quick carb question

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
PapaTater
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100

quick carb question

Postby PapaTater » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:41 pm

Carbs have rebuilt and all needles holes and everything unplugged. I did the leak test by hooking carbs. to tank with carbs sitting on ground, no leaks except after a bit, gas began coming out of the #1carbs intake. Is that the float needing more adjusting? I drained each carb and measured the gas in each one. 3 and 4 had 1/4 cup, 1 had a little more and 2 had a little less.

BigBro
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200i Interstate

Re: quick carb question

Postby BigBro » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:31 pm

I just did my carbs on a 1200. an 1100 of course have different carbs than a 1200 but for reference, while I didn't exactly measure the fuel I put in I am thinking it was like 350cc for the 4 carbs

I was pretty meticulous with setting the floats. Made a bridge gauge from an old rebate credit card so I know my floats were pretty close across the 4 of them.

My volume would be like 80cc per carb except that doesn't account for the piping and connections.

Now for yours if you drained all 4 at exactly the same time then you would get nearly the same amount of the piping fuel in each drain receptacle.
Since you drained them most likely 1 at a time you would have a variance there in volume.

That said, seeing you had a leak in #1 then most likely that one float is stuck or too high.
since you have to pull the rack anyway you should check all 4 and try to get them as close as possible to each other.

Hope that helps.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”