1982 gl1100i trike front end

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
trikerbob
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Interstate trike

1982 gl1100i trike front end

Postby trikerbob » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:30 am

Hi guys, i am in need of some advice.
I have a 1982 trike GL1100 interstate just had the back end rebuilt at my local garage, they put the trike onto a purpose built jig & found the back end to be out by 2inches one side & between 4/5 inches the other side, so now everything is as it should be right? wrong!!! the trike sits straight & square from the rear but from the front the front end leans slightly to your left as you stand in front of it.
While it was on the jig i had them check out the alignment of the headstock but this was showing to as true as it should be (no accident damage).
A while ago i had the front fork oil seals replaced & filled with the correct amount of fork oil, rebuilt the front end & this is the result.
I know it is a headache but how do i adjust the front end so it stands upright instead of looking like it cant be bothered anymore lol.
Your help is appreciated guys.
Ride safe & stay free on three.
Trikerbob 8-)

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Re: 1982 gl1100i trike front end

Postby tfdeputydawg » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:01 am

If the bike in your avatar pic is the "trike" you are talking about it appears to be one to which a "outrigger" has been added.
So, assuming this, it is not a true trike but, now a 4-wheeler.
The reason for saying this is the attitude of the bike when supported by this accessory is totally dependent on how well the preload is set.
Now having said that and reading you post several times and not being able to review the bike in person I can only speculate:
How does the bike track when riding it? Does it "pull" if you lighten you grip on the bars? Do you have to maintain some degree of constant input into the grips to keep the bike tracking straight down the road?
Have you checked the head bearings? Not worn and torqued properly?
Have you checked the forks themselves to make sure they are straight and not bent?
Maybe you should be looking at the fairing to make sure it is mounted "straight". If everything is checking good as far as the frame goes, it could be a crooked fairing mount problem.

trikerbob

Postby trikerbob » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:25 pm

Hi & thanks for your reply, Yes the trike is the one in my avatar, No the forks are not bent, Yes the fairing is mounted straight (checked by the garage at the time of repair), No I have not checked the torque of the headstock bearings, Yes I do to some degree have to hold the handlebars otherwise yes she does pull to the left.
I do not understand the meaning of outrigger & thus it is now a 4-wheeler, where do you get the fourth wheel from, I did not state iot was a true trike the trike has had an abortion of a backend attached which has now been properly re-done to a trike spec & not a bodge it together job like when I first bought it (see my other posts re-wiring).

trike lady
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade with Voyager (Sold)
1983 GL650I SilverWing Interstate

Postby trike lady » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:19 pm

In the states we have units that add a set of extra wheels to any motorcycle (Voyager & Insta-trike) and they use the drive wheel and thus 4 wheels. They are referred to as 'Out-rigger wheels' and sometimes 'Training wheels'.
If everything has checked out, you may want to check the triple trees.
I.M.B.B.A. Technician II Certified

trikerbob

Postby trikerbob » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:04 am

Ok i was not aware of that, no this has a reliant back axle instead of the rear wheel, i was going to suggest the triple trees are they adjustable in any way as the amount it is out is 1.2 degrees, its the only thing i can think of is if there is any play in the headstock top or bottom bearing or even both then obviously this would be the cause of my problems, if not the steering shaft on the top & bottom yoke might be bent, if so i will have to replace the triple trees, :(

trike lady
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade with Voyager (Sold)
1983 GL650I SilverWing Interstate

Postby trike lady » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:33 pm

The stock GL triple trees are non-adjustable. Wear of the bearings and cups or a bent stem would make it tilted.

I.M.B.B.A. Technician II Certified

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”