Adding a Bluetooth phone interface to my GL1100 intercom

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Adding a Bluetooth phone interface to my GL1100 intercom

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:24 pm

I had read about a few people hooking their cell phones up to the intercom on their bike. I had been thinking about this, but really didn't want to physically wire my phone into the bike - because this meant before riding, I'd have to get my phone out, plug it in, and stuff the phone in a fairing pocket or something - which is something I just wouldn't do: I'd never bother actually hooking it up.

What would be ideal really, would be a Bluetooth module in the bike, so when I rode with my phone in my pants pocket, and it rang, I could just talk over the intercom on it, without having to touch the phone, or deal with any wires.

I started looking around at standalone Bluetooth modules, and was appalled - $120, $150, $200....all for a basic Bluetooth module that had the same functionality as a typical Bluetooth earpiece.

So instead, I decided to go cheap and see what I could throw together. I went to Target and bought the cheapest Bluetooth earpiece that I could find. It turned out to be a Jabra BT2040, that they were selling for $20. I see the same unit for sale on the Internet for under $10. This unit is perfect - it doesn't have a rechargeable battery inside it, you have to put a AAAA (yes, four A's - it's smaller than a AAA) battery into it, and when it wears out, you replace the battery. Because I planned to wire it into my bike, I didn't care that it didn't have a rechargeable battery - the bike would power it.

The first step was to build a power supply that ran off the extremely variable voltage provided by the bike (anywhere from 9 to 15 volts), and reduces this to a consistent 1.5 volts (actually I went with 1.7 volts, because that was easier to do with the components I had on hand). Because the bus voltage in the bike is notoriously noisy (the rectifier does not smooth out the AC from the stator into smooth clean DC, it's full of ripples and noise), I used some capacitors to clean it up and provide a nice, smooth, clean 1.7 volts.

Next, I disassembled the earpiece I had purchased. This earpiece has no volume controls, and everything is controlled using a single button. I cut out the microphone and speaker, and ran wires from them through some resistors to attenuate the signals, through some decoupling capacitors, and out to the bike intercom. I needed to bring the switch control out to the outside of the bike's fairing, so I had to disassemble the tiny switch on the earpiece and solder tiny wires to it.

Not 100% required, but the earpiece also had a flashing blue LED that let you know when it was on, and in use. I thought it would be nice to have a similar LED on the fairing, to give some idea of the operational status of the module. However, the LED itself was a microscopic surface-mount LED, so I had to desolder it from the earpiece circuit board, and tack solder some wires in its place, that I could then connect to a new LED.

Because of these two items (the switch and the LED), I would not recommend this for the average do-it-yourselfer. I have a stereoscopic surface-mount rework microscope and specialized soldering equipment to work with surface-mount components (the tip of the soldering iron is about the size of a sewing needle).

After I had tacked wires onto the earpiece circuit board, I hot-glued it to the main circuit breadboard I had created that held the power supply, and soldered the wires from the earpiece board to larger, more secure pigtails that came off the main board.

I took the whole thing out to my motorcycle, wired it in as a test, turned it on, linked it to my cell phone, and tried it out. To my surprise, it worked perfectly, the very first time! When my cell phone rings, I hear a special ring tone over the bike intercom, and a second later, it picks up the call automatically. I can then hear the calling party over the bike intercom, and when I talk, they can hear me. To end the call, I press the button that I wired into the earpiece.

When the bike is first turned on, the Bluetooth module does not come on - so I can ride in peace if I want. However, if I need to be reachable, I can turn it on after the bike is on by holding the button down for three seconds. If I like, I can turn it off by doing the same thing again.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Re: Adding a Bluetooth phone interface to my GL1100 intercom

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:25 pm

I spent the afternoon wiring this into my bike and testing it. Unfortunately I have absolutely no pictures of any of this, because my wife took our camera to a wedding this weekend.

I mounted the circuit into a plastic box, put two pots on the top to adjust transmit and receive audio levels, and a DB9 connector, to make it easy to wire in and disconnect should I want to.

I mounted a small momentary pushbutton and a blue LED in the fairing of the bike, right above the left pocket. When the bike is turned on, I push this button and hold it down until the blue light turns on. At that time, I hear tones over the intercom from the Bluetooth module to let me know it's turned on, and at the same time, it connects to my phone. From that point forward, it will answer calls.

