Need Battery advice

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
mfrancis
Motorcycle: 1983 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade

Need Battery advice

Postby mfrancis » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:58 pm

Hi everyone I need battery advice and hopefully Oil advice

I have a GW 1100 and I live in Dayton Nevada. It is usually cold up here and starting my bike in the morning does not always work. I was told by a friend that it is because I bought a cheep battery at Wal-Mart ( trying to save money) and that this battery does not have the power for cold starts. I would love any help and advice on what battery is best (not too expensive) that I should purchase.

On a second thing, I need to change my oil but I am not sure what oil type to use for the area I live in. I have asked many bikers and I have gotten about 10 different suggestion of oil type to use. Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated.

Mike Francis

SteveB123
Motorcycle: 1982 1100I, 60A Poorboy, MSD coil

Re: Need Battery advice

Postby SteveB123 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:53 pm

mfrancis wrote:Hi everyone I need battery advice and hopefully Oil advice

I have a GW 1100 and I live in Dayton Nevada. It is usually cold up here and starting my bike in the morning does not always work. I was told by a friend that it is because I bought a cheep battery at Wal-Mart ( trying to save money) and that this battery does not have the power for cold starts. I would love any help and advice on what battery is best (not too expensive) that I should purchase.

On a second thing, I need to change my oil but I am not sure what oil type to use for the area I live in. I have asked many bikers and I have gotten about 10 different suggestion of oil type to use. Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated.

Mike Francis

It's cold there, is it? :lol:
Sure. Your forecast shows 15C on Wednesday!

Anways, a Battery Tender, and good solid connections at all the cable ends are your friend. My Walmart battery spins her just fine.
Oil weight rec's are best found in the owners manual, not by randomly asking other riders.
http://goldwingdocs.com/Docs/Honda%20Goldwing%20GL1100%20Aspencade%201983%20Owners%20Manual-9D970.pdf
Mother Honda reccomends 10W-40 down to 0F.
Current:82 GL1100 Interstate, 60 Amp Poorboy, MSD coil
Previous: 93 GSX1100F Katana
82 GL500 Silverwing

patbrandon1
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 I
1981 Honda CM400C

Postby patbrandon1 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:01 pm

How old is you battery? There could be several reasons that you aren't getting enough amps to the starter, and the starter could need some attention. Have you searched the how to articles and cleaned up all connections that would not allow good connection? I have a Wal-Mart battery, and mine cranks just fine. I have though, done some work making sure all connections involved are clean. And also did a fuse box change from glass to blade type. That made a difference as well. I'm not saying the battery isn't the problem, but there are many other variables that can hinder good starts.

As far as oil. You are going to get many different opinions. Do a search in this forum and you will see many people use different stuff. I attached a pic of what my manual says. I use 10 W 40. I don't use synthetic myself, because I like to change the oil religiously every 3,000 miles. And I usually use Shell Rotella. Just make sure you change it and the filter, often enough
Attachments

mfrancis

Postby mfrancis » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:23 am

Thanks for the answers guys, her are some answers you asked for

I bought the bike a year ago and put the new Battery in then so it is barely a year old, and I have a Battery tender attached and I try to start my bike each weekend so that it can run a little.
I spent most of the day yesterday checking all wires and fues'es so they should all be ok

I notice that when it is below 30F then she has a hard time starting, even in the garage all night does not make a difference. During the summer she spins up each and every morning without a problem so I was thinking it was the battery

Is there a good place to purchase the oil? is it the same as car/truck Oil?

patbrandon1
1981 Honda CM400C

Postby patbrandon1 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:18 pm

mfrancis wrote:Thanks for the answers guys, her are some answers you asked for

I bought the bike a year ago and put the new Battery in then so it is barely a year old, and I have a Battery tender attached and I try to start my bike each weekend so that it can run a little.
I spent most of the day yesterday checking all wires and fues'es so they should all be ok

I notice that when it is below 30F then she has a hard time starting, even in the garage all night does not make a difference. During the summer she spins up each and every morning without a problem so I was thinking it was the battery

Is there a good place to purchase the oil? is it the same as car/truck Oil?

The starters in these bike are very easy to make good. The old grease and brush dust in them can make them really struggle under a load. And the colder the bike, the more the load. There is an excellent how to about this here...viewtopic.php?f=11&t=259

The oil is the same as as car/truck oil. Delo is often used, Rotella is my choice, Quaker state, ect... Wal-Mart is where I get mine. Just make sure it is SAE, and the weight is within the Honda recommendations. If I were you, I would use 10W40. Some say a lighter grade will make it easier to start, but if it is struggling to start, find the problem. the 10 in the 10w30 and 10w40 are what the viscosity is supposed to feel like to the bike when cold. These starters and a newer battery should roll your bike over easily. Also, chase all connections associated with starting, and make sure the are all clean. It WILL help. Keep us posted.

patbrandon1
1981 Honda CM400C

Postby patbrandon1 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:34 pm

One more thing. I have been told that if I just start my bike without taking it on at least a half hour ride, it will do it more harm than good. Reason being, condensation doesn't have a chance to burn off from all the parts that are being heated, and thus causing rust. And when you run it, you are using gas, and the level in the tank goes down, leaving more room in the tank for rust to form. Top the tank off. I take my battery right out and into the basement for the winter. Takes about 5 minutes. And I put the tender on it about one day every week. Has worked for me ever since I have owned bikes, and that would be 41 years now. My God I'm getting old. Beats not getting any though. Maybe have a look at this how to by WingAdmin...viewtopic.php?f=11&t=862

But for sure, put the bike on the center stand, make sure the gas petcock is turned OFF, and go out and pet it every day.

