went in on the first try, no problems. However I did leave the thin gasket on the gear side and added a thin bead of ATV on the brush cap. The gasket was so "squished out" that it wouldn't fit right on the brush cap. I hope that the extra bit of end play doesn't come back to bite me.
Iggy

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”