When my phone rings, I hear a musical tone over the intercom, and about a second later, it answers the phone, and I am connected to the caller. Anything I say into my microphone, the caller hears, and vice versa.

To hang up, I press the button on the fairing, or it will disconnect automatically if the caller hangs up.

I can similarly dial out by taking my phone out and dialing, and as soon as it connects, the call is routed to my helmet.

Because of the way it is wired, if I have music playing on the radio, the caller will hear the music. No easy way around that, I just have to remember to turn it down/off. That said, if either I or the caller speak, it mutes the music anyway, so it's not that big of a deal.

So I have done what I set out to do...with one caveat.

When the bike is running, there is a LOT of alternator noise - so much so that if the engine is running at more than about 3,000 RPM, the caller cannot hear me over the noise. I know it's the stator/rectifier, because if I disconnect the stator while the engine is running, the noise disappears.

I'm going to put a choke on the power supply input (I've included that choke on the schematic), but I also plan to get my scope out and confirm that the noise is actually making it past the caps and regulator in my circuit (which I was surprised at). If it is, then I'll have to find another way of killing it. If it is not, then I've got a problem with grounds somewhere, and that will be a bit more tricky to solve.

The Bluetooth module utilizes the system ground for the mic's ground, but NOT for the speaker ground, so I had to isolate the speaker output (both signal and ground) with capacitors in order to protect the audio finals of the Bluetooth module. If there is noise being injected due to a floating ground, I'm suspecting this is where it is happening. If this is the case, I may have to swap those caps for a coil or something.

In any case, it's working well enough, but I'll let you know what improvements I come up with as I work on it.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:28 pm

OK, I had a couple hours this afternoon to pull things apart and chase down the source of the noise. Turns out the ground I was using to power the circuit was pulled from the accessory terminal - and there is 15 OHMS difference between it and the ground used by the intercom/component terminal. That's a HUGE amount when it comes to line-level audio, and was the source of the noise.

I took the ground I was using and connected it to the component terminal case. Once I did this, the difference between the ground in my Bluetooth circuit and the ground in the intercom was 0.1 ohms. Much better. This eliminated the alternator whine noise.

I was left with a new noise, however: a high pitched buzz, that was being injected into the intercom's microphone circuit, coming out of the "earphone" circuit of the Bluetooth module. I got my scope out and discovered that it was actually coming from the ground as well - but this time it was originating from the Bluetooth module, as its digital transmitter operated.

While the Bluetooth module's microphone shared its ground with the power supply, the "earphone out" of the Bluetooth module did not - it was a floating ground. However, the Goldwing shares a common ground between its microphone and headphone circuits. Because of this, I had decoupled the Bluetooth "earphone out" ground from the main circuit ground with a capacitor. This wasn't good enough - it allowed the module to inject the transmitter noise into the microphone.

I instead removed the decoupling capacitors and replaced them with a small 1:1 audio transformer that I had sitting around. As soon as I did this, the transmitter noise disappeared.

I'm quite happy with the result, the sound is loud and clear, and the calling party can hear me quite clearly as well.

Here's the modified circuit as it stands now:

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:26 pm

After two long rides this weekend, I think I'm going to isolate the Bluetooth mic input with a transformer as well, as it is still picking up some noise (while the noise from the Bluetooth module into the intercom is completely gone). I'll let everyone know how it works when I find some time to do it!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:03 pm

I added the second transformer and deleted the capacitors that it replaced, and the noise has vanished. The caller is quite clear and understandable over the bike intercom, and they can hear me clearly and with minimal noise (outside of the engine & wind noise picked up by the mic). I'm very happy with the results and am going to call this project complete. Here's the final schematic, I added some part numbers to help anyone who wants to give this a try.

oneted

Postby oneted » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:47 am

i have a GL1100A with the radio CB and intercom and i am trying to find out what the weiring is for the headset socket as the branch lead is missing i am hopping to make a replacement if you have this lead is it possible for you to let me know how it is wired the photo shows the amp with the socket for the branch lead your help will be most welcome
Attachments

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:31 pm

Just a follow-up to this: I got a new phone (traded my Treo for Palm Pre), and this one doesn't answer automatically. My Treo would ring once, and then answer. The Pre just rings and rings, until I press the button I wired onto the headset. Not ideal, but there's obviously something about the phone that determines how it answers.

giffen49
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Postby giffen49 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:38 am

Would the same setup work on a Bluetooth equipped GPS? Not that I would like to hear that annoying voice all the time but going through towns or looking for tricky locations, it does come in handy.

