Water pump question?

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
eveready
Motorcycle: 1982 Gl1100I
1985 Suzuki 1200 Madura
2012 Custom Harley

Water pump question?

Postby eveready » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:57 pm

When I bought this 82 Interstate it had sat for over a year. I charged the battery and fired it up and warmed it up. When I shut it down there was a small puddled of oil had came out of the weep hole under the water pump but no coolant. I started the bike acouple days later to check the leak again and it isn't leaking now. Alot of old oil on bottom of motor like it has leaked alot before. So is it the water pump or do I need to look at something else?

trashtruck
Motorcycle: 1982 gl1100 interstate

Re: Water pump question?

Postby trashtruck » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:56 pm

these bikes like to run, not sit. it's possible something inside wasn't getting lubricated and started to dry out. when you ran the bike, the metal warmed, expanded and teporarilly sealed the leak. try this, drain radiator and remove the housing where the bottom radiator attaches to the motor. reach in with your finger and find the water pump shaft. move side to side and up and down, movement = replacement.
WHAT IS THE SPEED OF DARK?

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Re: Water pump question?

Postby RBGERSON » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:48 am

oil leaks from the water pump area three sources oil seal, crush washers or o ring..or bad bearings causing oil seal to leak..but don't worry about it for now run it for a couple of hundred miles if it still leaks change out. The weep hole is a warning hole for pump issues..guys have run their bikes for months leaking small amounts of oil and /or water from the weep hole. blue= water green = oil
Attachments
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”