Greg's GL1100 Winter Project

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Britanicus
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 GoldWing

Re: Greg's GL1100 Winter Project

Post by Britanicus » Wed May 15, 2013 11:54 pm

And to think I am intimidated at the thought of syncing my carbs.

Absolutely frigging incredible. Hats off to you mate.

Mad Respect.

You should think about earning some money with your talents. I would pay someone to fix my fuel sending unit. Think about it.

aznyaz
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100I

Post by aznyaz » Sun May 19, 2013 10:35 am

Greg, just read through your project and it's been very informative. I am doing (having) a carb rebuild and have been advised to clean out my tank. Not quite as rusty as yours was but it could still lose some rust. I'll be using vinegar starting today with the tank in place and let it sit until Saturday morning. Lots of great information especially using the CLR.

Thanks again for documenting.

MJ

Greg_C
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100 Interstate (sold)
1976 GL1000 (WIP)

Post by Greg_C » Sun May 19, 2013 4:54 pm

Dayser7 thanks again for positive comments and feedback. I don,t count the hours from a $ perspective ..otherwise my bike would be valued at 1million bucks! I really do enjoy tinkering and rebuilding. Good therapy. And great satisfaction to mcguiver something to keep it rollin! Little beaver knows what I,m talking about. And god bless back at you.

Calzone thanks for post. I,ve stripped the radio ( 80s vintage) out of the fairing so an not worried about rf noise at moment. Bike continues to run well will no R type plugs. But will switch Back if/when put a radio back in and there is noise/interference.

Swanee. How is your bike project going... Write a post or two.. The guys on this site will wade in if you have questions or if you post any thing interesting...

Bcassel thanks for the info regarding the counter weight... Very interesting.. And I don't intend to remove mine!

Padbrandon1 .. Greetings... Not tedious... use q-tips and armor-all .. And soft clean rags... I think the PO kept the bike out of harms way in a shed while it sat... So that kept things clean...

Britanicus ... Greetings from fellow kanuk...
... Thanks for your mad respect.. U know ur doing something right when u earn someone's mad respect....especially from another kanuk...

Maybe when I retire I,ll earn some extra $ working on bikes... If u pay shipping both ways I,ll look at and will try and restore ur sender... Because that's what mad respect buys u..... Send me PM if you want to send it to me....

aznyaz.. First of all special greetings to anyone who puts 2 z's in their handle... If you remove ur gas tank the CLR does good job... I had lot of crud/rust in my tank.... If you can see the screens clearly when looking into the tank then you should be good... Put a new gas filter in and replace after 2000km or so.... Glad u liked my post... And that it was helpful to you....

Cheers to all...

Greg

Current Rides:
1976 GL1000 (WIP)
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummings Diesel - Camper puller
2006 Toyota Corolla - My Daily driver
Past Rides:
HMCS Assiniboine (DDH 234)
1980 Porsche 911 SC Targa
1979 MGB Roadster
1980 GL1100 Interstate

Greg_C
1976 GL1000 (WIP)

Post by Greg_C » Tue May 21, 2013 6:11 pm

I spent some time looking over the Honda fairing this past weekend. I stripped out an old 80's vintage CB radio, and an old am/fm/cassette player... plus lots of old crappy wiring ... down to what appears to be the stock internal lights and signals wiring, plus the Clarion(s) speakers ... lot of other crud, and crap found inside the fairing ...cleaned it all out ... found a nasty crack /break/hole on the bottom of the fairing where the fairing sits onto the bike / fairing frame part. I did a search of the site and discovered that it can be repaired/patched with a "slurry" made up of abs shavings and abs glue ... so out came my rasp/file, and a hunk of abs pipe I had kicking around and made a few files of abs shavings ... this was the most time consuming part for me ..... I then mixed up a few batches of this repair patch material and used a wooden paddle / stick to apply it in the hold and around the cracks on both the outside and the inside surfaces of this area of the fairing .... I let it sit a couple of days and it was quite hard/strong after curing ... so hats off to the site again for allowing me to fix up my broken fairing... the patch looks pretty ugly, but is quite strong ... I just have to sand it down, clean it up and spray paint gloss black over the patch area.