I have a 1983 GL1100A.

Thanks

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:55 pm

I don't think so - at least on my GPS unit, the bluetooth built into it actually acts as a speakerphone. You can pair a phone up with the GPS, and use the GPS as a speakerphone for the cell phone. I don't think you could pair the GPS with a headset.

CapnDenny1
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100

Postby CapnDenny1 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:27 am

Pretty cool project there. I may end up with a blue tooth headset. I don't have anything on my GW. No intercom, or CB or nuttin', so I am pretty much starting from scratch. Neat project though. Kind of blending the old with the new.

propstop

Postby propstop » Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:27 am

Ever thought about building these for sale for us dummies?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:00 am

Yeah, I have given it some thought. It would have to be using something other than this Jabra headset though - the soldering under a microscope is really no fun, and it takes a long time.

I've looked into using off-the-shelf Bluetooth modules, but they are $60 instead of the $15 Jabra.

propstop

Postby propstop » Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:49 am

I don't think anyone would complain about the cost. Let the customer pick his headset and send it to ya. Or just offer the one you would prefer to work with. Might be the next million dollar idea. Good luck.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:41 am

I picked the headset I used specifically because it does not use a rechargeable battery - it uses a single, replaceable 1.5 volt AAAA cell. I wanted it to be powered by the bike - but most rechargeable headsets, when you plug them into power, they shut off and go into "recharge mode." I needed one that I could supply external power to, and would run correctly from it. The Jabra was it - I built a power supply circuit to bring the bike's 14-odd volts down to about 1.5, and injected that directly into the headset to power it. Works great.

gordonv
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500
1999 GL1500CF
1982 GL1100A

Postby gordonv » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:03 pm

I love what you have done. Made something to fit your bike. I also like these little projects and can relate to what you have done. I usually take others ideas and improve them, streamline, miniturize, etc, and I was also thinking of your problems with the stator noice in your intercom post, and if a 12V isolated power supply for your intercom/radio would fix this also.

I still need to get an intercom set for my Aspencade (and Valkyrie), and when I learn how to use the intercom, then most likely I'll look into doing this project of yours for my bikes also, so I could also use the phone.

I've checked Digikeys site for the REG you've posted as using, and it comes up as a 3.3V, and you had mentioned that the battery was a 1.5V, but you used a 1.7V REG. Am I seeing this right or am I missing something?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:18 pm

You are missing something - the two 1N4001 diodes that come immediately after the regulator. Each one has a 0.8 volt drop, so the two together drops the 3.3 volts down to 1.7 volts, which is close enough.

As I may have mentioned later, decoupling the audio inputs and outputs of the bluetooth interface with a pair of audio transformers eliminated the stator noise.

gordonv
1999 GL1500CF
1982 GL1100A

Postby gordonv » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:03 am

Yes, I see that now. I'm not too electronicly savy, I would have thought you would have used resisters to lower the voltage. I thought the diodes was to insure power was going in the right direction.

I was referring to your post about the noise from the stator, not in your Bluetooth, I think it was your intercom system. Since you have shown a relation to the stator and the voltage load on the system, why not make a "clean" 12V power supply for the radio/intercom system, which would be separate from the regular wiring system. Your only talking about a power supply from the battery, and a couple of power leads to your radio system.

This is what I was thinking you might do (maybe me once I get my own intercom working, ans there's static) instead of the addition of thos running lights you installed to draw some of the load away.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:57 am

gordonv wrote:Yes, I see that now. I'm not too electronicly savy, I would have thought you would have used resisters to lower the voltage. I thought the diodes was to insure power was going in the right direction.

I could have used resistors to create a voltage divider network to drop the voltage after the regulator - but I a) wanted to keep the overall power usage down, and keep the load on the 3.3 volt regulator down to prevent heat, b) knew the exact voltage drop of the diodes, so I wouldn't have to get my calculator out to design a voltage divider network, and c) had the diodes right there in front of me to use. :)

gordonv wrote:I was referring to your post about the noise from the stator, not in your Bluetooth, I think it was your intercom system. Since you have shown a relation to the stator and the voltage load on the system, why not make a "clean" 12V power supply for the radio/intercom system, which would be separate from the regular wiring system. Your only talking about a power supply from the battery, and a couple of power leads to your radio system.

