Tyre Sizes GL1100 1981

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
birkco
Motorcycle: GL1100

Tyre Sizes GL1100 1981

Postby birkco » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:37 am

I have been using Bridgestone Spitfire tyres on my GL1100 1981 - back (130/90V17) and front (110/90-19 S11F) and have had no complaints.
Have just received spare tyres that I ordered and the supplier has given me Front Spitfire 110/90-19 (as before OK ) and Bridgestone Battlax 130/80 -17 BT-45 for the back.
Suppliers says the rear tyre given is within specs and will do ok.
Can I use this Tyre on the rear or should I return and request 130/90V17.
As I see it the profile is slightly lower but would the tyre be as suitable for Touring and day to day riding? Any guidance would be appreciated.

Incidentally I would like to take this opportunity to heap praises on you guys that run this site. As a newbie to Goldwings (have my first 1981 Interstate) this site has proved invaluable and I have not, had to ask too many questions as the answers are already on the site. This has proved especially helpful in Zimbabwe as not too many Goldwings in this neck of the woods. Keep it up and thank you once again.

trashtruck
Motorcycle: 1982 gl1100 interstate

Re: Tyre Sizes GL1100 1981

Postby trashtruck » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:05 am

critical measurement is the width. some manufacturers, even though they're marked the same as oem are wider and will rub. running a low profile tire won't hurt anything but performance (mpg/kpl).
WHAT IS THE SPEED OF DARK?

Wingsconsin
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 - Pearl Orange
1996 GL1500 Aspencade - Pearl Blue
1992 GL1500 Aspencade -Candy Red
1983 Suzuki GS850GL - Blue & Black

Postby Wingsconsin » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:18 am

Go here for an easy calculator for tire sizes.. -- > http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoTireMath.dos

The NEW tire is CLOSE to the right size...
But --
Will turn 31.26 more times per mile as the circumfrence is 3.22 inches smaller.
That means more Revs on the engine too...but very little...
It will be a little shorter too (about 1")

Did they NOT HAVE the correct size...?
No problem I think...but there are trade offs... :|

Postings are my opinions based on experience and acquired knowledge.
Your results may vary. Universal disclaimers apply.

Motorcycle Adventure Storys writen by me
http://neverlost-justexploring.blogspot.com/

birkco
Motorcycle: GL1100

Postby birkco » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:47 am

Trashtruck & wingsconsin Thank you so much for the advice, interesting to use the tire calculator.

As I already have a difference of -9% in the speedo readings and actual speed a further reduction caused by a slightly smaller tyre will be too much, so I will request my supplier to provide me with the correct size.
Thanks Guys.

Wingsconsin

Postby Wingsconsin » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:33 am

birkco wrote:Trashtruck & wingsconsin Thank you so much for the advice, interesting to use the tire calculator.

As I already have a difference of -9% in the speedo readings and actual speed a further reduction caused by a slightly smaller tyre will be too much, so I will request my supplier to provide me with the correct size.
Thanks Guys.

I think the speedo is driven off the front wheel. If that is correct then the only affect the smaller tire on the rear will have is to the tach aand eventually mpg

secheltbob
Motorcycle: 1982 Goldwing Interstate

Postby secheltbob » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:49 pm

Speedo driven from front wheel changing rear tire size will only change the relationship of road speed to engine speed. Matching tire types front and back is always a good idea whichever tires you chose. You always want to have the same amount of tire to road friction with both tires.

Wingsconsin

Postby Wingsconsin » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:42 am

secheltbob wrote: Matching tire types front and back is always a good idea whichever tires you chose. You always want to have the same amount of tire to road friction with both tires.

:?:
I don't think I understand this...
Having different tires from front to rear is not a problem in my experience.
Currently MY 1500 has some radically different tires on the front from the rear ...for the past 20,000 miles with no problems...

trashtruck
Motorcycle: 1982 gl1100 interstate

Postby trashtruck » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:05 am

the speedometer is on the front wheel. because the front wheel is larger it doesn't turn at the same revolutions as the rear. ( example: the rear makes one complete revolution and the front only comes around 85% of its revolution ). the spedometer is matched to this and reads your speed. using a smaller rear tire, it still makes one revolution but the front only makes 75% of it's revolution, throwing off the speedometer and therefore your fuel economy. you can't get good mpg if you're traveling 10% slower than you normally do.
WHAT IS THE SPEED OF DARK?

Wingsconsin

Postby Wingsconsin » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:25 am

trashtruck wrote:the speedometer is on the front wheel. because the front wheel is larger it doesn't turn at the same revolutions as the rear. ( example: the rear makes one complete revolution and the front only comes around 85% of its revolution ). the spedometer is matched to this and reads your speed. using a smaller rear tire, it still makes one revolution but the front only makes 75% of it's revolution, throwing off the speedometer and therefore your fuel economy. you can't get good mpg if you're traveling 10% slower than you normally do.

...Uhhhh.... WHAT...?!?!? :?

The front wheel turns at the speed the bike is going thanks to contact with the road surface..It will spin at 30 MPH as long as the bike is going 30 MPH...The Speed at whcih the rear wheel turns has NO AFFECT on the front (except to determine the forward momentum) The rear wheel can tun as many times as needed to push the bike to 30 MPH..The front wheel will read that speed...

MPG is a calculation that is the division of 2 static numbers. The distance and the fuel consumed.
If the ODOMETER is OFF then the calculation will be off..yes....but the real MPG is still MPG....

So..If a train leaves New York at 30 MPH and another train leaves Los Angeles at 45 MPH..How far will they travel to be 1/2 way to thier detination...?

secheltbob
Motorcycle: 1982 Goldwing Interstate

Postby secheltbob » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:44 am

Matching tire types front and back is always a good idea whichever tires you chose. You always want to have the same amount of tire to road friction with both tires.

eh.gif (167 Bytes) Viewed 4 times
I don't think I understand this...
Having different tires from front to rear is not a problem in my experience.
Currently MY 1500 has some radically different tires on the front from the rear ...for the past 20,000 miles with no problems...

Old racing friends of mine told me to use essentially the same type tires front and back. I guess if you know the particular rubber compounds you will have no problems. Might not have any problems anyway but it seems a good idea to have both wheels sticking to the road equally. The main difference that I can see will be cold weather or wet road riding with one tire being a harder compound than the other.

Read more: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=15814#ixzz2NFYnMFri

Wingsconsin

Postby Wingsconsin » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:43 pm

"Might not have any problems anyway but it seems a good idea to have both wheels sticking to the road equally. The main difference that I can see will be cold weather or wet road riding with one tire being a harder compound than the other."

I can get behind this idea...Having tires that actually grip the road surface is a really good thing. Selecting a tire compound that does this is an important step in choosing tires. The new dual compound tires (harder center & softer edges) are trying to accomodate the best of both worlds. My experience with one of these tires has shown a bit of propensity to cup if one does a lot of twisty riding. But I am using a tire ina non-conventional way so my results are probably not typical

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”