Your thoughts please

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
warnett
Motorcycle: 1982 gl1100 aspencade

Your thoughts please

Postby warnett » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:29 pm

Bought a 1982 Asp couple of months ago. Bike started good and ran good. Took it to a shop to get checked out. One of my concerns was when cold it sure clanked and spurted when cold. After warming up some sounded fine to me. Tech asked when timing belts were changed and suggested changing them since I had no idea. Carbs were synced and belts changed. Still makes noise like before unless you keep 2000 to 3000 rpm till it warms up some. But now when warm you have to give it a little gas to fire right up. In other words take a ride, shut it off, let it set a bit, hit starter button, won't start, have to give it gas. Didn't have to do that before it was worked on. I don't want to inject a thought I have about the belt tension because of something the tech said. Any way any thoughts or ideas from anyone would be appreciated. Oh the intake o-rings were changed too.

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: Your thoughts please

Postby virgilmobile » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:27 am

It still sounds like carb problems....
Timing belts must be installed by the book...A single tooth off and it will still run,just not very well.It would behove you to tripple check it.They must have a little belt noise that can be heard in the front but should not rattle or whine loudly.
Carbs can be touchy...They cannot be "set" close...They must be "on the money".
Syncing the carbs can be done at home with less cost than a shop,and often better.The carbs are SYNCED with the enging held at 1000 rpm.

My 1000,1100,1200,1500 seem to be a bit cold blooded...I suspect it's about normal.
Remember..there a 25+ year old car(bike)....with a carburator and choke.....It's not a new multiport fuel injected computer controlled engine and takes a minute to warm up and stabilize.

warnett

Re: YOUR THOUGHTS AGAIN

Postby warnett » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:57 am

Bought a 1982 Asp couple of months ago. Bike started good and ran good. Took it to a shop to get checked out. One of my concerns was when cold it sure clanked and spurted when cold. After warming up some sounded fine to me. Tech asked when timing belts were changed and suggested changing them since I had no idea. Carbs were synced and belts changed. Still makes noise like before unless you keep 2000 to 3000 rpm till it warms up some. But now when warm you have to give it a little gas to fire right up. In other words take a ride, shut it off, let it set a bit, hit starter button, won't start, have to give it gas. Didn't have to do that before it was worked on. I don't want to inject a thought I have about the belt tension because of something the tech said. Any way any thoughts or ideas from anyone would be appreciated. Oh intake o-rings changed too.
Thought I would repost and explain. There was no start problem before timing belts and intake o-rings were replaced. The start problem is only when warmed up good. It would start by just hitting start button b4 work was done.
I rechecked timing belts and as far as I can tell its right.
The intake o-rings were replaced because there was (the tech said gas) leaking at #4. He said gas, it was green looking to me against the aluminum. I don't understand how there would be a gas leak at the intake of the head. This is a case of "if it ain't broke don't fix it"
About the belts the tech said he tightens belts a little extra to allow for stretch.

SteveB123
Motorcycle: 1982 1100I, 60A Poorboy, MSD coil

Re: YOUR THOUGHTS AGAIN

Postby SteveB123 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:12 am

warnett wrote:About the belts the tech said he tightens belts a little extra to allow for stretch.

The tech is an ass. Timing belts don't stretch.
All his work is now suspect.
Current:82 GL1100 Interstate, 60 Amp Poorboy, MSD coil
Previous: 93 GSX1100F Katana
82 GL500 Silverwing

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby RBGERSON » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:28 am

Clanking at idle suspect it needs to be synched not a big deal but you have to have gauges to do it..green equals antifreeze usually..not good..bad head gasket or..and hope it's this bad o ring or fit on the crossover tubing located under the carbs. what does it idle at when cold?? choke not working properly or set wrong, idle too low??? turn idle up a bit see is that fixes the problem..could be air leak too...
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:17 pm

Agreed. Green fluid is normally coolant (if the coolant in the bike is in fact green).

Also agree about the tech - the whole point behind timing belts is that they do not stretch, at all, EVER. Putting them on a bit too tight means that they will rapidly wear the teeth off the belt and cause it to fail. There is a very good reason why Honda specifies the exact tension to be placed on these belts. Too loose, and your timing fluctuates. Too tight and the belt wears.

warnett

Postby warnett » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:42 pm

Yes I have read about the belts don't stretch and to tight will wear the idler tension bearings whic he came and changed as soon as soon as I complained that noise wasn't there before. So belt tension isn't going to cause the no fire right off without giving it a little gas. The green stuff right where the manafold connects to the head. I know gas isn't green but I wonder if the sta-bl makes it appear that way and what gets me is thats straight down so how can it leak at the intake. Wish I knewn of another place to take it but the big shops don't want to work on that old of a bike. I live in Seguin Texas

patbrandon1
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 I
1981 Honda CM400C

Postby patbrandon1 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:09 am

warnett wrote:Bought a 1982 Asp couple of months ago. Bike started good and ran good. Took it to a shop to get checked out. One of my concerns was when cold it sure clanked and spurted when cold. After warming up some sounded fine to me. Tech asked when timing belts were changed and suggested changing them since I had no idea. Carbs were synced and belts changed. Still makes noise like before unless you keep 2000 to 3000 rpm till it warms up some. But now when warm you have to give it a little gas to fire right up. In other words take a ride, shut it off, let it set a bit, hit starter button, won't start, have to give it gas. Didn't have to do that before it was worked on. I don't want to inject a thought I have about the belt tension because of something the tech said. Any way any thoughts or ideas from anyone would be appreciated. Oh the intake o-rings were changed too.

When you say the noise clanked and sputtered, is that while running on the road, or at a stand still? I don't think the carbs are in sync yet, even though they said they did it, am I correct in that? Or did you sync them? Does the noise sound a little like a few marbles are in the crankcase? My 82 interstate takes a one third throttle turn, then let off and hit the start button when it is warm, to start it. I think it even says that in my manual. I'll have to check, but I do think it says that. Have you run Seafoam through the gas tank yet? Do that twice. But have someone, even yourself, sync the carbs, once you know the valves are adjusted right.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:19 pm

You would have to add an awful lot of Sta-bil to your gas to turn it green. Leaking coolant ABOVE the intakes is generally caused by the coolant crossover tube seals. That tube is a couple of inches above the engine, and goes from left to right. The deterioration of the rubber seals on the ends of it is a common cause of coolant leaks. You'll often find coolant pooling on the top of the engine, near the heads, when this occurs.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”