help with carbs

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
jcraycraft
Motorcycle: 1983 gl1100 goldwing interstate

help with carbs

Postby jcraycraft » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:42 pm

I have a 83 interstate. i had the carbs cleaned and soaked. Put them back on and now i can't seem to get fuel to them. when i pour fuel into intake it will run till the fuel runs out. Any suggestions?

jcraycraft
Motorcycle: 1983 gl1100 goldwing interstate

Re: help with carbs

Postby jcraycraft » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:30 pm

Do I need to fill the carbs with gas before i install them?

WINGER3
Motorcycle: current 2005 GL1800ABS previous GL1200A GL1500K GL1100A CB350 GL650I VFR1000 ST1100 GL1200A GL1500I + many other brands

Postby WINGER3 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:09 pm

jcraycraft wrote:I have a 83 interstate. i had the carbs cleaned and soaked. Put them back on and now i can't seem to get fuel to them. when i pour fuel into intake it will run till the fuel runs out. Any suggestions?

Hi jcraycraft; sounds like you have a fuel flow problem. :( 1st. turn off fuel valve, disconnect the fuel line from the fuel pump, put a container under the hose, make sure no fire or sparks around now turn on the fuel valve, you should have gas flow into the container. If no fuel flow or just a dribbel, you have a fuel filter or shut off valve pluged.

If you get a good flow, reconnect the fuel line to the pump, now disconect the out flow line from the pump, connect a longer hose to the pump so it is above the fuel tank, othewise it will siphon from the tank. Now turn off the kill switch, put the hose into the container and crank the engine over untill you see gas going into the container, remember to turn on the shut off valve, if you get gas the pump is good.

If all checks out, then you have a blockage inside the fuel inlet's to the carb's and will probaly have to pull the carb's out to find the problem. If all the small orifics where not blowen out with air pressure, the soaking might have caused crud to block the openings to the float bowels. Also whom ever set the float levels might have set them so low that the they shut off as soon as the float bowels where screwed on.

I hope this helps you get started to finding the problem, others will jump in to give thair ideas also that might help. Good luck. Bob :mrgreen:
DON'T DESTROY IT-RESTORE IT

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby RBGERSON » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:34 am

You don't "need' to fill but it take 30 seconds or so of cranking to fill the carb bowls with gas..you can fill manually; take the out line off the fuel pump..attach a funnel put fuel in slowly..reattach and crank. Most often after a rebuild no fuel means floats are set wrong..too low so they shut off fuel fill to soon.

One way to check is to remove drain plugs, can be done on the bike, "screw" in 1/4" clear tubing..hold tubes up above the carb bowl lip..you need about 8" tubes min; longer is better to 12". Now fill carbs as explained above the fuel should rise in the tubes to be level with the bowl lip if not you need to pull the carbs and reset the floats. Note bike should be on level ground on the center stand.

follow float setting instructions here http://www.randakks.com/TechTip33.htm

HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”