Belt Swap Soon

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
tunaboy
Motorcycle: 1980GL1100 NICE!

Belt Swap Soon

Postby tunaboy » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:41 pm

I have a long list of things to do to my 1100 as soon as it gets warm with Belts being a must. I plan to get the bike running before I do the belts and will pull the radiator at the same time to do the radiator hoses Plus this will make the belts easier to get at. My question is can I get the belt covers back on easily with the radiator remounted? I want to start the bike and get it warmed up so I can check the belt tension before I button it up. I did take one cover off about a year ago to look at the belts and could never get the center bolt back in. I am not a klutz and never could get the bolt to grab. ( threads are not stripped) I really want to monitor the belt tension with the new set after the engine is hot. Just worried about being able to get both covers back on properly afterwords.
Thx

trashtruck
Motorcycle: 1982 gl1100 interstate

Re: Belt Swap Soon

Postby trashtruck » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:04 pm

yes, you can put covers back on with the radiator in place but no, it's not easy to do. a lot of guys just leave the middle bolts out or you could let the bike cool down and pull the bottom of the radiator forward to gain acces.
WHAT IS THE SPEED OF DARK?

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”