ABS pipe and rasp/file to make ABS shavings
ABS pipe and rasp/file to make ABS shavings

ugly looking patch/ABS glue on bottom of the fairing
ugly looking patch/ABS glue on bottom of the fairing

Current Rides:
1976 GL1000 (WIP)
Past Rides:
1979 MGB Roadster
1980 GL1100 Interstate

Greg_C
1976 GL1000 (WIP)

Post by Greg_C » Tue May 21, 2013 6:30 pm

It was a milestone weekend for my project!! I put the rear fender and bag holder and seat on, and gave the bike a good going over to make sure I was not leaving any important wires, bolts, bits missing or loose or undone ... I went to Walmart and bought a new battery and installed it, after adding the acid and charging it over night .... on early Saturday morning I started it up, warmed it up, got out my helmet and gloves and then

I WENT FOR MY FIRST RIDE ON A GOLDWING!!!

WAs quite apprehensive .... and the first time around the block was done in slow time, nothing crazy, listening for any bad noises, any bad shakes and shimmies ... all seemed fine so on subsequent trips around the block I upped the speed and went thru the gears ... bike shifts fine, sounds fine, no bad noises ... the weight of the bike takes some getting used to as to turns at slow speed.

The bike is still missing false tank, covers, fairing i.e not street legal, (Frankenstein bike) but it was 7am, and very quiet in our sub-division, and it was great to take it for a short spin after all of these months ... below are couple of pics ... new battery installed and Frankenstein parked down at the end of my drive way...

New Battery from Wallymart
New Battery from Wallymart

Frankenstein Bike on the loose
Frankenstein Bike on the loose

Current Rides:
1976 GL1000 (WIP)
Past Rides:
1979 MGB Roadster
1980 GL1100 Interstate

Greg_C
1976 GL1000 (WIP)

Post by Greg_C » Tue May 21, 2013 6:41 pm

I spent part of the weekend putting some of the fairing frame parts on ... these have all been sand blasted and powder painted gloss black so they look great and is nice to add this "like new" parts back onto the bike .... Also after my shaky low speed turns and having new respect for the weight of the bike, I put the right and left engine guards back onto the bike... if I do screw up I do not want to lay the bike down on the engine covers...

LEFT side, fairing frame parts and engine guard added
LEFT side, fairing frame parts and engine guard added

RIGHT side, fairing frame parts and engine guard added 1
RIGHT side, fairing frame parts and engine guard added 1

RIGHT side, fairing frame parts and engine guard added 2
RIGHT side, fairing frame parts and engine guard added 2

Current Rides:
1976 GL1000 (WIP)
Past Rides:
1979 MGB Roadster
1980 GL1100 Interstate

Greg_C
1976 GL1000 (WIP)

Post by Greg_C » Tue May 21, 2013 6:58 pm

Moving on .... yesterday (Monday) I installed the fairing back onto the bike after my patch was cured and cleaned up ... I had previously tested the fairing wiring by bringing the fairing near the bike (sitting on front fender) so that I could plug in the fairing wiring connector ... all working ok ...
As I do not intend to put a replacement radio in, at least not for now, can a person buy replacement blank covers for the fairing? Also I will hold off putting the fairing lowers on until after I get the false tank back installed ... however I was doing a trial fit of these parts and I could not figure out how the lower part of the lowers are anchored to the bike frame ... i.e. the small round anchor hole at bottom of the lowers shown below... it was not obvious to me ...perhaps I have the bike anchor part missing/removed still. It looks like it should attach somewhere near the bottom side of the radiator air deflectors.

Fairing back on the bike 1
Fairing back on the bike 1

Fairing back on the bike 2
Fairing back on the bike 2

Fairing on the bike - rear view
Fairing on the bike - rear view

fairing lowers - where does the lower hole mount to on bike??
fairing lowers - where does the lower hole mount to on bike??

