New Starter and solenoid

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
mfrancis
Motorcycle: 1983 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade

New Starter and solenoid

Postby mfrancis » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:13 pm

Hi everyone

I have just installed a new starter and I have question about how it looks. I lined up the bolt holes and I wiggled the starter into place so that I did not screw up the small gear that is on the chain. Once I had what I thought was lind up I pushed and wiggled and felt the starter slide in easily a little bit and then I tapped the back of the starter untill I had the bolt holes lined up. Still it looks like it is not in all the way. There is nothing showing where it is inserted into the housing where the chain and little sprocket sits, and I cannot see the small seal that was around the starter nose and it is bolted up nice and snugg but still it looks not quite right.

Second question is about the solenoid, the one that came with the new starter is a bit different. The four wire clip that was on my bike does not fit into the new solenoid but the new solenoid came with four wires so I was thinking that I could basiclly cut the wire behind the plastic wire clip that was there when I started and then wire the wires to the new solenoid. I am not sure if this is a good thing to do or not and if is then how do I dertermine which wire goes where?

My old solenoid loooks like this
http://compare.ebay.com/like/3706324116 ... s&var=sbar

The new solenoid looks like this
http://compare.ebay.com/like/2211081266 ... s&var=sbar

The new solenoid has a much newer fuse, the plastic clip that is holding the wires that go into the soleniod does not fit.

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Re: New Starter and solenoid

Postby RBGERSON » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:54 am

Your starter is probably OK..aftermarket maybe skightly different..as long as the o ring is all teh way in and the splines seemed to slip into place w/o too much effort shoudl be go to go..the solenoid is OK too..but be where it may not last like the original..25 years..china stuff most likely..but hooking up the wires provided is how it's done. Yes the blade fuse is an improvement .
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”