ntm gl1100 maint getting done w/pics

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
DetroitWingnut
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100

ntm gl1100 maint getting done w/pics

Post by DetroitWingnut » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:12 am

This 1980 gl 1100 rode home with me a couple of weeks ago. Talk about excited! I had taken it for a little test drive before I bought it, thought it ran pretty good.The plan was to enjoy riding it for awhile, then start doing the little things that new to me Goldwing owners do when they buy a 33 yr. old bike, and don't know what kind of service has been done over the years. Maybe needed some SeaFoam poured into gas tank to help clear up occasional miss, sooner or later check out check out the slight oil leak from the weep hole @ bottom of engine. I was a bit naive, and I thank 'ol man winter for saving me from myself! After the brief respite when I bought this bike, winter roared back to Michigan. I used this "time out" to peruse the computer, finding and reading tons of information about Goldwings on this great site as well as others. Wow! I was so ignorant of all things Goldwing I didn't even realize how ignorant I was!
I decided that I should at least change the timing belts before it got warm and I rode this beauty, so that is where this saga begins...
Attachments

DetroitWingnut

Re: ntm gl1100 maint getting done w/pics

Post by DetroitWingnut » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:30 am

Bought 2 Gates (T274, $12.99 ea.) timing belts, a Wix (24940, $6.29 ) oil filter, and a gallon of oil from O'Reilly Auto Parts. Cranked up the "Big Buddy" portable propane heater in the garage. Time to get started. With the help of my neighbor and good friend, the plan was to remove the timing covers and belts without fully removing the radiator. Bad plan. Ended up draining the coolant and removing radiator. Made access to covers and belts SOOO much easier, and made it possible to check water pump for play in bearing/shaft. ALL this was possible only because of what I (we) learned on Goldwing Docs.com ! Can't thank all the members and site admin enough!!!
Attachments
Last edited by DetroitWingnut on Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

DetroitWingnut

Post by DetroitWingnut » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:43 am

[attachment=0]goldwing maint. 3-24-13 006.JPG
Once the timing covers were off, and we had rotated the engine (using a ratchet and socket, didn't have an offset wrench right size) so that the gear marks should be lining up with the marks on the housing (@T-1), I was like, "what the hell?" Left side gear was off a tooth! Hmm. Could this be why the bike wasn't running perfectly smooth and occasionally missed? Could this maybe be why left side cylinders were a bit lower #'s on compression test? Have the valves been screwed up? The answer is, I just don't know. Yet. No doubt in my mind that once this is corrected I will notice a difference in how this beast runs!
Attachments
Todd getting his hands dirty
Todd getting his hands dirty
Last edited by DetroitWingnut on Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

DetroitWingnut

Post by DetroitWingnut » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:53 am

[attachment=0]goldwing maint. 3-24-13 013.JPG
Well, I will have to wait to find out if there was any damage to engine. But I do know that my spark igniters need to be filled with "any common epoxy" (thanks SiteAdmin!). There had been some black goo dribbled from beneath the fake gas tank onto the horn and timing cover below the igniters, giving us a clue to remove tank and check for this problem...
Attachments

DetroitWingnut

Post by DetroitWingnut » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:17 am

So my neighbor and I are sitting in the garage with our first Beam & Coke and decide to check the timing belt tension bearings...and one seems a little hinky. We pull them off, and one seems to have a dry rattling sound coming from it as we spin it. Needs fixing, more on our plan to make our own with bearing ordered from Rock Auto (at least I think that is where I ended up ordering them from; will post more on this later:) Note: My neighbor just bought a 1975 naked Goldwing, so everything we are doing to mine we are going to do to his later. So since everything is apart and not going back together today, off comes the water pump cover. Lo and behold, there is side-to-side movement of the impeller. Oil leak problem from weep hole identified and confirmed. Will post pictures of water pump removal with commentary in near future as time permits. (ordered 2 OEM water pumps and gasket kits from CycleMax.com, aprox. $320 for 2 ea.) Also will be posting pics and commentary after I have finished with these repairs and tackle the easy jobs of setting the valves, balancing the carbs, changing out the neutral switch and whatever else I can get done/needs to be done before it is warm enough to ride!
Attachments

DetroitWingnut

Post by DetroitWingnut » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:35 am

More on this later...
Attachments

bjatwood
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500 SE
1973 CB750 K3
1970 CT70-HKO

Post by bjatwood » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:08 pm

WOW your bonding with that machine in a get your hands down and dirty kind of way! After all of this maintenance work you should be good for 10 years! LOL

80-GL100-INT
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100I Interstate (current)
Previously Owned:
1981 CB 750 Custom
1976 CB 750 Super Sport (punched to 900)
1986 Kawasaki 440 LTD
1974 Suzuki 550
1986 Kawasaki Ninja 600 (First Street Bike-way back in '88)

Post by 80-GL100-INT » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:09 pm

Hello tmac123.
Hello to all,

I have been lurking around the board for a couple of weeks now. I thought I would pop in here just to say, I'm right there with you tmac. I just rolled my new to me '80 1100 off of my trailer last month. I too am going to go through mine and get it ready for spring. I don't want any unforeseen problems on my first long ride. From everything I've read here we shouldn't have any problems finding any answers to any issues that might come up. I hope that all goes smooth with yours.

If "WE THE PEOPLE" don't defend our rights...Who will?
"Government's first duty is protect the people, not run their lives."...Ronald Reagan

http://www.powdercoat.tk/