Greg's GL1100 Winter Project

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Greg_C
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100 Interstate (sold)
1976 GL1000 (WIP)

Re: Greg's GL1100 Winter Project

Post by Greg_C » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:01 pm

Hi all,

Has been 10 days since my last update...

I've wire brushed the exterior of both front forks as they had a lot of white residue on them. They look much better now.
I drained and flushed the front fork shocks, and filled with new ATF, put the springs back in and managed to get the
caps on without beaning myself with a flying cap. I used a large adjustable wrench to hold the cap steady while compressing the
spring... I've read / seen on this site various methods to make this easier, but i did not have to revert to using one of those .. maybe I just got lucky.
It does take some strength and co-ordination and care to not get the cap sideways and cross threaded ...

After the shocks were back together I put them back on the bike, torqed the pinch nuts to spec, then added the front wheel using the DIY article on this site.
Is good to see front wheel back on.

Front forks and wheel back on the bike - 1
Front forks and wheel back on the bike - 1

Front forks and wheel back on the bike - 2
Front forks and wheel back on the bike - 2

Then I put the front brake parts back on. In the past week I had cleaned up and rebuilt both front calipers, as well as the front master cylinder.
Removing the resevoir off the top of front brake master cylinder was not easy... had to check a few times on this site that I was taking it off
correctly as it is really held firmly on there... but eventually I did manage to pop it off... on the master cylinder is important to clean the very small orifice in the bottom of the resevoir ... mine was gummed up ... i used a small single wire pulled from my hand wire brush to get it cleared...

Front brakes installed onto bike -1
Front brakes installed onto bike -1

Front brakes installed onto bike -2
Front brakes installed onto bike -2

Front brakes installed onto bike -3
Front brakes installed onto bike -3

I then added brake fluid and bled the front brakes ... I really struggled with this... as it took quite a while to get the air bled and for the the hand brake to firm up ... I really need to get myself one of those mighty vacs ... as my front brakes are still feeling a bit spongy ...

Am still working on cleaning up and re-painting the badges ... I find this type of work somewhat painful, and slow as it a needs a lot of time and patience, and I need to be in the mood to do it ... so i pick at it as I find time ... it will make big difference in the final restoration, so don't want to rush it. I've seen some fantastic pics of restored badges from the guys on this site ... but not sure if mine will compare to those ...

I've been starting up and running the engine periodically ... still starts up and idles nicely ...like the sound of the engine ... can't wait to take it for a ride ... if only it would stop snowing ... :-(

I broke the plastic end pieces on my choke cable so have to get a replacement ...

I have some parts being blasted and painted and then can put the tach and speedo back on ... also is there any fix/remidy to a slow to respond tach?
Mine does not respond normally when I rev the engine ... it slowly goes up and settles down ... you can see this on my startup video found on an earlier section earlier in this thread.

Current Rides:
1976 GL1000 (WIP)
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummings Diesel - Camper puller
2006 Toyota Corolla - My Daily driver
Past Rides:
HMCS Assiniboine (DDH 234)
1980 Porsche 911 SC Targa
1979 MGB Roadster
1980 GL1100 Interstate

Fulcrum
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100

Post by Fulcrum » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:37 pm

I am definitely no expert, but I have read that it takes a while for the tach to loosen up after a bike has sat for a long time. Doing a great job Greg, I look forward to your posts. Keep it up buddy.

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Post by littlebeaver » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:41 pm

I have a set of those steel vehicle ramps in my garage to, I thought you were in my garage for a second... :shock: Keep up the progress Greg.. We like it... :D

Greg_C
1976 GL1000 (WIP)

Post by Greg_C » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:25 pm

Thanks for the suggestion Fulcrum... I.e. the tach will work itself out with use...

Littlebeaver thanks for the loan of your ramps ... I put them back where I found them :-)
Current Rides:
1976 GL1000 (WIP)
Past Rides:
1979 MGB Roadster
1980 GL1100 Interstate

Garacane

Post by Garacane » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:46 pm

I just rebuilt my starter with my bike on the center stand. I didn't have any issues but I was real carefull dealing with the gear and chain inside the engine. I bought a rebuild kit off of ebay it came with a brush plate and a new set of brushes.

