Self-Testing Fuses

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
patbrandon1
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 I
1981 Honda CM400C

Self-Testing Fuses

Postby patbrandon1 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:22 pm

Just curious if anyone that may have switched their fuse box to the blade style uses the Self-Testing type fuses? Where they feature a red LED light that glows whenever the fuse blows. Only asking because they have them on sale for $6.00 for 30 assorted amps, and wondered what anyone thinks of using them.

All I have left to do on my list, is new braided stainless brake lines, and started cleaning and/or rebuild. And some making her prettier. Then I'm ready for Spring.

Below is my conversion finished tonight. My old fuse box was a little dirty at the glass fuse contacts, and I figured to do this, and I won't ever have to worry about that again. (Or very soon). And yes, I stepped down the fuse amps when I tested it, and will put in the appropriate fuses tomorrow.
Attachments

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Re: Self-Testing Fuses

Postby RBGERSON » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:35 am

Can't hurt but why since you can see anything w/o pulling covers etc. and once you are in that far pulling the fuse isn't much more work and you have to pull it to replace it anyway..don't see the point unless you don't know which fuse goes to what....are they much more expensive than standard fuses normally???
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

Wingsconsin
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 - Pearl Orange
1996 GL1500 Aspencade - Pearl Blue
1992 GL1500 Aspencade -Candy Red
1983 Suzuki GS850GL - Blue & Black

Postby Wingsconsin » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:26 pm

Nice job...Looks very familiar ..... ;)
I looked at those light up when blown fuses when I did the conversion to mine as well...
I just didn't see the value vs the extra cost for the fuse....
Postings are my opinions based on experience and acquired knowledge.
Your results may vary. Universal disclaimers apply.

Motorcycle Adventure Storys writen by me
http://neverlost-justexploring.blogspot.com/

patbrandon1
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 I
1981 Honda CM400C

Postby patbrandon1 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:01 pm

RBGERSON wrote:Can't hurt but why since you can see anything w/o pulling covers etc. and once you are in that far pulling the fuse isn't much more work and you have to pull it to replace it anyway..don't see the point unless you don't know which fuse goes to what....are they much more expensive than standard fuses normally???

RBGERSON, I think they are about twice as much as standard. But here is why I might get them. I don't have any 15A blade fuses. It would cost $4.49 for five of them. It would cost $7.99 for a package of the assorted self-testing type where I get five each: 5A, 10A, 15A, 20A and 30A from Harbor Freight. The HF store is twenty miles away, and I will probably get them on my next trip near there. The Wing is not at all a problem to know which fuse is blown. But my F-150 is a different story. Easy to know which fuse, but I have to get on my back, turn four different contortionistic moves, and be half as tall, just to get to see the fuse panel.

I just wondered if there is any reason not to use the self-testing kind. I.E. they blow more often, or heat up the box when blown, etc. I had never even heard of them until I looked for a the regular kind online.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”