The New Guy & the Engine

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
LoneRanger179
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I Interstate

The New Guy & the Engine

Postby LoneRanger179 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:22 pm

Howdy all, New to the site as a member, though I have used a number of DIYs already. Excellent job on the pictorials.

Bowie Parade of last year

Ta bizness.... Have any ran across a DIY for REBUILDING or extreme cleaning the Carbs? I have the owner's manual, as well as a Techy PDF. My eyes aren't as they use to be so those Black & White single shots just don't cut it :D . I feel much safer and satisfied that I did the right job with a step by step DIY than in the manuals. Also, I checked out SabeCycle's Air Cutoff Valve blog, have any preformed such a task? Seems like most those symptoms, I have.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: The New Guy & the Engine

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:01 am

When it comes time to doing my carbs myself, I'd be looking to Randakk's excellent carb products at http://randakks.com. I am singularly displeased with Sabre Cycle - for shoddy parts, and horrendous customer service. They have some parts that can't be found anywhere else - but for something as critical as carburetors, I'd be going to Randakk.

MJSantos
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I
1983 GL1100 Custom
2002 Shadow
1983 Honda Magna V45

Postby MJSantos » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:30 am

Stay aay from Saber for carb parts. I ordered the rebuild kits and aircutoff valves. Missing one of the small "O" rings from the air kits and the float bowl gaskets don't fit that good. Float valves leaked.

robertdawber
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Interstate

Postby robertdawber » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:12 am

WingAdmin wrote:When it comes time to doing my carbs myself, I'd be looking to Randakk's excellent carb products at http://randakks.com. I am singularly displeased with Sabre Cycle - for shoddy parts, and horrendous customer service. They have some parts that can't be found anywhere else - but for something as critical as carburetors, I'd be going to Randakk.

I totally agree that the service at Saber cycle is poor-although, it is true that they have hard to find parts. But to buy a part and then have things missing is worse than not having the part in the first place because now you have two problems-a bike you wish you could ride and a part that does not work.

MJSantos
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I
1983 GL1100 Custom
2002 Shadow
1983 Honda Magna V45

Postby MJSantos » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:25 pm

Nice looking bike I have the twin sister up here in York, Pa all apart tight now. I might add to my previous post if you go to Randakk's web site he has some great info for building the carbs. I used his advise and it really came in handy. They are not that hard too do. Bench syncing them and doing a fluid check on the bench will save you. Waiting and finding out there's leaks after putting them back on is a real bummer. If you choose to stay with the bare minium rebuild another supplier is http://www.crc2onlinecatalog.com/. They carry the "O" rings for the cross over tubes and the rings for mating the carbs to the plenum. Had to get them from there when the Barracuda kits from Saber came up short in the kits. For the sizes Randdakks has the dimensions in the info for his kits. The next time I'll save myself alot of aggrevation and just go Randak's. This time is just to get the old girl running since she sat for 19 years. Couldn't justify the big expense right off the bat. So far she is running very good but still not road worthy. Got her to go NOW I have to get her to stop!

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”