electrical

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
dug verstraete
Motorcycle: 1982 aspencade

electrical

Postby dug verstraete » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:25 pm

Put new battery on Aspencade in Feb.been on a battery tender since. Rode it today for the first time this season-got back shut it off and decided to re-start it. Clicking behind battery (fuse?) meter shows power. Was the fuse going bad or did I blow it with the new batt. and tender? Or is it a wiring problem some where else? Open for sugestions.

trashtruck
Motorcycle: 1982 gl1100 interstate

Re: electrical

Postby trashtruck » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:53 pm

the clicking you hear behind the battery is probably the solenoid. when you shut it down, did you turn off the gas valve at the tank? you may be hydrolocked.
WHAT IS THE SPEED OF DARK?

dug verstraete

Postby dug verstraete » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:17 pm

No. Did not shut valve.

trashtruck
Motorcycle: 1982 gl1100 interstate

Postby trashtruck » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:22 pm

to make sure you are not hydrolocked, move bike outside. you'll see why in a few minutes. remove spark plugs. turn kill switch off. turn key on. hit starter button. watch gas spray everywhere. ok, mabey not such a good idea. instead of hitting the start button, remove the stator housing plug, (17mm, just in front of battery). use 12mm offset wrench or socket and turn motor by hand, clockwise only. remember to turn off fuel valve at gas tank each time you park. if that doesnt cure it, you may need to pull starter and do a refresh.
WHAT IS THE SPEED OF DARK?

lacanars
Motorcycle: Current: 1982 GL1100I Interstate
Previous:
1981 Honda CM400C
1978 Yamaha XS400

Postby lacanars » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:24 pm

Whenever I here that click sound it means one of two things, starter or battery connection. If you just changed the battery I'm leaning to the connections. Check and make sure the connections at the battery are tights and clean, dirty or corroded connections won't allow enough current to get to the starter, and then you get the clicking sound. If that's not the case you may have a starter that went bad.

dug verstraete

Postby dug verstraete » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:31 am

Did the connection check. We're clean as I thought they would be. I'm afraid it's the starter. Maybe the original one. Well now that that's settled I'll move on to the next project before it gets to nice. I m wondering if I'm able to move the seat farther back. In it's farthest back position would the seat be against the bottom of the rider's backrest? Have tried to move it but with no luck. Either all the way back or somthing is blocking it

lacanars
Motorcycle: Current: 1982 GL1100I Interstate
Previous:
1981 Honda CM400C
1978 Yamaha XS400

Postby lacanars » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:00 am

Pull the left (as you sit on the bike) side bag lid, look right under the seat, there is a lever to pull out, there are only 3 adjustment slots, if the back of the rise on the seat is just under the edge of the trunk then it is all the way back, on the front where it sits in the bracket on the false tank it will be barely left under and you can see a small gap between the seat and the tank. Mine is all the way and wish I had a couple more inches, need to relocate my trunk already for the wife, with the drivers backrest it doesn't leave her alot of room, she fits snug.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”