Ramp idea for my bike

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Ramp idea for my bike

Postby littlebeaver » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:02 pm

Hello 1100 dudes, a lot of you guys have seen my break away ramp system that I made a few years back, I absolutely love it to remove the rear wheel and get in to the swingarm ect. It places my bike in perfect reach from my rolling stool and it's cheap to make..Many of you guys know that I think of different ways of doing things, out of the normal way of thinking...I just thought of an idea that will work nicely for some guys that have trailers...See if you design a ramp with a front flat platform about 2 feet after the ramp and make it all one piece solid so you can ride it up your trailer, stop, get off the bike after you are on the trailer and place your bike on the centerstand a few inches from the end of the trailer and raise that sucker, then remove the ramp and go to work..The only thing is ,,,you must place down safety jack stands on each corner of the trailer before trying this...shoot I think this would work perfectly but you gotta have a trailer... :D It's the same idea as my breakaway ramp but I'm just using the trailer instead.. :D I would say the platform should be 2'x2' square and the attached ramp at least 3' long by 2' wide..

littlebeaver
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Re: Ramp idea for my bike

Postby littlebeaver » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:19 am

Here is my old break away ramp idea, it should work just fine on a trailer too..

all you need is the back ramp though..Note: Make sure your pitch or slope is long enough if you make a ramp, my first one wasn't and I got hung up at the bottom of the engine and about died laughing because I couldn't get unstuck :shock: , almost pee pee'd myself laughing so hard and had to call the wife for help..so don't do that..This is not for any wussy boys out there...I might get me some material today and make a custom ramp for the back of my trailer and try this new idea of mine...Anyone want to see this done? If not screw it I'll keep it to myself... :lol: :lol:

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby RBGERSON » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:43 am

Since you like thinking outside the box..here's my solution for changing rear tires. Pull the bike up on the side walk close to the curb, put down the center stand..THEN turn the bike so the rear wheel hangs off the curb..now you have the extra space to drop the wheel. :D
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

littlebeaver

Postby littlebeaver » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:15 am

RBGERSON wrote:Since you like thinking outside the box..here's my solution for changing rear tires. Pull the bike up on the side walk close to the curb, put down the center stand..THEN turn the bike so the rear wheel hangs off the curb..now you have the extra space to drop the wheel. :D

Hey that's a good idea and cheaper too....I just can't see me out front late at night doing work on my bike though :lol: good idea though, I like it RB....

tunaboy
Motorcycle: 1980GL1100 NICE!

Postby tunaboy » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:17 am

Beav, Got drawings for the ramp system in the picture? Do you attach the ramp to main unit so it will not slide away as you back your WIng down?

littlebeaver

Postby littlebeaver » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:17 pm

Tunaboy , I do not have drawings or plans for this but I do have photo's it's really pretty simple, just seeing the pieces may be enough,,I thought for sure somebody would want to see me do this on the trailer and maybe crash and burn, but I have had zero requests so I will leave that alone or just not post it I guess :cry: ....Gosh darn it... :lol: anyway here are some photo's of the stand,, I used door latches to keep everything together and from moving as I ride up...I unhinge and break it away leaving just the one piece which is like 16" wide I think.....
Hinged with door latch and screw eye
Hinged with door latch and screw eye
I think I used 2x8's for the framing and 3/4" plywood for the top and screws...for the ramp I came back 16" then added the ramps slope which was like 30" or so..It's in Kansas City so I can't go out and take exact dimensions...With the bike on the center stand it's like the same height as a HF bike lift, the trailer is 22- 3/4" high..Hello... :shock: .. it should be way up there :lol: :lol: ...Insanity...But cheap and easy...I make it look easy in the video because it really is easy ....to me.. :D Again if you are taking medicine don't try this or if you are just plumb goofy don't do it either.. :lol: Hey my jack stands are too short for the trailers frame,,,I may have to block it up then use the jack stands Not a problem..

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”