brake bleeding

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Stephen
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100I Naked

brake bleeding

Postby Stephen » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:50 pm

1980 GL1100i
I pulled and rebuilt both the front calipers and I am in the process of flushing/bleeding them. I have fluid coming out but cannot get any pressure. I work on one side and then switch to the other. Am I chasing an air bubble or did I miss something else? I did not rebuild the master cylinder.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: brake bleeding

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:00 pm

What are you using to bleed them? I've had difficulties in the past bleeding brakes, but all of that went away when I bought a Mity-Vac. Works great for flushing, too. Put the Mity-Vac on the left caliper bleeder first, make sure the master cylinder is full of fluid, pump up the vacuum in the Mity-Vac, then open the bleeder and pump until you get clear (fresh) fluid. Close the bleeder, refill the master cylinder, and repeat the process on the right caliper. Shouldn't take more than a few minutes, and it works, the first time.

You can end up with small air bubbles in the fluid, leaving you with a spongy brake lever. A (reasonably) quick and easy way to get rid of them is to pump the brake lever a few times, then squeeze it tight, wrap a bungee around it to hold it tight, and leave it to sit overnight. It might take a couple times, but this normally will purge the bubbles from your system, moving it up to the top of the master cylinder and out of the fluid.

MSGT-R
Motorcycle: 13 F6B
81 GL1100 (gone)

Postby MSGT-R » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:28 am

You're probably chasing a bubble in the "junction log". It drove me a little nuts when I changed over to SS lines. Thankfully, Galfer gave me a bolt with a bleeder feature in it for the junction connection.

You can crack this bolt open for bleeding, but make sure your fender is protected!
Don't spook the road sheep.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:52 am

MSGT-R wrote:You're probably chasing a bubble in the "junction log". It drove me a little nuts when I changed over to SS lines. Thankfully, Galfer gave me a bolt with a bleeder feature in it for the junction connection.

You can crack this bolt open for bleeding, but make sure your fender is protected!

There's a much easier way than that to get a bubble out of there - just put the bike on the sidestand and let it sit overnight! :) If that doesn't work, leave the bike on the sidestand, and tie the brake lever off as I described above.

Tying the brake lever off compresses the air in the lines, making the bubbles much smaller, so that they can get through lines and orifices easier and make their way up to the master cylinder reservoir.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”