Current Rides:
1976 GL1000 (WIP)
Past Rides:
1979 MGB Roadster
1980 GL1100 Interstate

aznyaz
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100I

Post by aznyaz » Tue May 21, 2013 8:21 pm

Hah! aznyaz is a play on my home state(s). Arizona-New York-Arizona. It's a chronological thing: born in Arizona, grew up in NY and moved back to Arizona. Although, I currently live in Tennessee. Go figure, but it's home now.

I can answer your last question on the lower mounting point for the fairing lowers. I just found this out myself. There is a separtate piece of metal that has a mounting hole for the fairing that attaches at, and with the lower radiator mounting bolts. If you go to the Parts Manual in our site they're shown in the "Fairing" section listed as items 12 and 13, stay, R. cowl and stay L. cowl, respectively. Not sure how available they are but this should help.

Good luck!

Greg_C
1976 GL1000 (WIP)

Post by Greg_C » Wed May 22, 2013 4:34 pm

Thanks aznyaz aka (aznyzatn) ... I did go look at the document you pointed me at ... will now go back to my collection of odds-n-sods / left over bike parts from the rebuild project to see if I recognize these bent brackets ... if not I'll just have to order or (most likely) make some.. thanks again.

greg
Current Rides:
1976 GL1000 (WIP)
Past Rides:
1979 MGB Roadster
1980 GL1100 Interstate

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Mon May 27, 2013 12:32 am

bcassel wrote:The weight on the front is there to offset the lift you will get from the fairing at highway speeds. Without the weight, the front wheel gets real light and squirrel-y.

I had the "opportunity" of riding a fellow's bike who had removed his weight, says it was a waste. At 45 you could almost turn the handlebars with no effect on the direction. Never took it above that, didn't have good enough health insurance.
That's not correct.

On the standard (unfaired) Goldwing, that weight is replaced by the headlight assembly, which is hung off the front of the forks. The headlight assembly hangs out a little bit, and provides damping for oscillation (i.e. speed wobble). On the faired Goldwing, the headlight is part of the fairing. They had to put a weight on the front of the fork assembly to provide enough mass equivalent to that now missing headlight assembly to reduce the resonant frequency of the steering system below that which could be induced by bumps and other displacement. Without that weight on there, you run a serious risk of developing an unrecoverable "tank slapper" oscillation (speed wobble) when you hit a bump at speed.

Greg_C
1976 GL1000 (WIP)

Post by Greg_C » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:12 pm

Thanks Wing Admin for the info on the 3# weight and it's purpose ... I have left it alone/inplace.

All here are a few pictures of my 2-part basecoat / clear coat experiences ... in a nutshell getting it right takes lots of practice, patience and experience and I have a new appreciation for the guys that do this for a living.

I only painted the tank parts, and the side covers, and left everything else alone.

I preped the parts by sanding, and puting primer on ... this was done a few weeks back ... so to ensure I removed any dust/oils etc before I started the base coat stage I washed the parts with clean soapy water and used the 1000+grit sandpaper very lightly then rinsed them and hung / dried them off....

primed and cleaned tank 1
primed and cleaned tank 1

primed and cleaned tank 2
primed and cleaned tank 2

primed tank and side covers 1
primed tank and side covers 1

primed tank and side covers 2
primed tank and side covers 2

Current Rides:
1976 GL1000 (WIP)
Past Rides:
1979 MGB Roadster
1980 GL1100 Interstate

Greg_C
1976 GL1000 (WIP)

Post by Greg_C » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:49 pm

More on the paint:

The product data sheets that came wth the paint and clear coat were made for the professional painter but provided good technical info. For those not familiar with base coat / clear coat process this is a two stage process where you mix and then apply the base coats, and then within a relatively short time, couple of hours to max 24 hours, you mix and apply the clear coats. Both the base coat paint and the clear coat paint are 2-part mixtures, and you have to mix it to the correct proportions as indicated on the paint product sheet. The base coat paint I used is Omni PBX+ and it (like most 2-part paints) is mixed with what is known as a reducer. I wont pretend to know all about reducers but it thins the paint and allows the paint to be applied easily with paint guns. The Cleat coat product is an acrylic urethane also made by Omni. You need to make sure the clear coat is compatible with the base coat product as it chemically bonds with base coat the during the clear coat stage/process. This is what I was told and why the clear coat needs to be applied fairly soon after the base coat has been applied and dried.

