Winter Storage-should wing be started once in awhile?

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Dakotaman
Motorcycle: 1983 Honda Goldwing Standard

Winter Storage-should wing be started once in awhile?

Postby Dakotaman » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:31 pm

I winterized it in late November, and a couple of days ago, I thought I'd try to start it. It took about 6-8 tries, and it finally started. But as it tried to start, there was like a backfire. I have a couple of questions. 1. Should I try to start it while it's stored? Should the gas valve be in the off position while being stored? 2. I noticed the left sidewall of my back tire has a smooth ring about 2-or 2 and a half inches the down from the top of the sidewall. The smooth ring is around a half Inch in width. It seems like the tire is rubbing part of the frame. I will take it, to where I bought it before the riding season starts. I only had 35 to 40pds pressure in the back tire. Is it rubbing because of tire pressure, or not installed properly? I think it is not aligned properly. Then again, I'm not a mechanic!!

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Re: Winter Storage-should wing be started once in awhile?

Postby thrasherg » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:45 pm

In general you should not start the engine unless you intend to take it for a good long ride. When you start the engine you will suffer from condensation inside the engine which will cause the oil to go white and milky, unless you take it for a good long ride, so the entire engine gets good and hot (To prevent condensation). You will do more damage than good by just starting it and letting it run for 30 minutes and turning it off. If you start it and take it for a long ride (an hour or more) then it will be fine, but don't just start it, let it idle for a long time and then turn the engine off. You also get condensation inside the exhausts which causes them to rust prematurely, unless you again go for a good long ride, which will get the exhausts nice and hot and then no condensation..

Gary

trashtruck
Motorcycle: 1982 gl1100 interstate

Postby trashtruck » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:27 pm

was planning a nice long ride todat as it was nice out. tried to start the bike but broke pull cable instead. grrrr. good thing i had a spare. never did get that ride.
WHAT IS THE SPEED OF DARK?

Wingsconsin
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 - Pearl Orange
1996 GL1500 Aspencade - Pearl Blue
1992 GL1500 Aspencade -Candy Red
1983 Suzuki GS850GL - Blue & Black

Postby Wingsconsin » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:53 am

trashtruck wrote:was planning a nice long ride todat as it was nice out. tried to start the bike but broke pull cable instead. grrrr. good thing i had a spare. never did get that ride.

...Pull cable...?
Postings are my opinions based on experience and acquired knowledge.
Your results may vary. Universal disclaimers apply.

Motorcycle Adventure Storys writen by me
http://neverlost-justexploring.blogspot.com/

trashtruck

Postby trashtruck » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:22 am

yeah, you know, pull cable.

Wingsconsin
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 - Pearl Orange
1996 GL1500 Aspencade - Pearl Blue
1992 GL1500 Aspencade -Candy Red
1983 Suzuki GS850GL - Blue & Black

Postby Wingsconsin » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:58 am

Postings are my opinions based on experience and acquired knowledge.
Your results may vary. Universal disclaimers apply.

Motorcycle Adventure Storys writen by me
http://neverlost-justexploring.blogspot.com/

trashtruck

Postby trashtruck » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:52 pm

getting back on subject, the idea behind winter prep is so that you don't have to start the bike. your idea of winterizing and mine differ because i sometimes ride mine in the cold so i don't prep like others. as far as the rear tire, that could be a multitude of things, low pressure, frame rusting, bad swingarm bearings and should be high on your priority list as it is a dangerous condition.

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Postby thrasherg » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:53 pm

I missed the tyre bit, I agree that this needs to be addressed quickly. Are you running stock size tyres? If yes, then as mentioned the tyre is contacting something on the frame and that can only happen from something being incorrectly mounted/fitted. You need to find what, it is probably a failed bearing in either the swing arm or wheel that is allowing the wheel to move and contact the drive shaft or Frame. Start trying to move the rear wheel and see if you can find where the movement is coming from.
If your tyre is not standard size, a wider tyre might/will touch the frame as there was very little clearance on these bikes with stock tyres.. You will have to decide if the tyre touching parts of the frame/swing arm is a concern for you or not. It generally is not considered good, but if it is a very light contact you might be able to live with it, or inflate the rear tyre a bit more so that the tyre is firmer and may stop touching the frame/swing arm, if you let it touch, it would be wise to keep a close eye on the tyre to check for any signs of a problem.

Gary

Dakotaman

Postby Dakotaman » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:08 pm

Thanks people!! I will get it looked at, first thing on my list.

wingit11
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade
1990 GL1500SE/California Sidecar Friendship III

Postby wingit11 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:57 pm

First off; what is the tire size? Should be Rear: 140/90-16. Any wider than 140 and that would be your problem. Is it rubbing on the left side?