Greg_C
1976 GL1000 (WIP)

Post by Greg_C » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:12 pm

Thanks Garacane... Many on this site have suggested is safer to keep the bike leaned over on side stand while doing the starter repair.., so the internal chain/gear stay in place when the starter is removed... Have seen many responses like yours where they leave bike on center stand without issue... Thanks again...
Current Rides:
1976 GL1000 (WIP)
Past Rides:
1979 MGB Roadster
1980 GL1100 Interstate

B0b88
Motorcycle: 1981 Goldwing GL1100

Post by B0b88 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:22 pm

Now that I've read through your whole post I'm am eagerly awaiting your next post :shock: I wish I had the space/time/cash to go through my 81 with as much TLC as you have. I absolutely love how you have sandblasted and painted a great deal of parts on the bike including the tank! The engine after your paint job looks beautiful!!! The master cylinder resovoir was unbelievably hard for me to get off as well I thought I was going to break the plastic for sure.... I pried mine up with a long flathead screwdriver, I just noticed yesterday it was leaking on my fairing :( I emptied out the resovoir till I can get to it later as I'm busy on other things... Keep up the amazing work!!!

Greg_C
1976 GL1000 (WIP)

Post by Greg_C » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:20 pm

Thanks for the positive comments and encouragement Bob88. I'm surprised I did not crack the resevoir myself ... by the way replacement resevoirs are apparently readily available at reasonable price. Check partsnmore plus other sites.

So now I am into painting mode ... preping the tank false tank parts and side covers for paint ... going to try my hand at two stage base-coat / clear-coat ....

First of all I sanded the parts using 600 grid sand paper, removed the pinstrip or at least got them smooth enough so I could not feel them with my fingers ... here are the parts before primer coat ...

false tank - preped for primer 1
false tank - preped for primer 1

false tank - preped for primer 2
false tank - preped for primer 2

side covers and false tank parts - preped for primer
side covers and false tank parts - preped for primer

Next i built myself a small "paint booth" for these smaller parts to try and keep the paint spray localized and to keep the dust and dirt from my garage off of the newly painted parts.... I cleared off one of my shelfs in the back of the garage (had my summer tires stored there) and then I stapled a plastic drop sheet in place that picked up at the dollar store ... then I ran some steel wire along the top to hang the parts from and then put my lights into each corner, so could see what I was doing ... and presto .. one temporary paint booth ... covered up everything within 5' of the spray paint area, opened the garage door, and side doors for ventilation....

temporary paint booth 1
temporary paint booth 1

temporary paint booth 2
temporary paint booth 2

Then I hung up the smaller parts from the wires ... the larger false tank I placed on a block of wood and moved it around as needed to paint on all sides.

parts being hung for primer paint
parts being hung for primer paint

Then it was on to painting ...
Current Rides:
1976 GL1000 (WIP)
Past Rides:
1979 MGB Roadster
1980 GL1100 Interstate

Greg_C
1976 GL1000 (WIP)

Post by Greg_C » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:49 pm

For priming I used Duplicolor sandable primer available at Walmart ... a body work guy told me to use a lighter color primer so that when you do the base coat you can more easily tell where you have painted the base coat ... or more importantly where you have not adequetely done so ..

Duplicoler primer
Duplicoler primer

I use one of those plastic pistol attachments for all of my spray can painting .. is much easier on the ahnd and give more precise control of the painting.

first I painted the smaller parts that were hung on the wires in my paint booth ... and then i carefully slid them out of the way to make some room and i brought in the larger false tank ... and painted it

bike parts painted with primer 1
bike parts painted with primer 1

bike parts painted with primer 2
bike parts painted with primer 2

bike parts painted with primer 3
bike parts painted with primer 3

the primer lets you see any defects in the parts ... in my case a lot of small dings and scratches whcih I filled in with glazing compound... sanded with 600 grit sand paper and then put more primer on the touched up area...

touching up small scratches and dings with glazing compound
touching up small scratches and dings with glazing compound

Current Rides:
1976 GL1000 (WIP)
Past Rides:
1979 MGB Roadster
1980 GL1100 Interstate

dayser7
Motorcycle: 2001 GL 1800 Goldwing

Post by dayser7 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:17 am

Hey Greg...it has been a while since I checked it...wow is it looking good..thanks for taking the time to keep us up to date...with all the work you are doing...taking this extra time is really kind. Praying for the snow to stop and spring to come here in SD too...God bless

Roger

Greg_C
1976 GL1000 (WIP)

Post by Greg_C » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:23 pm

Dayser7,

Thanks for the post... I think our joint prayers are working as its stopped snowing finally here in Nova Scotia... At least for a week straight.... Fingers crossed...