Based coat and reducer 1
Based coat and reducer 1

Based coat and reducer 2
Based coat and reducer 2

clear coat and hardener 1
clear coat and hardener 1

clear coat and hardener 2
clear coat and hardener 2

I bought a relatively inexpensive HVLP paint gun at Princess Auto ... regular $70, got it for $39 on sale ... this is a High Volume Low Pressure paint sprayer and you put the mixed paint / clear coat into the plastic / metal canister that sits above the gun nozzle. It just needs max pressure of 40PSI at the base of the gun, which most compressors can easily do, and the pressure at the nozzle that applies the paint is much lower than that. (8-10psi is what I read). It came with pretty decent instructions and a small wrench to tighten the canister in place and also take it apart. I went onto the internet and watched a few u-Tube videos and picked up quite a few tips about preping the HVLP spray gun for use as well as using the sprayer. One important thing I learned is before using it, strip it down and inspect for any loose bits of silicone used by the manufacturer during assembly ... these pieces can clog up the sprayer and give you very bad experience ... Also it seems that most users of these HVLP recomend many light coats as opposed to 1-2 very think coats...

HVLP Paint Sprayer 1
HVLP Paint Sprayer 1

HVLP Paint Sprayer 2
HVLP Paint Sprayer 2

Current Rides:
1976 GL1000 (WIP)
Past Rides:
1979 MGB Roadster
1980 GL1100 Interstate

Greg_C
1976 GL1000 (WIP)

Post by Greg_C » Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:17 pm

Some armed with sufficient information to make me dangerous I was ready to paint!

Before painting I dumped a small amount of varsol into the cannister, and practiced on a piece of clean cardboard, adjusting the gun adjustment knobs until I was getting a nice spray pattern, and not too much product was being applied... then I dumped this out, and blew it clean before adding any mixed paint ...

For the base coat I mixed 75ml(~3oz) batches of paint with 75ml (~3oz) of reducer (1:1 ratio) as per the instructions ... I used small clear disposeable plastic cups with a 75mm mark on them ... I did not want to mix more paint that I could use. I used another plastic container to mix the paint and reducer in, stirred it around with a long screw driver / mixer stick, and then dumped the mixture into the paint canister at the top of the gun...

WARNING
THIS PAINT AND REDUCER MIXTURE IS NASTY STUFF!! ALWAYS WEAR A MASK!
COVER UP ANYTHING IN THE NEAR VACINITY OF THE PAINTING AREA

So I started to apply coats of base coat ... I found that each batch allowed me to apply a good coat to the tank parts and side covers before I had to refill the cannister ... I applied 4 coats of base coat ... with about 10 minutes between each coat .... I had set the sprayer up so that the amount of paint being applied was very low, so I did not have to worry about it running.

base coat 1
base coat 1

base coat 2
base coat 2

base coat 3
base coat 3

base coat 4
base coat 4

base coat 5
base coat 5

more to come....
Attachments

base coat 6
base coat 6

Current Rides:
1976 GL1000 (WIP)
Past Rides:
1979 MGB Roadster
1980 GL1100 Interstate

Greg_C
1976 GL1000 (WIP)

Post by Greg_C » Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:40 pm

Painting continued...

Below are the pictures of the parts after 4-5 coats .... the paint looked richer and darker as each coat was applied and I was feeling pretty good about how things were going... as you can see the base coat is a matt finish which I was told is normal for this base coat paint before the clear coat is applied....

base coat 7
base coat 7

base coat 8
base coat 8

base coat 9
base coat 9

base coat 10
base coat 10

base coat 11
base coat 11

Painting continued...<br /><br />Below are the pictures of the parts after 4-5 coats .... as each coat was applied the piece looked better and better and I was feeling pretty good about how things were going... as you can see the base coat is a matt finish which I was told was normal for this base coat paint before the clear coat is applied....<br /><br />Painting continued...<br /><br />Below are the pictures of the parts after 4-5 coats .... as each coat was applied the piece looked better and better and I was feeling pretty good about how things were going... as you can see the base coat is a matt finish which I was told was normal for this base coat paint before the clear coat is applied....<br /><br />base coat 12
Painting continued...