SteveB123

Postby SteveB123 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:42 pm

mfrancis wrote:Thanks for the answers guys, her are some answers you asked for

Sorry, I must have missed something......are you just starting and running the bike in the garage, without riding it?
If it's too cold to ride, and the bike doesn't need to be started....why are you concerned whether it starts if it's too cold to ride?

Seems to me you're doing a bunch of high load/high battery drain (cold temp) starts, without enough time of high-ish RPM riding to charge the battery back up.
It doesn't need to 'run a little' every weekend. THAT's probably why your killing your battery.

Or I've mis-interpeted your posts. Or something else. :D
82 GL500 Silverwing

SteveB123

Postby SteveB123 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:54 pm

patbrandon1 wrote:[The oil is the same as as car/truck oil. Delo is often used, Rotella is my choice,

:shock:

The Rotella you use is Motorcycle (JASO MA) rated. Most car/truck oils are NOT.
82 GL500 Silverwing

mfrancis

Postby mfrancis » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:42 pm

hi Everyone

First off let me say thanks to all of you and your advice

To ansewer a few of the questions recently asked, I was told by my brother(big time harley riders) that in the winter I should start my bike and let it run for 10 minutes once a week so that there is no gas corruption and to keep seals moist, therefore I have been starting it when it is cold and let it run for 10 minutes.

Well after checking all the wiring yesterday and reading your post reply's this morning I went to start the bike up and go for a spin and now all i get is the sound of the started just spinning. Does this mean I need a new starter or do I just clean it as recomended in this post already?

Thanks for the advice on the Oil, I will be following that for sure

mfrancis

Postby mfrancis » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:09 pm

Ok not being very good at taking apart and putting back together I have ordered a new starter, but will be taking the broken one apart and try and see if I can clean it up and possibly keep it as a spare

patbrandon1
1981 Honda CM400C

Postby patbrandon1 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:49 pm

One more quick thing. I have read somewhere, maybe the owners manual, that these stators don't even charge back to the battery until about 950 rpms. If you are just letting the bike idle, you aren't getting a charge to the battery, just drain. I'm going to look for where I saw that info and will get back to you.

Also do check for the SE or SF for the oil you buy. In the pic of my service manual, it will tell you specifically what mother Honda suggests for these bikes as far as requirements for service classification for oil.

SteveB123

Postby SteveB123 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:17 pm

patbrandon1 wrote:Also do check for the SE or SF for the oil you buy. In the pic of my service manual, it will tell you specifically what mother Honda suggests for these bikes as far as requirements for service classification for oil.

A 30 year old spec for motor oil, SF is listed as "obsolete".

Where are you finding SF oils?
82 GL500 Silverwing

Wilcoy02
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 I purchased 3/16

1983 GL1100I frame with an 80 engine. poor boy installed with C-5 ignition--DIED in Grande Prairie Alberta Canada 8/15

98 valkyrie sold 8/16

Postby Wilcoy02 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:50 pm

Your bike needs oil for motorcycles as your manual states. BECAUSE car oil does not have the stuff needed to keep your clutch wet.
The oil in the bike also is used for your wet clutch in the bike. Rotella is good for bike also.

maybe someone will chime in to better give this explanation.

patbrandon1
1981 Honda CM400C

Postby patbrandon1 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:15 pm

SteveB123 wrote:
patbrandon1 wrote:Also do check for the SE or SF for the oil you buy. In the pic of my service manual, it will tell you specifically what mother Honda suggests for these bikes as far as requirements for service classification for oil.

Just quoting what the owners manual said. They still sell it. http://www.amazon.com/Accel-22500-SAE-1 ... B0052KY6TE

But when these bikes were manufactured, the top-of-the-line motor oil was rated SF, so that's what Mother Honda called for. Since then, oils have continued to improve. They now last longer, lubricate better and hold more contaminants in suspension. And as oils have gotten better, they've been given higher designations. SH replaced SG in the top spot. Then came SI, SJ, SK and SL. And now the best-performing oil is SM. Not to be confused with tying people up and whipping them, which I'm quite sure API no longer endorses. So, since the vehicle calls for SG or better, this engine can run on anything from SE through SM.