Has any one ever inadvertently "stretched" the inner cable of heir tach cable? I thinks that's what I did... I started my bike up to run it for a bit... Still have the instrument cluster removed so the end of the tach cable is exposed and spinning while the bike runs... I made the mistake of getting a rag too close to the exposed end of the tach cable and the tach cable got caught up in the rag... And it started waving the rag around.... Anyway I just grabbed the rag and yanked it clear of the cable... So now the exposed end of the tach cable (the part that spins) is about 2" too long. And it does not allow the tach to screw back on.... What a dumb move on my part! ... So lesson learned... Need to now get a new tach cable ...

I'm sort of stalled out on my project at the moment guys as my job has kept me pretty busy / evenings and weekends (no time for garage tinkering :-( ... and looks like I'll be traveling for couple of weeks starting this week... Any way will keep at it and give updates etc as time permits as my winter project is now turning into spring project...

Greg...
Current Rides:
1976 GL1000 (WIP)
Past Rides:
1979 MGB Roadster
1980 GL1100 Interstate

dayser7

Post by dayser7 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:43 pm

Have good travels...I had a couple little teaser rides last week..now we are waiting for 12 to 20 or more inches of snow...we need the moisture...and no doubt this will bring on the heat in a week or two...take care...God bless

Dayser

Joecop
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100I
1972 Honda Chopper
1989 Yamaha FZR600
1981 Honda ATC 200cc

Post by Joecop » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:37 pm

Great post and I did like the gas tank cleaning tips. Props on the mini paint booth you should invest in a quality spray gun and mix your paint. Two stage paint like PPG is very forgiving. Your front brakes will firm right up if you change out the rubber lines they are probably pretty soft. Thanks again enjoyed reading and checking out all your hard work! :D

Greg_C
1976 GL1000 (WIP)

Post by Greg_C » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:14 pm

Hi all,

Am Back from my business travels which took me to the fine US west coast cities of San Francisco, Sacramento, Berkley, and Feemont CA. Saw a Lot of nice looking bikes on the road. Have been anxious to get back to my bike project.

While on the road I ordered a replacement choke cable and also a new tach cable on e-bay from a bike parts vendor called Rusty Riders. These parts were waiting for me when I got home. Good price, decent quality and fast delivery.

Tonight I installed both cables. I also gapped and installed brand new NGK D8EA spark plugs. I noticed that the plugs I removed/replaced were NGK DR8EA . I,ll keep one as an emerg. spare.

After sitting for couple of weeks The bike started right up, idled nice and smooth. (A lot smoother than with the old plugs), and engine is quick/ responsive to throttle.

I hope to get to painting the tank and side covers this weekend if time/weather allows. Will post more pics soon as I do... Also Have got to get the winter tires swapped off of three vehicles this weekend as well. Time ...time ... Time... Never enough ...
Current Rides:
1976 GL1000 (WIP)
Past Rides:
1979 MGB Roadster
1980 GL1100 Interstate

dayser7

Post by dayser7 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:58 am

Glad you had a good trip..we had a couple spring blizzards..which allowed me to ride my tractor instead of the bike:)..supposed to hit 70 this weekend and I am going to pick up a bike that I found for my son and get it home. Think it may be a good plan to put new plugs in my Wing as well..thanks for the reminder:)

Calzone
Motorcycle: 1980 Interstate

Post by Calzone » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:17 pm

The "R" would be for resistor, I probably would have used the resistor type plug not knowing if your plug caps are resistor type, one or the other should be fine. Mostly you will get radio interference without them, also said to affect electronic ignitions.
Looks like you`ll be riding soon.

sswantee

Post by sswantee » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:11 pm

Greg, great progress. Check your private messages

Steve

Greg_C
1976 GL1000 (WIP)

Post by Greg_C » Tue May 14, 2013 6:13 pm

Hello all fellow Goldwing Enthusiasts...

business and a long "to do" list has once again taken me away from my bike project however I will continue to pick away and provide postings with pictures as time permits.

thanks for the posts and comments from dayser7, Calzone, and sswantee (another Nova Scotia resident working on an 82 project)

