Toggle Switch Question

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 I
1981 Honda CM400C

Toggle Switch Question

Postby patbrandon1 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:11 pm

Today I replaced the three toggle switches that are on the left panel of my Wing. They are illuminated when the switch is in the on position.

My question is, would a bad toggle switch possibly cause a fuse to blow when I turn the toggle switch OFF. It seems that this has happened about 3 times. The switch that causes this is the one for the fog lights, 2@35 watts. A few times after I shut the switch off, when I went to turn it back on, there was no power. The reason I know that the power fuse goes when I shut OFF the light is because my radio is on the same fuse, and I watch the face go out when I turn the switch off. The radio has a mini blade fuse @ 10A in the back, and it doesn't blow. The fog light comes off the fuse block at the ACC position, and is 10A as well. And I also have an in line fuse 10A before the toggle switches.

I replaced all of the toggles so that they would match, and in case the old toggle for the fog lights was causing the problem. Good water resistant switches from Radio Shack. All of the connections are soldered, and shrink taped. I haven't ridden yet, but did try turning the fogs on ten or so times. So far, no blown fuse.

But I would like any input about the possible cause. I attached a few picks of the new switches, because I know I like pics, and so may some others.

The switches operate as follows...The bottom switch turns on the little fancy LED lights on my fairing lowers. The middle switch turns on the fog lights. The upper switch has power to it but not controlling anything yet. I tell people that when I turn it on, it is opening someone's garage door in Northern Canada.

Motorcycle: 1982 gl1100 interstate

Re: Toggle Switch Question

Postby trashtruck » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:19 am

trade switches with one of the others to see if its bad. if not you may have a wiring problem. you may have to move either the radio or the lights to a different circuit if the power draw exceeds the rating for the switch. ie: radio 10 amp, lights 10 amp, switch 15 amp.

Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Postby thrasherg » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:44 am

As the toggle switch probably only switches positive to a relay or the fog lights, it's really unlikely that it could blow the fuse when turning off. As someone suggested, try swapping it with one of the two other switches, but it's a very slim chance that the switch is causing the fuse to blow!! I think you have another fault somewhere, but swapping the switches is the first thing you should do to be sure.

Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:33 pm

Keep in mind those lighted switches also have a ground, in order for the light to function. There's a +12V in, a switched +12V out, and a ground. The light is hooked up between the switched +12V and the ground, so it lights up when the switch is on. For that reason, it IS possible that something has failed inside the switch that is connecting the +12V to ground when it is being switched off.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”