But I don't believe that is as important as making sure that the oil one chooses is approved for the particular motorcycle, and Mother Honda would answer that question, just call the local dealer.

SteveB123

Postby SteveB123 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:59 pm

patbrandon1 wrote:
SteveB123 wrote:

Just quoting what the owners manual said. They still sell it. http://www.amazon.com/Accel-22500-SAE-1 ... B0052KY6TE

But when these bikes were manufactured, the top-of-the-line motor oil was rated SF, so that's what Mother Honda called for. Since then, oils have continued to improve. They now last longer, lubricate better and hold more contaminants in suspension. And as oils have gotten better, they've been given higher designations. SH replaced SG in the top spot. Then came SI, SJ, SK and SL. And now the best-performing oil is SM. Not to be confused with tying people up and whipping them, which I'm quite sure API no longer endorses. So, since the vehicle calls for SG or better, this engine can run on anything from SE through SM.

I'm interested in knowing where you've found that the engine calls for "SG or better." The manual calls for SE or SF only.
Certainly, I agree that oils have improved and lubricate better.

Anyways, my assertion is to ensure that whatever oil is chosen, it is spec'd for wet clutch use.
Allison C4, or JASO MA are both good for wet clutch use. Like Rotella, which is also a heckuva deal.
Using an "energy saving" engine oil, in a motorcycle engine, transmission and clutch casing may not end well.
82 GL500 Silverwing

patbrandon1
1981 Honda CM400C

Postby patbrandon1 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:15 pm

My mistake Steve. It was supposed to be SE or better, not SG. Typo. And the reason the manual called for SE or SF is that was the best at the time. And I do suggest that he call Honda when he makes his choice, to make sure it is a quality oil for the wet clutch. I've been using Rotella motor oil since 1985 and am very happy with it. I don't recommend "energy saving" or "extended use" oils at all. I don't recommend synthetic either, but I know some Wingers that use it.

I will edit my previous post to read correctly, thanks.

I can no longer edit that post, I hope others see that it was a mistake.

SteveB123

Postby SteveB123 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:55 pm

patbrandon1 wrote:My mistake Steve. It was supposed to be SE or better, not SG. Typo. And the reason the manual called for SE or SF is that was the best at the time. And I do suggest that he call Honda when he makes his choice, to make sure it is a quality oil for the wet clutch. I've been using Rotella motor oil since 1985 and am very happy with it. I don't recommend "energy saving" or "extended use" oils at all.

Just for grins, I checked oil recomendations for the GL1800 in the factory owners manual.

API-"SG or higher except oils labeled as energy conserving on the circular API service label"
JASO-"MA"

My issue in this thread is the previous assertion that "the oil is the same as car/truck oil". Most common passenger vehicle oils are labelled as energy saving, so the oil for a wet clutch bike is NOT same as car/truck oil.
Simply going by the latest API "S" code car oil will practicly ensure that an energy saving formulation will be used....but that wasn't an issue when the bikes were built, and the spec'd oil was SE or SF. It is now.

Oh, and Mother Honda's suggested oil for the 1800?
"Pro Honda GN4 4-stroke oil (USA & Canada), or Honda 4-stroke oil (Canada only), or an equivalent motorcycle oil. Do not use API SH or higher oils displaying a circular API ‘‘energy conserving’’ service label on the container. They may affect lubrication and clutch performance."
FWIW, I'm also a Rotella user.
82 GL500 Silverwing

mfrancis

Postby mfrancis » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:58 pm

One last wuestion, how much Oil do I put in my Goldwing 1100 Aspencade?

SteveB123

Postby SteveB123 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:09 am

mfrancis wrote:One last wuestion, how much Oil do I put in my Goldwing 1100 Aspencade?

Download and save the manual in post #2.
82 GL500 Silverwing

aboatnuttwo
Motorcycle: 2013 Kawasaki KLR650
1985 Honda TRX125
1985 Honda NQ50
1982 Honda GL1100A Aspencade
1982 Honda CM250
1982 Honda XL250
1981 Honda Passport C70
1971 Honda CL100

Postby aboatnuttwo » Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:05 pm

Hey guys, new to GL1100 bikes, but have been riding and collecting Honda's for the last 45 years. And on the oil issue, Honda sells Honda 10-40 oil, works great. I use it in every Honda (4 cycle) that I've owned, including my Honda lawn mower. People complain about the cost, but really you don't need that much and the price is comparable to other premium brands. I buy three gallons and a half dozen filters to fit everything and spend a weekend changing oil in everything each spring. I guess the bottom line is I would rather be out riding then working out which oil is better or cheaper that another.
With batteries I just started using Battery Tender brand lithium batteries and they are great. Stuck one in the 82 Aspey, my Honda quad and in a '13 KLR650. As soon as the wallet recovers a bit I'm get 4 more for the balance of the 12 volt bikes, I just wish they would come out with a 6 volt unit.

By the way GREAT site, this is by far the best motorcycle form I've found. Great bunch of very knowledgeable folks!

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”