Carberator tune up 82 GL1100A

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
gordonv
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500
1999 GL1500CF
1982 GL1100A

Carberator tune up 82 GL1100A

Postby gordonv » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:42 am

Before I spend the next week reading over the service manual to figure out what I need to do, what steps should I be looking at for a tune up?

I have a 82 Aspencade recently purchased (so I don't know what's already been done, and haven't done anything myself yet as I'm only on my second tank of gas) which smells of gas while running, w/wo chock on, cold/hot. There are no visible gas leaks, it's coming from the exhuast. Odometer stop at 55,000Km, so unknow mileage.

I don't want to know exactly what to do, I want to know the steps I should follow in order. I can follow the service manual when it comes to actually doing the individual steps.
example; change oil & plugs, check timing belt, sync carbs, adjust floats, etc, etc.

Any suggestions?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Carberator tune up 82 GL1100A

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:15 pm

First thing I would do, as you don't know the history of the bike, is to change the timing belts. If a timing belt goes, it's game over for the engine.

Changing the oil and filter is a given.

You can try running a can of Seafoam through the engine (half a can to a tank of gas). Is there a small of gas, or any evidence of gas leaking around the carbs or cylinders when the bike is standing? If you let it sit overnight, then pull the plugs, do you smell gas in the cylinders? If so, you've likely got a float issue. If not, then you've got a problem with the carbs - mixture, and at best you're looking at some adjustments, at worst, a rebuild.

gordonv
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500
1999 GL1500CF
1982 GL1100A

Re: Carberator tune up 82 GL1100A

Postby gordonv » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:25 pm

I've already added a 1/2 a can of Seafoam to less than 1/2 a tank of gas. Drove, parked, and drove again and have now filled the tank. Haven't notice any differance, and still have the smell of gas from the exhaust.

I bought what turned out to be a 1980 speedometer (in KMH for Canadian driving), turns out I need the 81'-82' to get the wires for the electronics to work. Can't find another in KMH so just looking for a cheap MPH one so I can just get a working odometer to figure out my gas mileage. Kind of hard just driving with the gas gauge and not knowing how far I can drive on a tank. Once I get the mileage working again, I'll do the timing belt, so I can record the mileage on the bike.

Any cheap spares out there?

Gas smell is only while running. Haven't pulled the plug to smell, but wouldn't I get that anyways, maybe a little stronger if the float is letting it leak fuel.

I just wanted to check that I do the carb adjustments along with any other adjustments that may be required before the carbs are touched. Like a sync job. I'm trying to buy the NGK Iridium spark plugs for all my bikes, but Advanced Auto wont deal with a Canadian, even though their 1-800 # works from here, very dumb, just block it. $6 ea there, and $8 in other places, and I need a total of 18 plugs for 4 bikes.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”