Oh, right. In fact, I *have* thought of doing just exactly what you describe - and I probably still plan to do it at some point. The problem is designing a stable 12 volt regulator that can handle the current required by all of the audio products (radio tuner, CB, power amplifier, intercom) - it would have to run all of them a) because that's how they are wired together, and b) because running just one of them off clean power, and then injecting noise from another component is pretty pointless. It would have to be able to handle a good 15 amps - and there is no off-the-shelf regulator that could do that. I'd thought of using a 7812 regulator cascaded through several large power transistors, like some 2N3055's - and this would be both bulky, and generate a fair bit of heat. So it's still in my mind, but I haven't done it yet.

gordonv
1999 GL1500CF
1982 GL1100A

Postby gordonv » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:44 pm

I haven't looked over the number of fueses and amps that each one is yet, as I don't need to do this (yet) for my bike. So if we take your 15A as the amount of power the regulartor will need to handle, this is something I can look for.

I wouldn't think heat would be too much of a problem for a motorcycle. Attach a few fins, or run the water line close by (or both).
Last edited by gordonv on Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:12 pm

gordonv wrote:I haven't looked over the number of fueses and amps that each one is yet, as I don't need to do this (yet) for my bike. So if we take your 15A as the amount of power the regulartor will need to handle, this is something I can look for.

I wouldn't think heat would be too much of a problem for a motorcycle. Attach a few fines, or run the water line close by (or both).

Except I prefer to keep my electronics dry...which usually means mounting them inside the fairing. Not much ventilation in there. :)

gordonv
1999 GL1500CF
1982 GL1100A

Postby gordonv » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:36 pm

How about something like this?

http://www.circuitstoday.com/12v-15a-voltage-regulator

What would you do, sub the AC power with just the bikes battery DC?

They said the TIP 22955 was expensive, but Digi had them for $1.55 ea, so I'm guessing around $10 for clean steady 12V 15A power.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:16 pm

Basically, yeah, that's the idea - although I prefer the 2N3055's, both because I've worked with them before, and because I have a big box of them in my basement. :)

But again, the limiting factor are those power transistors - they will get mighty hot. Probably hot enough to melt the ABS that the fairing is made out of. That's one of the reasons I haven't made one...yet.

FrankQC
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800

Postby FrankQC » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:06 pm

@ WingAdmin:

I just used your excellent bluetooth idea on my '08 GL1800 with NAV. Instead of using a bluetooth earpiece, I purchased a Motorola T325 speakerphone. http://www.motorola.com/Consumers/US-EN/Consumer-Product-and-Services/Mobile+Phone+Accessories/Car-Accessories/Speakerphones/T325-US-EN

I did that for several reasons:

1- It has voice recognition (it downloads my phone's contacts automatically, up to 1500 contacts)
2- It has voice prompts (bluetooth status, battery status, and so on...)
3- It has a caller ID prompt with name & number
4- IMPORTANT: it has an automatic on/off connect/disconnect feature with a built-in accelerometer. If it is not connected to my phone and the accelerometer detects a movement, it then connect by itself (if powered ;-))
5- MOST IMPORTANT: It was on sale ! Paid about $40 for it.

An soon as I start up my bike, I hear "Battery level is high" and then "Connected to Frank's phone" in my headset. If for some reason I walk away of my bike (>20 feets for 20 seconds), it disconnects from my phone. When I get back, I just sit on the bike and I hear "Connected to Frank's phone". That feature is really nice and It really looks like factory integrated !

I've put the T325 inside the left fairing pocket, so I can mess with its buttons if I need to change settings (prompts, profiles, pairing, ...)

I just wanted to thank you. I know your original post was a long time ago but that was a great idea.

FrankQC
Last edited by FrankQC on Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:28 pm

That's great! I like the voice control idea. I may have to look at that for the next version, if I go ahead and build one. :)

gordonv
1999 GL1500CF
1982 GL1100A

Postby gordonv » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:35 pm

So I don't under stand a few things with the motorola T325.

How is it powered, you need to remove and recharge?

Is it wired into the bike, you mention it has a speaker, so it does not utilize the internal speaker and mic from the bike, so how is it usful, can you drive and use it?

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”