Speakers


Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
warnett
Posts: 67
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:19 pm
Location: Stockdale, Texas
Motorcycle: 1982 gl1100 aspencade

Speakers

Postby warnett » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:14 pm



Clarion ii Probaly on most. Does any one know which wire from the amp to the speakers is the neg. The one with the strip or the plain one.



User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 17045
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Speakers

Postby WingAdmin » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:35 pm

warnett wrote:Clarion ii Probaly on most. Does any one know which wire from the amp to the speakers is the neg. The one with the strip or the plain one.


I don't recall, but the positive and negative connectors on the speakers are different sizes, so you won't be able to hook it up backward.

warnett
Posts: 67
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:19 pm
Location: Stockdale, Texas
Motorcycle: 1982 gl1100 aspencade

Re: Speakers

Postby warnett » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:59 pm

Thanks for the reply. Problem is they are not the orginal speakers. They are marked + and - but I don't know which wires from the power amp is - and +.

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 17045
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Speakers

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:07 am

warnett wrote:Thanks for the reply. Problem is they are not the orginal speakers. They are marked + and - but I don't know which wires from the power amp is - and +.


It doesn't matter - as long as you hook both speakers up the same way, you can run them either way. What you don't want to do is hook one up one way, and the other up the other way. You will get terrible sound like that.

warnett
Posts: 67
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:19 pm
Location: Stockdale, Texas
Motorcycle: 1982 gl1100 aspencade

Re: Speakers

Postby warnett » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:36 am

thanks I was thinking that but wanted some one to confirm it.. Thanks again

User avatar
Doug B.
Posts: 63
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:22 pm
Location: Cadott, WI
Motorcycle: 1998 Honda GL1500SE with DFT Trike kit
1998 HondaGL1500SE
1995 Honda GL1500I
1984 Honda VF700 Magna
1975 Honda MT250 Elsinore
1970 Honda CT70HKO (4 speed)

Re: Speakers

Postby Doug B. » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:02 am

WingAdmin wrote:
warnett wrote:Thanks for the reply. Problem is they are not the orginal speakers. They are marked + and - but I don't know which wires from the power amp is - and +.


It doesn't matter - as long as you hook both speakers up the same way, you can run them either way. What you don't want to do is hook one up one way, and the other up the other way. You will get terrible sound like that.


This is called phase separation, and you are certainly right! Sound will be very "thin" sounding. For your info.....Generally the striped wire, sometimes a colored stripe, sometimes a stripe molded into the rubber/vinyl is the positive lead. This would go to the positive/+ terminal on the speaker.

Great forum everybody!


"The only problem with 'common sense' is that it is not all that common." Charles Kuralt


Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”




Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo Slurp [Bot] and 1 guest