Below are the pictures of the parts after 4-5 coats .... as each coat was applied the piece looked better and better and I was feeling pretty good about how things were going... as you can see the base coat is a matt finish which I was told was normal for this base coat paint before the clear coat is applied....

Painting continued...

Below are the pictures of the parts after 4-5 coats .... as each coat was applied the piece looked better and better and I was feeling pretty good about how things were going... as you can see the base coat is a matt finish which I was told was normal for this base coat paint before the clear coat is applied....

base coat 12

more to come...
Current Rides:
1976 GL1000 (WIP)
Past Rides:
1979 MGB Roadster
1980 GL1100 Interstate

Greg_C
1976 GL1000 (WIP)

Post by Greg_C » Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:25 pm

The base coat paint stage looked great .... but as they say .... this is where the perverbial wheels fell off the wagon ...

I waited about two hours after applying the last coat of base coat before applying the first of 3 coats of clear coat.

The clear coat is Urethane that is mixed with a hardener in a ratio of 4:1. It has a gun life of a couple of 2+ hours, so rather than mix a bunch of small batches I mixed 300ml (~12oz) of the Urethane with 75ml(~3 oz) of hardener ... mixed together in plastic container and put into the sprayer cannister ...

The clear coat appeared to go on great, and it had a nice gloss to it. I put on three coats like this, with about 15 minutes between coats .... it was pretty late in the evening (early Sat morning) by the time I finished, and I emptyied / cleaned the the spray gun and went to bed.

The next morning when I check on the parts ..... I was shocked to find the clear coat had been transformed ... the nice shiny gloss I had seen the previous evening, was now a pebbled finish on all of the parts .... I was initially pretty dissappointed with the look of the parts ... and I still do not know what I did wrong to screw this stage up ... I left the parts alone, and came back to them the next day ...

just for yucks I put my badges/emblems on the painted parts .... and suddenly the parts did not look that bad ... my twin daughters saw the newly painted parts in the rec room and they both said "nice job Dad!" ... so I decided then and there ... i'm gonna live with my screw up and put the parts on the bike as is ...

painted parts 1
painted parts 1

painted parts 2
painted parts 2

painted parts 3
painted parts 3

painted parts 4
painted parts 4

painted parts 5
painted parts 5

painted parts 6
painted parts 6

In my next posting I'll show you all the parts on the bike, and the bike project pretty well finished,,,

And I've decided on the name for my restored bike and as the "winter project" is nearly done, I could not be happier with the outcome.
Time for a happy dance.

greg
Current Rides:
1976 GL1000 (WIP)
Past Rides:
1979 MGB Roadster
1980 GL1100 Interstate

Fulcrum
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100

Post by Fulcrum » Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:01 pm

Couple of tips here from my experiences. When painting prep work is King! When painting base light coats are best to start from but as you apply the final coats they should be "wet" meaning more paint applied and a smooth wet looking coat. After putting the clear on it should look nice but a little orange peel effect. No problem. Even if you have runs, fish eyes, orange peel, or voids, you can fix that in post work. Right now you need to get some 600, 1200, and 2000 grit wet sandpaper. Wet sand it and polish it up with a buffer and it will look like a mirror. Trust me. Any questions just ask buddy, I know I owe you a ton from the assistance you have given me.

80-GL100-INT
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100I Interstate (current)
Previously Owned:
1981 CB 750 Custom
1976 CB 750 Super Sport (punched to 900)
1986 Kawasaki 440 LTD
1974 Suzuki 550
1986 Kawasaki Ninja 600 (First Street Bike-way back in '88)

Post by 80-GL100-INT » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:37 pm

Greg,

Thank you for all of the detailed info and pics in this thread. Very well done sir :!: :!:, and thanks to all that contributed along the way.

I just sat here and read this entire thread in one sitting. Completely captivated! As you see form my avatar mine is torn down too. I want soooo badly to just take off and do exactly what you have done, but with summer here I'm ready to ride.

