Ok new starter and solenoid installed and same problem

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
mfrancis
Motorcycle: 1983 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade

Ok new starter and solenoid installed and same problem

Postby mfrancis » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:37 pm

Hi everyone

I have installed a new starter motor and also a new solenoid and almost like before when you hit the start button I get a spinning noise, but if I just slightly hit the starter button I can get the bike to start, not everytime maybe 1 out 3 trys of slightly pressing the start button.

Any suggestions and help is greatly appreciated as I am a complete newbie at this and very desperate to get my bike running and do not have money to take it to a bike shop

This is a 1983 honda Goldwing Aspencade

trashtruck
Motorcycle: 1982 gl1100 interstate

Re: Ok new starter and solenoid installed and same problem

Postby trashtruck » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:48 pm

sounds more like starter clutch. run a can of sea foam in the oil and ride for an easy 100 mi or so then change out oil and filter. the springs and rollers get gummed up with junk and the clutch wont engage properly. it sits behind the rotor/stator so any repairs require a motor pull.
WHAT IS THE SPEED OF DARK?

mfrancis

Postby mfrancis » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:52 pm

Thanks I read about this sea Foam and I am now ordring two cans and also new oil filters so that I can run it and change the oil

mfrancis

Postby mfrancis » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:13 pm

One other question, I ma looking at the Maintenance maunal and I found the clutch but nothing about sprag clutch so when everyone is talking about the clutch I am assuming there is only one?

trashtruck

Postby trashtruck » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:42 pm

the bike has the "main" clutch, 8 disks & plates that transfer power from the motor to the drive. there is also a starter clutch that sits behind the altenator inside the motor. you hit the starter button, activating the soleniod, supplying power to spin the starter. the starter spins a small gear inside the motor rotating a chain and spins the starter clutch. when the motor builds up enough rpm, it starts and you release the starter button cutting power to the starter allowing the clutch to release and spin freely.

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby RBGERSON » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:18 am

this is the starter clutch
Attachments
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

trashtruck

Postby trashtruck » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:25 am

thanks rb, should have taken pics of mine when i had my stator out awhile ago but never thought about it.

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:19 pm

I like photo's and explanations to go along with it...Thanks fella's..

mfrancis

Postby mfrancis » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:54 pm

Thanks so much for the pics, these will help a lot and I understand better now. You all rock!

mfrancis

Postby mfrancis » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:37 pm

Hi Everyone

Well I have not been able to do anything to my bike because of a back problem so I cannot work on or ride my bike, but I have been starting it once in awhile and there is something new happening. So far three time when I press the starter button the engine starts and it sounds like the starter is still trying to start the bike. I have to hit the starter button again and it stops. Is it possible that my starter button is going out?

trashtruck

Postby trashtruck » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:47 pm

it's possible, but i would look at the soleniod first. sounds like it's not releasing the starter (continues to make contact ) might be sticking open instead of closing as it should. may also be the starter clutch not releasing and dragging the starter.

mfrancis

Postby mfrancis » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:06 pm

Thanks for the imput but I just replaced the starter motor and the solenoid two weeks ago and they are both brand new

I did have to grind down the wire harness that pluged into the old solenoid so that it would fit into the new solenoid. I really wish I knew how to use a volt meter to test what is going on with the solenoid but I dont.

trashtruck

Postby trashtruck » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:22 pm

try this: turn key on. jump the 2 lugs ( where the battery and starter cables attach ) if the bike starts and the starter doesn't turn off, then i'd look at the starter button. use some contact cleaner inside the housing. continue with the seafoam in the oil, may take 3 or 4 tries to free up the starter clutch. marvels mystery oil will cut this down some. some have even added a little kerosene.

mfrancis

Postby mfrancis » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:18 pm

Ok wil ltry that as soon as it is warm enough, down in the low 30's today

mfrancis

Postby mfrancis » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:30 pm

Ok first off All you guys(and Girls too) ROCK!!!

I was finally able to put in the se foam and when I tried to start my bike nothing, no lights no starter turning , nothing at all so I back tracked what I had done and found that I did not have the ground connection to my battery tight. After tightening it down still nothing so I take look at the fueses and yep I have blown two. Head to the parts store and buy replacements fuese for all fuese and put them in and WOOT!!! it starts. I took it for a 50 mile run and had a blast. When I got back home the bike now starts right up, no more spinning sound at all so the Sea foam did it's magic. Since I am still recovering from back surgery I will wait untill tomorrow to change the oil and filter but I thought I would let you great people know that you advice has paid off.

Thanks ever so much once again to each and everyone of you.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:33 pm

mfrancis wrote:Ok first off All you guys(and Girls too) ROCK!!!

I was finally able to put in the se foam and when I tried to start my bike nothing, no lights no starter turning , nothing at all so I back tracked what I had done and found that I did not have the ground connection to my battery tight. After tightening it down still nothing so I take look at the fueses and yep I have blown two. Head to the parts store and buy replacements fuese for all fuese and put them in and WOOT!!! it starts. I took it for a 50 mile run and had a blast. When I got back home the bike now starts right up, no more spinning sound at all so the Sea foam did it's magic. Since I am still recovering from back surgery I will wait untill tomorrow to change the oil and filter but I thought I would let you great people know that you advice has paid off.

Thanks ever so much once again to each and everyone of you.

I had a fuse fail on my 1100, and when I took it out, the ends fell off (the metal parts fell off the glass). Over the years, combined with engine heat, the glue fastening the bits together had dried and crumbled, allowing the ends to move. Eventually the fuse filament was broken and the fuse blew. When I saw that, I bought a pack of fuses and replaced ALL the fuses in the bike.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”