Rebuilt starter still having a problem

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
B0b88
Motorcycle: 1981 Goldwing GL1100

Rebuilt starter still having a problem

Postby B0b88 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:20 pm

I rebuilt the starter yesterday, took me forever to clean and polish everything, replaced the gear head with fresh grease put it back in the bike and it sounded stronger than ever... Came back out later to start my carb sync and now all I get is the solenoid click.. At that point I gave up for the night, going to to break out the multimeter when I get home from work and check it out... Question is on the brush that you unscrew to take off the brush plate the insulation on the two wires crumbled off, could this be why my starter just took a dump out of nowhere lol.. Also there were a couple nicks on the armature windings.. Would a tiny nick cause it to freeze up?

trashtruck
Motorcycle: 1982 gl1100 interstate

Re: Rebuilt starter still having a problem

Postby trashtruck » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:32 pm

had that problem on my cb750, found out it was the starter cable. i dont think a small nick on the armature would cause your problem but you may find you need to replace brushes more often. if the insulation on the brush wires came off that could cause them to ground to the starter housing. i would think that would blow the main fuse.
WHAT IS THE SPEED OF DARK?

B0b88

Postby B0b88 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:37 pm

I was thinking the same thing about the insulation... Can anyone confirm the blown fuse??? All my voltages to the solenoid and starter are good... Going to buy an aftermarket one off of eBay for $80 has anyone had any problems with these?

trashtruck

Postby trashtruck » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:10 pm

you can get the aftermarket starter, you'll have to reuse the rubber oring from the old starter as the new one often is too big and the starter wont go back in.

B0b88

Postby B0b88 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:41 pm

I was toying around with the starter right now, and when I took the pos cable off the starter bolt and touched it to the washer higher up on the bolt it turned a couple times and then the bolt got blistering hot... Is it possible to remove the second nut maybe by holding the bolt in place and clean all the metal on it?? Also the amount of heat after trying to start would that be confirming the uninsulated brush wires are grounded to the starter housing AND lolol if they were grounded to the starter housing wouldn't they just arc into nothing????

B0b88

Postby B0b88 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:43 pm

Meant to post this picture so you'd know which bolt I'm talking about...
Attachments

trashtruck

Postby trashtruck » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:38 pm

jeez, i hope i can explain this right. understand i've never been accused of being the brightest bulb in the pack. so, the pos charge from the battery goes to the solenoid. when you hit the start button, the solenoid activates and sends the charge to the starter. the charge travels through the starter housing via the bolt in question which is insulated from the case and goes to the brush. there is another brush attached to a plate which allows the charge to continue to the starter housing and then ground on the engine case activating the starter. if your bolt is getting hot, i would say something is grounding to the case before it's supposed to. what is puzzling me is it should be blowing at least the main fuse each time it happens. on my 82, my bolt is more towards the cylinder head.
Attachments

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Postby thrasherg » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:51 pm

Guys, there is no way the starter motor goes through any fuse.. The current draw of a starter motor is huge, it is not protected by a fuse, the wire will go from the starter motor to the starter relay and from the relay directly to the battery +ve terminal, there is NOT a fuse to protect the system from a defective starter motor.. The rest of the bikes electrics are protected by fuses, but not the starter motor. It does sound like you have a short in the starter motor (Either at the bolt in question or somewhere inside the starter motor) or a locked up engine!! You will damage the starter relay (and the battery) and weaken the wiring if you keep pressing the start button without finding the source of the problem. You need to verify the engine can turn over and if it can then remove the starter motor and open it up again to find the source of the short.

Gary

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”