Dakotaman

Postby Dakotaman » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:14 pm

Yes, it is on the left side where it rubs!

trashtruck

Postby trashtruck » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:25 pm

verify correct tire size and pressure, printed on sidewall of tire.
place bike on centerstand and verify rear brake isn't dragging by spinning tire, apply brake, spin tire again. there should be little to no brake resistance.
try to move rear wheel side to side. there should be no side to side movement. if there is check for correct axle spacers, rear wheel bearings, swing arm bearings, frame corrosion.

s_lapid
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100 interstate

Postby s_lapid » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:52 am

thrasherg wrote:In general you should not start the engine unless you intend to take it for a good long ride. When you start the engine you will suffer from condensation inside the engine which will cause the oil to go white and milky, unless you take it for a good long ride, so the entire engine gets good and hot (To prevent condensation). You will do more damage than good by just starting it and letting it run for 30 minutes and turning it off. If you start it and take it for a long ride (an hour or more) then it will be fine, but don't just start it, let it idle for a long time and then turn the engine off. You also get condensation inside the exhausts which causes them to rust prematurely, unless you again go for a good long ride, which will get the exhausts nice and hot and then no condensation..

Gary

question: if you let the engine idle , or even run in higher rpm for 20-30 minutes,the engine and preety much the whole bike gets hot, the exhausts get hot , so don't they dry the condensation ? i'm not saying your'e wrong, but i guess I don't fully understand what are the differences between leaving the engine running for sometime while standing and actually riding outside for the same period?
what about internal combustion engines that are not installed in vehicles? like power generators etc. ? how does an engine "know" if it's operating a running bike, a car, lawn mower or power generator?

Dakotaman

Postby Dakotaman » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:26 am

It is a 140/90/16 Dunlop tire. I don't seem to feel any sideways play with the wheel. I was told that 40 psi would be okay for the tire. Especially, when riding with a passenger.

trashtruck

Postby trashtruck » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:31 am

just trying to eliminate some easy to check stuff. hopefully someone with more experience will chime in soon. did you have tire replaced at a shop?

Dakotaman

Postby Dakotaman » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:34 am

Yes. For the safety inspection, they replaced the two old tires that were on it.

thrasherg

Postby thrasherg » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:57 am

s_lapid wrote:
thrasherg wrote:In general you should not start the engine unless you intend to take it for a good long ride. When you start the engine you will suffer from condensation inside the engine which will cause the oil to go white and milky, unless you take it for a good long ride, so the entire engine gets good and hot (To prevent condensation). You will do more damage than good by just starting it and letting it run for 30 minutes and turning it off. If you start it and take it for a long ride (an hour or more) then it will be fine, but don't just start it, let it idle for a long time and then turn the engine off. You also get condensation inside the exhausts which causes them to rust prematurely, unless you again go for a good long ride, which will get the exhausts nice and hot and then no condensation..

Gary

question: if you let the engine idle , or even run in higher rpm for 20-30 minutes,the engine and preety much the whole bike gets hot, the exhausts get hot , so don't they dry the condensation ? i'm not saying your'e wrong, but i guess I don't fully understand what are the differences between leaving the engine running for sometime while standing and actually riding outside for the same period?
what about internal combustion engines that are not installed in vehicles? like power generators etc. ? how does an engine "know" if it's operating a running bike, a car, lawn mower or power generator?

It's not a question of if the engine is physically moving or not, when an engine idles, it only produces 20% to 30% of the heat that a working engine produces. This means that the engine does not get that hot so some parts can suffer from condensation (usually the gearbox area and extremities of the engine). If you ride your bike then the engine has to actually work, not just idle, so it produces 3times more heat and that does get everything good and hot. A static engine (like a generator) will have the same issue if it just idles, but when they are running they are usually generating electricity, meaning they are working not idling so again they get good and hot. If you read any generator manual,,they will normally tell you to always place a load on the generator when running it, this is for 2 reasons, 1 to make the engine work and get hot and 2 to help the regulation system on the generator.. No load can cause the output voltage to get quite high and the regulator has to dissipate the excess charge/voltage.. Hope that makes some sense..

Gary

Dakotaman

Postby Dakotaman » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:25 pm

It makes sense to me!! Thank you for taking the time to explain that further. I'm not a mechanic, but I do try fixing things, that I feel I'm confident with. If I feel it's beyond my comprehension, I take it to someone that knows more about it.

trashtruck

Postby trashtruck » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:46 pm

a suggestion, you feel free to skip this if you're not comfortable, place the bike on centerstand, start engine and put bike in low gear just to see if you can identify what's happening. or you can call the shop and say " hey, this isn't right "

Dakotaman

Postby Dakotaman » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:19 pm

Thanks for the suggestion trashtruck. I will try that but, with someone to hold the bike just in case. I'm hoping that it might be an inflation problem, especially with two people on it. I know I had inflated the tires to 40psi, but someone told me Dunlop tires don't seem to hold the air like other tires. I'm not saying that is correct, but I just wanted to see what someone else would say about that. If that could be possible, then I'll have to check the tires more frequently. I checked the valves, by putting a mix of soap and water on them, and I didn't notice any bubbles appearing.

Johnyy Smoke
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100
Vetter. "Its like Deja Vu all over again".

Postby Johnyy Smoke » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:57 pm

I have Dunlop 404s on front and back for over a year,havent had to add air to either one yet- perhapes one or both of your rear shocks have crapped out? Regards, Johnyy

Johnyy Smoke
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100
Vetter. "Its like Deja Vu all over again".

Postby Johnyy Smoke » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:34 pm

Just another thought-swing arm bearings? Regards, Johnyy

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”