Mine was regularly ridden except for 2012 so it has only set garaged for a year or so, so it's not in too bad of shape. I have just gone through the carbs. and I wish I had read this thread prior to doing so. Littlebeavers video was very enlightening.

I too have access to a powder coating facility who only charges me for the amount of powder used (and I can trade labor for that most of the time), so I really want to tear it completely down and make it shine again.

So I guess I may forego the next 9 months, take my time, and join you in the restoration club. I too will post some pics as I go but you are the Master. I hope you enjoy the fruits of your labor.
If "WE THE PEOPLE" don't defend our rights...Who will?
"Government's first duty is protect the people, not run their lives."...Ronald Reagan

http://www.powdercoat.tk/

Johnyy Smoke
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100
Vetter. "Its like Deja Vu all over again".

Post by Johnyy Smoke » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:30 pm

So much coats of paint-and primer,not enough dry time. Regards, Johnyy

Patriccio
Motorcycle: 1980 Goldwing
Interstate: in progress
1979 Honda CX500 Stolen
1982 Yamaha Seca 650 Sold

Post by Patriccio » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:28 pm

Greg,
I used a product called Metal Rescue for the gas tank. I also soaked the tank for several days w/ the white vinegar, then I bought two gallons of Metal Rescue. The stuff works well. Just rotate the tank to clean different areas.
My project parallels yours, but I only have one day off a week, & I have a 14 year old son whose most common phrase is, "Let's go surfing." He took me surfing all day long on Father's Day . Anyway, I'm looking to rebuild the brakes very soon. Ciao

Greg_C
1976 GL1000 (WIP)

Post by Greg_C » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:27 pm

Patriccio

Thanks for the post... Spend the time with your Son! And your project will come along at its own pace...
There are a few on this site like yourself who highly recommend the metal rescue ... I'll use it next project...

For the brakes rebuild the grease gun is your best friend... Makes it a cinch to pop the pistons out...

Greg
Current Rides:
1976 GL1000 (WIP)
Past Rides:
1979 MGB Roadster
1980 GL1100 Interstate

Patriccio
1979 Honda CX500 Stolen

Post by Patriccio » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:35 pm

Thanks Greg. I popped out the piston w/ my air compressor & the tire inflation attachment w/ the nozzle removed. Now, I was thinking of buying those stainless steel pistons from Rainer in Germany, but I may just polish my existing because (the rear at least) it doesn't look too bad. The interior of the piston is rusted, & there's a bit of rust on the leading edge, & there are small scores on the exterior. I'm still thinking of whether to polish or buy new.
ciao

Greg_C
1976 GL1000 (WIP)

Post by Greg_C » Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:47 am

For the pistons on my brake calliper rebuilds I polished them up and cleaned the inside and contact edges of the piston as best I could with with wire wheel brush.. If ur budget allows go for new ... Getting the inside surfaces of the calliper clean is also important ... After you get the seals out use small pick tool to get any crud built up in those seal grooves... And use lots of brake cleaner to flush out the calliper...
Don't spray any plastic rubber parts with brake cleaner..good luck...
Current Rides:
1976 GL1000 (WIP)
Past Rides:
1979 MGB Roadster
1980 GL1100 Interstate

Patriccio
1979 Honda CX500 Stolen

Post by Patriccio » Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:25 pm

I just might go w/ new pistons; everything else (almost) will be new.
Tomorrow: surfing!

Greg_C
1976 GL1000 (WIP)

Post by Greg_C » Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:58 pm

Hello everyone who followed this post/project during the winter of 2012/2013 ...

I apologize for the long period since my last post ...

I did finish the bike restoration project and I had it safety inspected for road worthiness however it was late August 2013 by that time and I did not put it on the road.

Here are a few pictures of the bike which I named Darth Vader... [thanks to Pat Brandon for reminding me to name it]

more to come...
Current Rides:
1976 GL1000 (WIP)
Past Rides:
1979 MGB Roadster
1980 GL1100 Interstate

Greg_C
1976 GL1000 (WIP)

Post by Greg_C » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:06 pm

Here are a few more...

One more group to come...

Current Rides:
1976 GL1000 (WIP)
Past Rides: