Smoking rear tire

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Gr8Heath
Motorcycle: 1981 Honda Goldwing 1100 Interstate

Smoking rear tire

Postby Gr8Heath » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:19 pm

I've always gotten good advice here, so here comes one more issue. Last season I rebuilt my front braking system. I left the rear alone because it was asymptomatic. Last week I return from work and notice the rear rotar was HOT. No prob, I can fix that. My concern is that the rear tire was literally smoking after my 20 mile ride home, but was not hot to the touch. The smoke was coming from the side walls, not the tread. This lasted 20 minutes after I got home. Any thought?

Calzone
Motorcycle: 1980 Interstate

Re: Smoking rear tire

Postby Calzone » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:41 am

It sounds easy enough, The tire is rubbing on something. ..Pull it up on the centerstand and spin it around and look for the part it is rubbing on. If you replaced the tire be sure it is no larger then 130 size, any fatter and they can rub.
Good luck.

trashtruck
Motorcycle: 1982 gl1100 interstate

Postby trashtruck » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:59 am

i cant be certain but it sounds like the rear brake caliper is starting to freeze up, hence the hot rotor. if the tire was smoking from the left side, it may have brake fluid or something else on it if it is not rubbing.
WHAT IS THE SPEED OF DARK?

Dakotaman
Motorcycle: 1983 Honda Goldwing Standard

Postby Dakotaman » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:12 am

As for the rear tire, it probably is rubbing against the brake caliper brace bar, if your tire is too big. I had a 140/90/16 on the back, and there was two rub lines on the sidewall. My wife didn't say she saw smoke, but she said she could smell rubber burning. I had it replaced with a 130/90/16 and so far so good!!

Gr8Heath

Postby Gr8Heath » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:35 am

Good advice, but I have the standard tire size currently. I do know that the brakes are continously gripping, resulting in a hot rotor. Like I mentioned, I can fix that. Was just curious about the side wall tire smoke, even though the tire was cool to the touch. Nothing is rubbing, except for the brake pads of course. I've owned 6 bikes and this is a first. Will replace or rebuilt the rear caliper next. Will let everyone know how it helps. Thanks all!

Dakotaman
Motorcycle: 1983 Honda Goldwing Standard

Postby Dakotaman » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:15 am

Oops!! My bad read! Hope you get it figured out, or get it fixed.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:55 am

Gr8Heath wrote:My concern is that the rear tire was literally smoking after my 20 mile ride home, but was not hot to the touch. The smoke was coming from the side walls, not the tread. This lasted 20 minutes after I got home. Any thought?

Was it actually smoke - as in - could you smell it as smoke? Or could it have been steam from a cold tire being ridden on till it began to warm up and evaporate moisture? I certainly hope the latter.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

Wingsconsin
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 - Pearl Orange
1996 GL1500 Aspencade - Pearl Blue
1992 GL1500 Aspencade -Candy Red
1983 Suzuki GS850GL - Blue & Black

Postby Wingsconsin » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:56 pm

An underinflated tire will develop a LOT of heat...?
Check tire pressures before every ride is a good rule --especially early in the season when temps are changing
Postings are my opinions based on experience and acquired knowledge.
Your results may vary. Universal disclaimers apply.

Motorcycle Adventure Storys writen by me
http://neverlost-justexploring.blogspot.com/

Gr8Heath

Postby Gr8Heath » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:37 pm

Wingsconsin wrote:An underinflated tire will develop a LOT of heat...?
Check tire pressures before every ride is a good rule --especially early in the season when temps are changing

Very true. However I checked pressure just prior to going to work. I have to admit it could be water evaporation. It's just odd because none of my other bikes have ever done that, not that that necessarily means anything. Also, while trouble shooting, the cap of the rear brake fluid reservoir was not properly sealed. I wouldn't thing that would cause this issue. Anyone agree? Last season I rebuilt the front brakes just by resurfacing the brake piston and cleaning guide rods. Hope that is all it will take

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”