I've received more painted parts back from blasting and gloss black powder painting ... these include my rear fender, which was pretty badly rusted in spots, the rear bag holder/frame, the metal bezels that fit around the base of the tach and speedo, the fork brackets that hold the 3# counter weight on front of bike, and finally one fo the hinge brackets used on the doors to the false tank ... all were badly rusting/or chrome was badly pitted ... Also the sides and metal ring on both the speedo / tach were kind of scratched and tired looking so I masked them off and painted / touched them up with gloss black rust paint

as you can see the bead blasting and powder paint turns old tired looking and rust pitted parts into like new parts... will not rust in my lifetime...

newly painted tach and speedo bezels 1
newly painted tach and speedo bezels 1

newly painted tach and speedo bezels 2
newly painted tach and speedo bezels 2

more painted parts 1
more painted parts 1

newly painted tach and speedo bezels 3
newly painted tach and speedo bezels 3

newly painted tach and speedo bezels 4
newly painted tach and speedo bezels 4

newly painted tach and speedo bezels 5
newly painted tach and speedo bezels 5

Current Rides:
1976 GL1000 (WIP)
Past Rides:
1979 MGB Roadster
1980 GL1100 Interstate

dayser7

Post by dayser7 » Tue May 14, 2013 6:18 pm

It just keeps looking better...you are going to have some bucks into this by the time you are done...saying nothing about hours...but you will have great bragging rights:)

Greg_C
1976 GL1000 (WIP)

Post by Greg_C » Tue May 14, 2013 6:21 pm

More pictures of the newly painted parts ... any body know the story behind the 3 pound counter weight on the front of the bike ... more curious than anything.. putting it back on but first time I've seen this on a bike...

Brackets holding 3# counter weight in place
Brackets holding 3# counter weight in place

newly painted rear bag holder bracket 1
newly painted rear bag holder bracket 1

newly painted rear bag holder bracket 2
newly painted rear bag holder bracket 2

Current Rides:
1976 GL1000 (WIP)
Past Rides:
1979 MGB Roadster
1980 GL1100 Interstate

Greg_C
1976 GL1000 (WIP)

Post by Greg_C » Tue May 14, 2013 6:28 pm

And a few more pictures of my newly painted rear fender ... and process of adding brak light and wiring harness back on before putting back onto the bike.

newly painted rear fender top view
newly painted rear fender top view

newly painted rear fender bottom view
newly painted rear fender bottom view

newly painted rear fender back view
newly painted rear fender back view

newly painted rear fender - reassembly in progress
newly painted rear fender - reassembly in progress

Current Rides:
1976 GL1000 (WIP)
Past Rides:
1979 MGB Roadster
1980 GL1100 Interstate

Greg_C
1976 GL1000 (WIP)

Post by Greg_C » Tue May 14, 2013 6:37 pm

Couple more pictures of the left and right rear bag holder frame / bracket ... this is the part that wraps around the lower part of the left and right
bags ... also the part that I believe people attached their trailers to... this is the before picture of this item .... as you can see the chrome is badly flaking off, with lots of rust etc.... taken apart and stripped of all wires etc and will go thru blasting and also painted .... you guessed right ... gloss black!

all of these parts going back on will sure add to the weight of the bike ... but they will look better than they did coming off...

rear left and right bag holder frame/bracket 1
rear left and right bag holder frame/bracket 1

rear left and right bag holder frame/bracket 2
rear left and right bag holder frame/bracket 2

rear left and right bag holder frame/bracket 3
rear left and right bag holder frame/bracket 3

Current Rides:
1976 GL1000 (WIP)
Past Rides:
1979 MGB Roadster
1980 GL1100 Interstate

bcassel
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Interstate. Originally Candywine color, now Chrysler Cool Vanilla.

Post by bcassel » Tue May 14, 2013 6:53 pm

The weight on the front is there to offset the lift you will get from the fairing at highway speeds. Without the weight, the front wheel gets real light and squirrel-y.

I had the "opportunity" of riding a fellow's bike who had removed his weight, says it was a waste. At 45 you could almost turn the handlebars with no effect on the direction. Never took it above that, didn't have good enough health insurance.

dayser7

Post by dayser7 » Tue May 14, 2013 7:08 pm

That is pretty amazing that a 3 lb. weight makes that much difference. Thanks for that bit of info.

patbrandon1
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200I
1982 GL1100I (Crashed)
1981 Honda CM400C (Sold)

Post by patbrandon1 » Tue May 14, 2013 8:48 pm

Looking great Greg. :D :D :D

I have a question for you. :?:

How did you get the instrument panel to look sooo clean? Is there something special you used on it. Or was it just a lot of tedious work, like tearing it all apart and taking your time? I need to get mine to look better. :!: