eBay seller screwed me! Seized carbs :(

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
B0b88
Motorcycle: 1981 Goldwing GL1100

eBay seller screwed me! Seized carbs :(

Postby B0b88 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:42 pm

This complete AHOLE completely screwed me, he said the throttle linkage worked fine and they weren't seized. In his picture he cleaned the outsides of the carbs to make them look nice, when I inboxed them everything is completely seized!!!! I'm not sure if I can make them work again! I don't have the money for randakks kit! And even with the kit I'm not sure these carbs would unseize :/

Here is a pic of the mess I just bought.

Going to dispute it with my bank if this poor excuse for a human doesn't refund 100% of my money!

Any ideas for making these carbs work again?

newomij
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade

Re: eBay seller screwed me! Seized carbs :(

Postby newomij » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:47 pm

First of all, it wasn't eBay that screwed you so let's start by placing blame where blame is due. If you used PayPal, they have a user insurance type of protection that will cover you if a seller sold you something defective or fraudulent. Start by contacting the seller to ask for your money back. If the seller will not provide a full refund, then contact PayPal and follow their instructions to the letter and you will get your money back after you return the item (without further damage) to the seller. But, before you do any of that, I would take the carburetors down to the nearest motorcycle shop and get an estimate on the repair. Inform the seller of the damage and provide a copy of the estimate from the shop and see if he/she will pay for the repair as opposed to returning the item. If you are nice about it and don't call them names like AHOLE, they might be willing to help you out. If they are willing to pay for the repair, then you've got rebuilt carbs for the same price you paid for used (who knows what you might get) carbs from someone on eBay. Or, if they are willing to pay for the repair and you can do the repair yourself, you'll end up making a couple bucks for your trouble. Someone here will know how to help with your carb repair but I doubt any of them will be willing to help someone who starts by calling people names and blaming entities incorrectly.

SteveB123
Motorcycle: 1982 1100I, 60A Poorboy, MSD coil

Postby SteveB123 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:04 pm

You need to make up your mind.
Why are you asking how to fix them, if you're sending them back?

Randakks kit isn't very much more than any other kit, it's just better. K&L kits are ~$50/carb.
Current:82 GL1100 Interstate, 60 Amp Poorboy, MSD coil
Previous: 93 GSX1100F Katana
82 GL500 Silverwing

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:37 pm

How much were they Bob if you don't mind me asking..??? I got burned by a guy once, I got them from someone off another site...Here's what I got...Your's are not near as bad...but still if the guy said they were in good working order then you would expect to be able to place them on after a quick clean up and go thru...
This is BS man, I paid for this
This is BS man, I paid for this
I never forget anything, and nobody should do something like this
I never forget anything, and nobody should do something like this
We work really hard for our money and some fool burns us...I couldn't do anything for them... total burn...I even paid him extra, being all nice and such for shipping, he is the worse individual on Earth,,, the photo of them when I agreed to buy them was somewhat further away and I could not see them so well...they were at the bottom of a river or lake for a spell I think..I wish to inflick a little pain upon this individual now but he ain't worth my time.. :lol:

B0b88

Postby B0b88 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:51 pm

I paid $150 for these carbs. Wow newomij a really harsh reply... You must be an eBay seller. I obviously know it wasn't eBay who screwed me, if you read my post you would know that. The fact is that this guy lied to me. He is an AHOLE if you purposely deceive people to make $$ you are an AHOLE! I have already filed a claim with PayPal as the seller has not replied to my two messages where I spoke to him completely cordial, even though I'd love to ring his bell right about now. You see I've sat around for over a week now because the seller took three days to ship the carbs and then used the cheapest shipping USPS allows. He is one state away and it took 4 days to get them here. Excitedly I opened the box ready to get to work cleaning and adjusting only to find out the guy completely deceived me! You may not think I'm justified in calling this guy an AHOLE, but I'm quite positive in my assumption.

Greg_C
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100 Interstate (sold)
1976 GL1000 (WIP)

Postby Greg_C » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:29 pm

Speaking of harsh replies...Bob88 ... Think you might want to cool down before you flame folks on this site trying to help you. I happen to agree 100% with the suggestions by Newomij. Suggest you follow his advice. As with most used parts sold on e-bay it's buyer beware. If your expectation was to buy a set of used 30 year old carbs that you would not have to spend some money on, you are dreaming.

Folks on this site are here to help other goldwing owners... Treat them with some courtesy and less attitude and you,ll get a ton of help to turn this situation around and you back in the saddle.

Greg_c
Current Rides:
1976 GL1000 (WIP)
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummings Diesel - Camper puller
2006 Toyota Corolla - My Daily driver
Past Rides:
HMCS Assiniboine (DDH 234)
1980 Porsche 911 SC Targa
1979 MGB Roadster
1980 GL1100 Interstate

indianakid
Motorcycle: 83 GL1100 I

Postby indianakid » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:42 pm

hi Bob88,

hard to tell from just one pic but it does look like a rebuildable / useable set. no signs of excessive corrosion can be seen and they look to be covered with grease (prevents corrosion). have you removed a float bowl? are the idle jets screw in? do the slides and air chambers look OK?

i dont want to sound like a one trick pony but the most important thing is to use lots of patients.

150 aint bad for a rebuildable set of carbs. take your time, take them apart (please dont use the drill) and take a lot of pictures. there are a lot of folks out here who are willing to help.

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:48 pm

I think Bob is chapped because that guy on Ebay lied about the linkage being in good working order and when they were not as promised, the burners fired up :shock: , he is simply venting and I understand, probably should of or could have worded his vent in a different manner though.. It's cool Bob it's just going to take some more time but you will get it straightened out and get that Wing rolling man.. :D

B0b88

Postby B0b88 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:07 am

Exactly beaver, I came here to vent a bit about a guy who completely lied to me deliberately just so I would purchase his completely seized carbs. As it is dark outside I will post pics of (don't know the official term) the axels which run through the carbs and link all the carbs together are rusted over and incapable of moving.... Yes my title is a bit decieving... I meant, buying a part off eBay screwed me over. I guarantee someone from this forum or goldwingfacts would not have done me dirty like this.. The people in this world really chap my hide sometimes... If any of you were standing in my shoes right now you would be an unhappy camper as well. The seller is on an iPhone. I know he instantly got my messages and still has not replied... The condition of the carbs at this point doesn't matter as I cannot touch them until I find out if this guy is going to continue to try and stiff me or make right his wrong.

P.s. Thanks all for the help thus far! I would be nowhere without this forum and all the knowledgeable people that frequent it :)

Greg_C
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100 Interstate (sold)
1976 GL1000 (WIP)

Postby Greg_C » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:58 am

Bob88,

If you can,t get satisfaction fron the seller or can,t return these carbs you still might be able to get them into usable condition. I just rebuilt my set (first time for me) and got thru it with help from site resources, and guys like Littlebeaver, who wins hands down the "ugliest set of carbs" award.

Your one picture of your carb does not look that bad but as Indianakid points out is hard to tell. As he says patience is key in carb rebuild .

IF u keep the carbs perhaps a good spray down / soaking with liquid wrench or WD40 might loosen things up. It may be that only one of the throttle valves are stuck and once the individual carbs are separated you will find some movement. The linkages may be the culprit. Just keep watchout for tiny o-rings that can get away on you. Keep the carb parts separate from each other as you disassemble .

On the 80 and 81 carbs the idle jets normally cant be removed during rebuild but Littlebeaver has some ideas/ suggestions. One suggestion...As the rubber membranes on the vacume pumps on each carb can be damaged by some solvents/cleaners, if you intend to reuse them you should remove first.

Good luck. And hope things work out for u Bob88.
Current Rides:
1976 GL1000 (WIP)
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummings Diesel - Camper puller
2006 Toyota Corolla - My Daily driver
Past Rides:
HMCS Assiniboine (DDH 234)
1980 Porsche 911 SC Targa
1979 MGB Roadster
1980 GL1100 Interstate

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby RBGERSON » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:51 am

Post his ebay seller ID her so we all know who he/she is..I agree naming calling does help but sure feels good :D .

$150 for a set of ready to goo carbs isn't bad but for even rebuildable that's seems high to me. Add $200 for a good set of carbs kits..randakk's of course, and your at $350 plus labor..

You got screwed no doubt..don't call him email through the ebay/paypal system( include references to your calls to get that on the record) so you have a record they can track and read..the only real issue is you'll probably have to cover the return shipping..which sucks..I have been through this with stuff on eBay..usually I have no problems but ever once in a While the NOT AS DESCRIBED BUTTON has to be pushed.
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

B0b88

Postby B0b88 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:30 pm

I know I know after all my bitching and complaining haha thanks again for putting up with me :)

[youtube]

[/YouTube]

SteveB123

Postby SteveB123 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:57 pm

82 GL500 Silverwing

SteveB123

Postby SteveB123 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:58 pm

You new-to-you carbs have to come apart to verify the air cut valves, accelerator pump passages and check valves, air bleeds.....hell ALL the tiny passages, of which there are many.
I'd be very cautious about mixing carb parts. Are the new and old carbs from the same year? There are jetting differences between years.

http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12168
This is where it's at, man. Anything less is a fools errand.
82 GL500 Silverwing

B0b88

Postby B0b88 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:27 pm

The carbs came out of a 82 the bike is 81 I ended up cleaning the 82 carb needles and slides... Still outside cleaning hahahaha been at it since 630 am I've checked every passage I could get to without seperating each carb from one another...

B0b88

Postby B0b88 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:28 pm

Still going to use my float bowls off of the 81 carbs as they are identical in everyway.

westgl
Motorcycle: "83' GL1100" "1984 GL1200A""1986 GL1200I" "88' GL1500" "1999 GL1500SE" "12' NC700X" "M109R" "all above are my current Bikes"

Postby westgl » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:04 am

Even if you dont buy Randaaks kit, go to his web site and read Every bit of the info on there.

It will tell you what cleaners to use and What NOT!!! To use on each part as you can Damage parts very easily.

The cleaning process on carbs is Critical all of the orfices must be clear of old gas and particulate, or the engine wont run right.

It's is partially what you see, and it is also what you Cant see as far as how clean the carb's are.

I have rebuilt 5 carb racks, they must be cleaned and adjusted properly, or You will get flat spots and a poorly running engine.

With that said by the time you get your bike running good, you will be a Goldwing Mechanic, That is a good thing

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”