Fillng front brake caliper

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
bykerbiker
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Interstate

Fillng front brake caliper

Postby bykerbiker » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:56 pm

Hi i'm in the process of overhauling the caliper on the left , but I made the mistake of draining the line before pushing out pistons so I had to refill res tk quite a few times before I moved the pistons ,my question is , is it possible to pressure up and top up without replacing the res tk cap and diaphram every time you topup.Has it got to do with air and water absorbtion of dot 4 .Also is it necessary to remove pistons completely my pal tells me to polish the pistons with chrome polish whilst still in the cylinders and avoid having to re install them. I think this is feasonable as the pistons don't protrude all that much whilst in normal use. I look forward to your opions.

vtxcandyred
Motorcycle: 1993 Honda Goldwing SE

Re: Fillng front brake caliper

Postby vtxcandyred » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:06 pm

bykerbiker wrote:Hi i'm in the process of overhauling the caliper on the left , but I made the mistake of draining the line before pushing out pistons so I had to refill res tk quite a few times before I moved the pistons ,my question is , is it possible to pressure up and top up without replacing the res tk cap and diaphram every time you topup.Has it got to do with air and water absorbtion of dot 4 .Also is it necessary to remove pistons completely my pal tells me to polish the pistons with chrome polish whilst still in the cylinders and avoid having to re install them. I think this is feasonable as the pistons don't protrude all that much whilst in normal use. I look forward to your opions.

I've never pushed the pistons out, EVER!!!! Unless they need rebuilt. If by [color=#00FF00]"res tk" you mean thereservoir cap then yes you need to take it off each time you top up. I have yet to have to top up though. If the fluid is low enough then I replace the pads. Resetting the pads into place will automatically put the fluid back into the reservoir. [/color]

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Postby RoadRogue » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:14 pm

If you are just refilling the lines and caliper by pumping fluid throught the reservoir , you can just set the cap on top loose till you have all your bleeding done. you do not have to tighten it all back up each time you top up during the bleed process, just dont let any rain in.

If you are rebuilding the calipers then yes you need to pull the pistons out, if you are just cleaning the exposed sectionsof the pistons up, I use 400grit wet and dry paper followed up with 600grit. If you leave one brake pad in ,you can pump the piston out a very long way without them popping out all the way. Pump them out till you see nice clean piston material and clean up the cruddy part. when you are happy with the look of the pistons, open the bleed screw and press the pistons in by hand. 8-)
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

bustedwing
Motorcycle: 1990 Gold wing Trike

Postby bustedwing » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:37 pm

You stated you were rebuilding the calipers, so in that case yes the piston must come out as there is a seal that must be replaced inside the caliper. Once the caliper is honed and the seal replaced, buff up the piston and press back together.
Proud member Patriot Guard

patbrandon1
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 I
1981 Honda CM400C

Postby patbrandon1 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:54 pm

bykerbiker wrote:Hi i'm in the process of overhauling the caliper on the left , but I made the mistake of draining the line before pushing out pistons so I had to refill res tk quite a few times before I moved the pistons ,my question is , is it possible to pressure up and top up without replacing the res tk cap and diaphram every time you topup.Has it got to do with air and water absorbtion of dot 4 .Also is it necessary to remove pistons completely my pal tells me to polish the pistons with chrome polish whilst still in the cylinders and avoid having to re install them. I think this is feasonable as the pistons don't protrude all that much whilst in normal use. I look forward to your opions.

YES. just place the cap on to avoid getting foreign substances in it. There is no pressure in the res. And by overhauling, what are you doing to it exactly? If you are going to take the time to over haul it, it doesn't take a lot more time to pull the pistons out all the way and do it right. And putting them back in isn't that hard either. The brakes are one of the most important safety feature on your bike. Drain every bit of the old fluid, and replace it with fresh. Here is a link to a DYI that you may find helpful. viewtopic.php?f=11&t=44 Stay safe, and take your time.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”