Unstable Steering

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
g9mohr
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100i

Unstable Steering

Postby g9mohr » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:30 pm

Hi All,
I am new to this forum, and if this problem has been covered here somewhere before, I appologize for the redundancy.
I have just taken my '82 Interstate out for it's Spring ShakeDown Cruise and was unpleasantly surprised to find that it is "wallowing". It gives about the same feeling (only moreso) as you get when riding on rain grooves that have been cut into the pavement. When I put it away last fall, I did not notice anything abnormal. In fact, my bike would run straight enough and stable enough that I could remove my hands from the bars at about any speed and it would continue along the straight and narrow. I find that this spring I need to CONTINUALY correct the movement that I feel in the bars. It is work and requires constant attention to keep it in the right lane. It will pull to the right and then to the left. I have checked the tires, tire pressure, checked for looseness in the steering head, but have found nothing to be out of the ordinary. Has anyone else experienced this problem?
I appreciate any good advice anyone has to offer.
Thanks,

Gary

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Unstable Steering

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:28 pm

There are so many things that can cause this. Wheel bearings (front and rear), steering head bearings, swingarm bearings, tire problems, to name just a few. When my 1100 started doing this after I put new tires on, I found that the previous owner had installed the swingarm pivot pins backward. I swapped them back correctly, torqued them properly, and the problem went away.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”